Decision on a set of full size headphones
Nov 22, 2012 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

drumsnspace

Head-Fier
I am currently deliberating on a set of full-size headphones. I currently on a pair of Etymotic Research ER-4P that don't really work for me. The in-ear design gives me ear-aches and one side never seals as good as the other. So that conundrum considered, I've decided to make the switch to full-size headphones. The pairs I am currently considering are the AKG K550, Sennheiser Momentums, and Sony MDR-1R. I listen to a pretty wide range of music, soft rock, hard distorted rock, jazz, classic rock, instrumental hip hop, post rock, reggae, experimental rock, ambient music, bluegrass, and so on. Plenty of varieties of rock music, with lots of hip-hop-oriented beats, etc. I need a pair of 'phones that will be fairly competent in all these genres. Looking to spend $400 or less on the headphones and amp (if necessary). Comfort is a big aspect in my decision, and I've heard good things about the Sony and Sennheiser psirs, but nothing much on the AKG's. I was looking at the AKG K701 a while ago, but I would like to stray away from anything that absolutely requires amplification. So all things considered, could you guys give advice me on the pairs I have listed, and maybe list some others if I missed anything good in my price range? Thanks for the help
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 3
Do you like the sound of the ER-4P, or are you looking for something different?

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 3
it's been so long since i've used the ER's i can't remember much on their sound. i remember enjoying them though. mainly looking for someone to advice me on the sets i have listed. i'm primarily interested in the K550, as i've got a pretty big head and i don't think i'll have much issue getting a seal with them. comfort is a huge factor in my decision along with pretty accurate sound reproduction without having to use an amp or dac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back