Decision time: IE8 vs W3 for Techno/Electronic music (Sony A829).................
Mar 17, 2009 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

maverick777

Head-Fier
I know there have been many comparison threads for these 2 awesome IEM's. I've read through a lot, but not all of the IE8 and W3 appreciation threads and might have missed a comparison like this.

But which one would be better for Techno/Electronic music?

Will either have enough bass if I leave my A829 bass at 0?

I currently have the bass setting at +2 or +3 for the SA6's which I still don't consider quite enough on most occasions. Especially for bass impact.

The SF5P has more bass quantity, but the sound signature is just not quite what I'm looking for.

Reading through all the threads, it looks like both the IE8 and W3 handle techno very well.

Which one would you choose? "Better" is subjective, so please indicate if you have listened to both and if the IE8's you listened to were burn in. Preferrably for more than 240 hours.

Thanks for all the help. Head-fi is the best. Although my wallet begs to differ.
biggrin.gif

PS: I have some comply T400 tips that I can use with the IE8's. Does that help with fit/isolation? I know the W3's are suppose to be much better in that department.

Mar 17, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 47
I have never heard the W3, but the IE 8 sounds amazing with electronic music. Very sufficient bass quantity at clear bass 0 on my S639 and the lowest knob setting on the IE 8.

Mar 17, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 47
Have not tried IE8 but will soon but the bass knob may be something to consider. Can change bass on the fly without having to touch the EQ.

Mar 17, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 47
I own both. For Techno/Electronic music I would most definitely recommend the IE8. I have it at the lowest knob setting and use the sony nwz-s639. The Westone 3's have great bass but it cannot compare with the impact the IE8's deliver. Much better soundstage as well. Bass is too boomy for me right out of the box. It becomes tighter and more detailed after a considerable amount of burn in.

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 47
After hearing the IE8's that were burned in for about 200 hours. My goodness the BASS is a bit bloated and overpowering compared the SE530's...The IE8's are really known for it's marvelous soundstage but the imaging is very poor and blurry. The IE8's still do a great job seeing that is only 1 dynamic driver in each earpiece.

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After hearing the IE8's that were burned in for about 200 hours. My goodness the BASS is a bit bloated and overpowering compared the SE530's...The IE8's are really known for it's marvelous soundstage but the imaging is very poor and blurry. The IE8's still do a great job seeing that is only 1 dynamic driver in each earpiece.

When you say "bloated", do you mean the IE8's bass is overpowering compared to the SE530's? Or do you mean both the quantity was excessive and the bass was inaccurate? I typically associate bloated bass as boomy and inaccurate. I have not heard IE8's described that way.

As for imaging, what type of songs are you referring to? Electronic/Techno is the most important genre for me. Are you saying compared to the SE530's the IE8's are not accurately portraying the sounds like in studio setting. Or do you mean that the IE8's are not accurately portraying the positioning and relative levels of "loudness" of all the instruments in a song.

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by maverick777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say "bloated", do you mean the IE8's bass is overpowering compared to the SE530's? Or do you mean both the quantity was excessive and the bass was inaccurate? I typically associate bloated bass as boomy and inaccurate. I have not heard IE8's described that way.

As for imaging, what type of songs are you referring to? Electronic/Techno is the most important genre for me. Are you saying compared to the SE530's the IE8's are not accurately portraying the sounds in a studio setting? Or do you mean that the IE8's are not accurately portraying the positioning and relative levelings of "loudness" of all the instruments in a song.

The IE8's has alot of space between each instrument but it is not accurate when trying to tell you which instrument is being played where. The IE8 has accurate BASS but the quantity is a bit too much for me and the impact is amazing though. The IE8's are great earphones though but I prefer the SE530s.

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Thanks for the quick responses. I pulled the trigger at Headroom. They have the IE8's for $319.99.
biggrin.gif

is that the cheapest you could find in the U.S.? i might get a pair too

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that the cheapest you could find in the U.S.? i might get a pair too

That's the cheapest I found from a US site. NCIX Canada has them for around $297 shipped but they are back ordered. There are a few EU sites that also sell for less.

I'd rather order from a US site so I went with Headroom. Plus the price is very reasonable compared to Amazon and the like. Most sites have them listed for $449.00.

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Were these only auditions? Also, 200 hours isn't enough, 250-350 is generally the point when these fully burn in.

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

The IE8's has alot of space between each instrument but it is not accurate when trying to tell you which instrument is being played where. The IE8 has accurate BASS but the quantity is a bit too much for me and the impact is amazing though. The IE8's are great earphones though but I prefer the SE530s.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure there's a such thing as too much bass for me so the IE8's sounds like a good fit.

I'll have to hear the instrument positioning for myself, but I dont think it will matter much for Techno/Eletronic stuff.

Mar 17, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 47
Quote:

Ok, thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure there's a such thing as too much bass for me so the IE8's sounds like a good fit.

I'll have to hear the instrument positioning for myself, but I dont think it will matter much for Techno/Eletronic stuff.

Well be careful of fit issues, because of it's rather big housing, it might not fit in your ear. I don't think instrument placements matter in techno/electronic much, but it's still nice to have
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well be careful of fit issues, because of it's rather big housing, it might not fit in your ear. I don't think instrument placements matter in techno/electronic much, but it's still nice to have
smily_headphones1.gif

Yea, placement would be nice to have, but since I can't have it all, I'd choose lots of (good) bass over placement.
ksc75smile.gif

I didn't have any trouble with flipped SF5P's which are pretty large, so I'm crossing my fingers that I won't have fit issues with the IE8's. I think my ears are large enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back