Decision time: IE8 vs W3 for Techno/Electronic music (Sony A829).................
Mar 18, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...so you say, grasshopper.

hop....hop....hop....
tongue.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the post tstarn. I looked high and low for a cheap price on the Westone 3 and could not find one near the price you got them for. I am glad you posted. I got my IE8's from Ncixus.com for $228 plus shipping. I was able to do this by calling up Ncix and talking to a rep. While he was still on the phone with me, I ordered them online just to make sure I got the quoted price. I would never order the IE8's through Ncixus by just going online. So it appears that it is possible that someone could purchase the IE8 or W3 along similar price lines. Thank you for the correction.

As I noted on the other thread (IE8 appreciation), I found the W3s for $379 shipped on roaddogonline (trustworthy US etailer) but could not find the IE8s with a quoted price (Headroom says to call for price). Last I heard Headroom had them for $319 (plus shipping, I believe). So the prices are closer than I thought. I read the IE8s are very hard to find in stock for the lower prices, and NCIX doesn't even have them listed on the US version of their site. I did get mine without a phone call, for the same price you did. But that was 2-3 weeks ago. Yes, I was very lucky to get the W3s for $260.

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8's has one of the poorest noise isolation in any earphone I have ever heard....maybe I'm too used to the SE530s superior noise isolation. The BASS from the IE8's are too overwhelming and also the HIGHS are too emphasized and unnatural. Also the MIDS.....well there is no comparison between the Shure SE530s because the IE8's just simply get mopped up on the floor. Like I said before "I" prefer the sound signature of the Shure SE530s because they sound more natural to me than the IE8's or Westone 3 another BASS heavy, HIGHs too emphasized earphones. All 3 of these earphones suit different people but to my ears the Shure SE530s which is a 3 year old earphone is a clear winner by a mile and a half.

Too bad you only heard the IE8s for 2 minutes (if that). Probably with the tips that were already on it, not a fair comparison. But we already crossed this bridge. I have no problem with someone preferring one HP over another, but they way you present it is comical.

Quote:

Also the earphones I want next are not even going to be universal since "I" think the Shure SE530s dominate the universal market. I'm heading for the Westone ES3X and a high end amp to end my search for the holy grail of portable audio...At this moment I am more than satisfied with the liquid smooth and natural sound my Shure SE530s are shooting down my ear canals.

I can agree with you there...ES3X sounds like an awesome IEM, but I don't think you will like it as it is similar to the W3, which you state is bass heavy and high emphasized. The se530 has a different sound sig than the W3 or ES3X from what I have read.

Quote:

Also you guys can keep ganging up on me like little butt buddies I really couldn't care less what the internet has to think of me.....Also your negative comments about me are a bit entertaining....keep em' coming!!!
popcorn.gif

Who is ganging up? I think most of the other posters just walk on by, I am the only one taking the bait! And the reason I reply is entertainment.

Quote:

Lemme help you.......VoLTaG3 has to be the biggest fanboy ever!!!.....

Can't disagree. But you still reek of being a chicken because you still won't answer the questions posed to you.
popcorn.gif

Edit: On a side note, I somewhat admire your tenacity

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad you only heard the IE8s for 2 minutes (if that). Probably with the tips that were already on it, not a fair comparison. But we already crossed this bridge. I have no problem with someone preferring one HP over another, but they way you present it is comical.

I listened to it with songs I am listen to the most on the SE530s and to my ears the SE530s do everything better expect the soundstage but it has better imaging than the IE8's.

Quote:

I can agree with you there...ES3X sounds like an awesome IEM, but I don't think you will like it as it is similar to the W3, which you state is bass heavy and high emphasized. The se530 has a different sound sig than the W3 or ES3X from what I have read.

I was told the ES3X's has the same high presentation as the SE530s but it was more detailed...I may be wrong but I want a custom earphone anyway so I'll have to get used to the new sound signature. I will never downgrade and buy another high end universal earphone so customs or full sized cans are the only way to go.

Quote:

Who is ganging up? I think most of the other posters just walk on by, I am the only one taking the bait! And the reason I reply is entertainment.

I'm glad I'm entertaining you and you find me comical...I like making people laugh..glad I'm making you laugh!
icon10.gif

Quote:

Can't disagree. But you still reek of being a chicken because you still won't answer the questions posed to you.
popcorn.gif

What questions? How long I listened to the IE8's? For about 1 hour until my ears forced me to take them off since it was a downgrade to me. How long they were burned in? about 200 hours... Whats tips? The medium tips already on them....

Quote:

Edit: On a side note, I somewhat admire your tenacity

Thanks!!!

Mar 18, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #35 of 47
Quote:

I listened to it with songs I am listen to the most on the SE530s and to my ears the SE530s do everything better expect the soundstage but it has better imaging than the IE8's.

What questions? How long I listened to the IE8's? For about 1 hour until my ears forced me to take them off since it was a downgrade to me. How long they were burned in? about 200 hours... Whats tips? The medium tips already on them....

Just remember how long it took you to figure out your tips/fit on your se530. Also, from what I recall, you stated that you only listened to them for about 2 minutes in another thread. The IE8 takes some time and IMO can sound so much better with some tweaking, as you claim for the se530s (and I believe). They just have 2 such different presentations from what i have read, I don't see why you use negative words to describe them instead of just stating that they have different sound signatures, and you prefer on. Why? (another question to answer)

Quote:

I'm glad I'm entertaining you and you find me comical...I like making people laugh..glad I'm making you laugh!
icon10.gif

Laughing is good. And it looks like you can laugh at yourself, which is also good IMO.
beerchug.gif

Quote:

I was told the ES3X's has the same high presentation as the SE530s but it was more detailed...I may be wrong but I want a custom earphone anyway so I'll have to get used to the new sound signature. I will never downgrade and buy another high end universal earphone so customs or full sized cans are the only way to go.

I agree, there isn't much room (if any) above what we both have in a universal. I am not pulling the trigger on full sized as I am not sure it will be an improvement.

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #37 of 47
oops, wrong thread- deleted.

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I truly love this thread... whenever there's less-than-positive impressions of the IE8's, nobody who likes them feels the need to get all defensive and bully the poster that has the critical view. It's a very mellow, easy going bunch here, with people that genuinely want to help someone figure out how to get the best out of these earphones.

It happens everywhere with every product. Look at the PFE and W3 threads. People tend to be defensive on products they invested in. Personally I am so used to this coming from a major video gaming forum, which is one reason I try to stay out of these sort of arguments.

edit: still valid, even if in wrong thread!

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It happens everywhere with every product. Look at the PFE and W3 threads. People tend to be defensive on products they invested in. Personally I am so used to this coming from a major video gaming forum, which is one reason I try to stay out of these sort of arguments.

[size=medium]Buyers Loyalty[/size]
If I see a product that is clearly better than the one I bought, I'm not gonna defend my "inferior" product.....I'm going to buy the more superior product...

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Ha ha, I suppose it is... For some reason I was thinking I was in the IE8 appreciation thread. You know you spend too much time on Head-fi when that happens! heh heh......

Quote:

[size=medium]Buyers Loyalty[/size]
If I see a product that is clearly better than the one I bought, I'm not gonna defend my "inferior" product.....I'm going to buy the more superior product...

Couldn't agree more. Audio enjoyment as the end goal is far too important to spend that time being defensive about something you have when the crux of the matter is that you really want the upgrade anyway....
icon10.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

To me, people aren't defensive because they invest in something, they are defensive when people criticize something they like without really giving solid reasons, saying "This or that sucks," etc, instead. No product will please everyone, and there are examples of PFE and W3 owners telling people to try something else if they don't like either of those phones. Honest. I just saw it today with Oarnura on the PFE thread (he suggested the IE8 to someone who doesn't much like the PFE sound), and I have done it as well.

I agree, arguing gets you nowhere. It's all subjective (but can be fun too). Just blasting a product isn't really helpful either, and that's why people get upset sometimes.

Mar 19, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

popcorn.gif

maverick777, let us know once you get them IE 8 in.

Heh, will do. Got an email from Headroom that it will be another week before they ship. Looks like they're a little backordered.

Although this thread has turned into another entertaining thread. I suppose it was bound to happen in any comparison thread.

I've come to the conclusion after years of reading this forum that there is no such thing as "perfect" headphones (full size or otherwise). Too much depends on what type of music you listen to and your preference of what that type of music "should" sound like.

For me, I'm a bass head that basically knows no limit as long as it's good bass. The IE8 sounds like a good fit for me. The big soundstage is also a plus.

I'll continue to read this read thread and update it as I get the IE8's in. Although it'll be awhile for final impressions since it seems to take 250 hours for proper burn-in.

PS: Also patiently (not really) waiting for Sony to release the NWZ-X1000. Can't wait to try an IE8/X1000 combo. Maybe bassheads will finally have a perfect match.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couldn't agree more. Audio enjoyment as the end goal is far too important to spend that time being defensive about something you have when the crux of the matter is that you really want the upgrade anyway....
icon10.gif

Isn't that the crux of almost every post on head fi?! We are always looking for an upgrade...with the exception of perhaps Voltag3!
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by communic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't that the crux of almost every post on head fi?! We are always looking for an upgrade...with the exception of perhaps Voltag3!
wink.gif

Hey if you read more and stop making false assumptions you would acknowledge fact that I am going to invest in custom earphones....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back