Deciding between the Denon D1001 and Grado SR60
Sep 14, 2008 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

hear_the_sound

Head-Fier
Would appreciate any suggestions especially from someone who has tried both.
I will be using the headphone primarily for at home listening to my 5g ipod.

my only concerns are sound quality and comfort

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 12
If I were you, I'd pick the D1001s. They are great headphones for the money, are extremely comfortable and sound nice. I never found the grados comfortable.

Sep 14, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by hear_the_sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would appreciate any suggestions especially from someone who has tried both.
I will be using the headphone primarily for at home listening to my 5g ipod.

my only concerns are sound quality and comfort

After comparing reviews, I ordered the Denons for my 5.5 iPod. Too many caveats about comfort and Grado.

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 12
I had some Grado 60s; they decomposed almost upon first contact and the sound was disappointing to say the least. My Philips SHP8900s that cost me $49AUD completely outclassed the Grados in every way but I'm a jazz listener so thumping bass, muddy mids and brittle highs aren't my thing. I've ordered the Denons for myself but cannot compare as yet; all I can say regarding the Grados is caveat emptor; they're just not that good and they will break. I had to get mine from overseas and the $$$ was way more than they're worth. I'd never buy Grado again. Howz that for a scathing indictment?

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 12
^^Wow...it sounds like she really dislikes the Grados.^^

What types of music will you be listening to?

The SR-60s come with comfies and not bowl pads. Not too many complaints about the SR-60s regarding comfort, but the bowl pads receive mixed reviews.

Sep 15, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^Wow...it sounds like she really dislikes the Grados.^^

What types of music will you be listening to?

The SR-60s come with comfies and not bowl pads. Not too many complaints about the SR-60s regarding comfort, but the bowl pads receive mixed reviews.

I listen to pretty much all types of music. rock, pop, funk, soul, instrumental, electronica, dance, heck even country sometimes. some hip hop, but no gangsta rap. by rock i mean alternative/indie such as radiohead, not louder industrial/metal such as metallica. i really want clear guitars though. most headphones i've listened to the guitars sound muddy/distorted. but in general i guess i'm looking for the best overall sound, not something geared towards one genre.

this is what i've gathered:
comfort: d1001 miles ahead
sound: ???

i've heard a lot of comfort issues regarding the sr60. does anyone find them comfortable?

another thing i forgot to mention: i usually listen to music at relatively low volumes...
so which headphone produces better sound at lower volumes?

thank you again for all the help
icon10.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 12
I currently own both. I also appreciate clear guitars. Comfort is an issue. I'm going to be selling my 1001s (pm if you're interested). After bending the headband of the SR60s they are very comfortable. I sweat in the 1001s and I don't appreciate feeling closed off without the benefit of cutting outside sounds.

As for sound quality, I prefer the Grados. I don't know about low volume because I don't know how my typical listening level fits with your definition of "low." I suspect that my listening level would qualify more towards the mid level, and I'm pretty sure it would not be considered loud. My feeling is that the Grados "open up" earlier on the volume scale than the Denons. I don't know how to be objective about that.

Both phones are easy to resell, so you won't be out much either way.

Mooch

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 12
I have to disagree with your observations, ddoingwell. Of all the headphones I've listened to, Grados are the LEAST bassy headphones I've used and found them quite good for jazz.

That said, if you listen to hip-hop, dance, electronica, top40... Go for the Denon.

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own both. I also appreciate clear guitars. Comfort is an issue. I'm going to be selling my 1001s (pm if you're interested). After bending the headband of the SR60s they are very comfortable. I sweat in the 1001s and I don't appreciate feeling closed off without the benefit of cutting outside sounds.

As for sound quality, I prefer the Grados. I don't know about low volume because I don't know how my typical listening level fits with your definition of "low." I suspect that my listening level would qualify more towards the mid level, and I'm pretty sure it would not be considered loud. My feeling is that the Grados "open up" earlier on the volume scale than the Denons. I don't know how to be objective about that.

Both phones are easy to resell, so you won't be out much either way.

Mooch

Thanks for your helpful response.
How much do the Denons cause sweat compared to a pair of closed Sennheisers? I read that the Denons do not cause sweating but if they do then they are not because i can't stand my ears sweating.

So i'm guessing that the SR60 produces clear guitar sounds? Or will I need to go higher on the headphone spectrum..... $$$$$$

Also by low I mean between 30%-40% of the max volume on the ipod.

Seems it's a 50/50 so far....is there a store in LA where I could try both headphones?

Anyway, more responses welcome!

I do feel kinda sorry for my wallet but heck, better than feeling sorry for my ears

Sep 15, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 12
Hi,
I started out with the s60, and was pretty happy with the can. Unfortunately, the s60 is a lot like small speaker where people around you can pleasantly or unpleasantly share your music so i gave the s60 to my friend and get me the d1000.
I actually do like both cans. The area which d1000 is better is the bass where it reaches deeper. The d1000 also has a better image width while the s60 gives you a more intimated presentation. IMO, i dont think you can go wrong with either can. However, most people seem to like the denon1000 better for the comfort. Personally, i didnt have much problem with the grado at all. on the other hand, the d1000 does squeeze my ears from time to times.
Cheers,
AP

Sep 15, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Seems it's a 50/50 so far....is there a store in LA where I could try both headphones?

DXC Store has a wall of headphones to try out. They are in Culver City. DXC STORE

That would be the best way....try before you buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back