deciding between two cables for HD600...
Jun 16, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #16 of 22
any more comments?

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #17 of 22
hi all - sorry to bump but...

is there a difference between the smurf blue cardas and the gray ones other than the color?

thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #18 of 22
On my HD-600,

I only have the older blue Cardas cable (balanced with an adapter to 1/4) and the other cables I've compared it to (and own) are the stock HD-650 cable and Zu-Mobius MK1.

I have to say that of the 3 cables I'd go with 1-Zu Mobius, 2-Cardas balanced, 3-HD-650. I like the warmer sound that the mobius brings to the HD-600 - deaper and more bass compared to the cardas which are both more controlled than the stock cable. The stock HD-650 is OK in the mids but doesn't give clarity in the higher frequencies and is muddy sloppy in the lower frequencies.

For those that can't hear a difference in cables - save yourself some money - for me the difference between these cables are significant. Even swapping between the Cardas and Mobius revealed a different level of clarity and characteristic to the headphones.

BTW to answer your question - I have heard the blue and grey Cardas. Not much of a difference to me.

Again standard disclaimer - YMMV
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by morfic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just buy the HD650 cable and save the rest towards a decent headphone amp.

x2

Although when i tried the cardas cable(the grey,not the blue one),the highs were a bit more refined/less grain/better air,the bass was tighter and the mids had a more warmth and smooth feeling,although the difference was not that much compared to the hd650 cable to justify 110+ euros.
Another problem with the cardas cable is that it suffers from microphonics,and the plugs that go to the earcaps are not so secure as the hd 650 cable(they are the same as the hd 600 cable)
The hd 650 cable is not better sonically(for me)but not worse either,just different,compared to the hd 600 cable.It has a bit thickier sound and a bit less airy highs but they are quite similar.But you don't need to use an adaptor,and the connections to the earcaps are better/they fit more tight so i kept the 650 cable.

Jul 15, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all right - i think i am going to buy QQQ's cable for the following reasons:

1) price
2) i dislike the current cable more because of its a bit unkempt, i'd prefer a true 1/4" termination versus an attachment, and for aesthetic reasons
3) a few people hear no differences, a few hear a big difference...this upgrade should be right in the middle doing something noticeable at least
4) canare seems compatible enough with the rest of my equipment and most likely a step up from the current cable
5) i want to support a fellow head-fi-er

however before i decide for sure, does anyone have more info on Rick Warren and Fidelity Audio? i've only seen a few reviews...

I would love to give you a review of the Fidelity Audio cable that I ordered from Rick on July 5th. Unfortunately it is the 15th and still no cable? No email, no tracking number, I hope that he is O.K. I can always buy another cable. $129.00 for an upgraded cable is not the most expensive, but if the money is just thrown away then I guess something a little more money from a reliable source seems like a good deal.

Jul 19, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For what it's worth, I have the Cardas and Blue Dragon cables for my HD-600 and HD-650. I've mixed up both pairs with those and the stock cables.

Damned if I could hear a difference. I do like the construction and build quality of the aftermarket cables, but they didn't change the sound.

If you're looking for an upgrade, I'd put that $200 or so towards a better amp, pick up a used turntable, or something else that would provide actual results.

Agreed.

I have the Cardas, the 650 and the 600 cables.
Yeah, there's a difference....but knowing what I do now, would I pay $200 for it?

Not until I already had the best equipment I could get.
Only then would I invest in something like more expensive cables.

No offense to the folks who make premium cables -- simply a question of priorities.

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #22 of 22
I have used the SAA Equinox with my HD600 and there is a definite difference. I have not heard other after market cables but I can fully recommend trying out the Equinox cable. Also the stock HD600 cable is better sounding than the HD650 cable which I find to sound thin and lacking in dynamics. The HD600 cable is dark rich and warm. Having different cables is useful in the same way that having multiple headphones is.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back