Deciding between new phones or an amp
Sep 29, 2008 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Charles_1985

Head-Fier
Hi guys - I currently own a pair of Alessandro MS-1s and the AT ATH-AD700s. I have been using both for over one year.

I'm at the point now where I want to step up my audio experience to the next level. I would appreciate some guidance here on how best to spend my money.
->Should I purchase another pair of headphones, or invest in an amp? I have approx. $200 to spend, though I will consider spending more (I have never stuck to a budget on this site, curse you guys
very_evil_smiley.gif
).
Eventually I will get both, but this is the probably the only upgrade I'll be doing until sometime next year so it has to count. I don't consider myself an audiophile so I am unsure how much I would benefit from an amp with my current cans; I read on these boards an amp doesn't do too much for them.

Details about my setup - running out of my desktop's Razer AC-1 sound card (has the C-Media Oxygen HD CMI8788 chipset, and optical in/out). The setup is stationary only. I like to listen to techno (Bt especially), general rock, and pop. I love the AD700s soundstage and mid-range, bass is not terribly important but I prefer more than the AD700s offer. I prefer full-sized cans, open or closed (never had closed though I have used them). I have no experience with amps.

Sep 29, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 21
I was going to definitely call for an amp, until I saw your source. It would probably be best for you to upgrade to a (way) better source, like a decent USB DAC (KECES-151, for example), and then a nice bang-for-the-buck amp (LD I+).

Sep 30, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 21
Thanks for the reply. I'll take your advice and go with a DAC. The KECES 151 is going for $295 shipped on eBay, which is the only place I have found it for sale thus far. I'm going to research some alternatives as well. If anyone else has more suggestions/recommendations, please post.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

The KECES 151 is going for $295 shipped on eBay, which is the only place I have found it for sale thus far.

It's pretty much a fancy alien dac, so you might want to consider that instead.
Another good (cheap) choice would be the asus xonar.

Sep 30, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 21
I'll check out the Alien DAC.

The one thing my sound card does have is optical out; would there be any benefit to using that over USB? I did some hunting and found the Zero 24/192 DAC getting good comments, apparently a great value; it's about $128 on eBay + shipping from China, still less than $200.

Sep 30, 2008 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles_1985 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll check out the Alien DAC.

The one thing my sound card does have is optical out; would there be any benefit to using that over USB? I did some hunting and found the Zero 24/192 DAC getting good comments, apparently a great value; it's about $128 on eBay + shipping from China, still less than $200.

Biggest difference is that optical doesn't require any processor, but most machines these days won't notice the extra load from a usb dac.

I'd suggest an outboard dac (like the zero, or my favourite the emu 0404usb) with a headphone amp - the onboard amps on units like this are (arguably) midfi, but will undoubtedly be an upgrade, so you can upgrade your source and get an amp in the bargain.

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 21
OK, thanks for the info regarding optical and USB interfaces. I actually prefer the USB since that means I can use it with my laptop as well.

I'm shying away from the Zero since it's a Dac + preamp + amp in one, while the E-mu 0404USB is a DAC only. Looking long-term, it would probably be best to have them all be separate components (amp + DAC) so if I do decide to upgrade one or the other, I don't have to do them at the same time.

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 21
If you contact a member here under the alias Maniac, then he'll give you a slight discount on the KECES-151, because he's able to bypass eBay fees.

Oct 1, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 21
I've done a bit more research on DACs . . . if I get a USB-only DAC, then that means I will have to switch between my sound card and USB audio often since I'm a PC gamer. However, if I get a DAC with optical input then I won't have to. In that respect, the E-mu 0404USB seems to be the better choice. Any comments? I am still open to suggestions on the KECES-151 vs. the E-mu 0404USB.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel
Sell the MS-1, sell the AD700, buy AlienDAC + CKK-III + AD900. All within budget

Will check that out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #11 of 21
I'd get a combined DAC/amp. I have the EMU 0202 and it's pretty nice, I hear the EMU 0404 is even better. If you're going to use it portably as well, consider getting something like the iBasso D2 Boa.

Oct 1, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #12 of 21
For the DAC, portability isn't a necessity. I was planning on getting the DAC, then a portable amp I could take with me. I have the same Pocketdock line out that you do for the iPod, which I am only using in my car ATM but once I get a portable amp I will use it with the DAC and on-the-go.

Oct 1, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles_1985 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done a bit more research on DACs . . . if I get a USB-only DAC, then that means I will have to switch between my sound card and USB audio often since I'm a PC gamer. However, if I get a DAC with optical input then I won't have to. In that respect, the E-mu 0404USB seems to be the better choice. Any comments? I am still open to suggestions on the KECES-151 vs. the E-mu 0404USB.

Will check that out.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think back at home what I did (since I too game pretty much every day) was set the Audigy 2 ZS as the default source, but with foobar2000, made the DAC the primary sound output.

Yeah, that's what i did, and it worked out beautifully.

Oct 1, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #14 of 21
You ask about amps so I'll answer that way. Since you have low impedance phones why not get the LD 1+ which is a high current amp good for low impedance phones? At $109 you can't go wrong because it's an excellent foundation on which to build a modest but excellent sounding system. I have your phones and the LD 1+ amp and I can assure you it's a winning combination.

Oct 1, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think back at home what I did (since I too game pretty much every day) was set the Audigy 2 ZS as the default source, but with foobar2000, made the DAC the primary sound output.

Yeah, that's what i did, and it worked out beautifully.

That's a great solution. I think you might have sold me on the KECES-151.
bigsmile_face.gif
I'll get it through Maniac.
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You ask about amps so I'll answer that way. Since you have low impedance phones why not get the LD 1+ which is a high current amp good for low impedance phones? At $109 you can't go wrong because it's an excellent foundation on which to build a modest but excellent sounding system. I have your phones and the LD 1+ amp and I can assure you it's a winning combination.

It's a definite that I will get an amp. Based on what TheMarchingMule recommended, I'm going to go with a DAC first and then pick up an amp later on. The LD I+ gets top-notch feedback around here so that may just be what I go with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back