Deciding between Massdrop AKG k7xx vs Sennheiser pc38x
Oct 27, 2020 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

estrada505

New Head-Fier
Hello! The final piece to my gaming set up would be a good set of headphones and I need your help! I made the grate mistake of thinking that because it’s 2020 technology should allow me to buy an amazing sounding headset for 100 dollars so I pulled the trigger and bought some Corsair VOID RGB Elites. I felt disgusted by how they sounded and they disrespected my ears.

After a few weeks of research, I came to the conclusion that I was not going to find a good gaming headset with quality audio. I decided to look into headphones instead of a headset. After extensive research I decided to soon buy the Massdrop AKG K7xx. I know that I will need an AMP and a DAC but that’s not a problem. I listened to reviews and fourms and with what I gathered they are great and have some good bass for open back headphones which is a bonus. They are my first choice.

I realized that the Massdrop AKG K7xx is a bit on the older side which is one of my concerns about them. There has been recent hype among YouTube reviewers about the newly released Sennheiser Pc38x. They claim that it is an amazing headset with great sound and customer reviews back their claims. Allegedly they have richer bass than its predecessor and they have amazing sound stage. Which brings me to my conflict.

I am worried that the drivers on the AKGs might be outdated, i realize that they are still great headphones but would I be getting a better value by going with the PC38Xs? They are newer with updated drivers and have great reviews but are they still just a gaming headset and all hype? Would I be more immersed with the AKGs paired with a SoundblasterX G6 and get better sound quality over all or are the PC38Xs just as good or better and have the benefit of plug and play? (The mic is not an issue I don’t have many friends and barely use it anyway)

Games I play

-Call of Duty: Warzone
-Bioshock (Series)
-Starwars: Jedi Fallen Order
-Halo (Master Chief Collection)

Oct 27, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 6
In all seriousness you don't know enough to make a informed decision and asking for people to choose for you is one of the biggest mistakes you'll make. You need to learn a few things or you will never know what you're getting. the k700 series has many problems. i dont know much about the PC38Xs but i do know sennheiser hands out all their new headphones to shills on youtube who will tell people to buy them. driver design on most headphones is not outdated as these big companies are still churning out modified versions to this day of their old favorites for example the k7xx you want to buy or the 6xx etc. sadly, i wont be offering you advice besides you need to learn methods of finding good gear and stop asking for people to tell you what to get. good luck youll need it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 6
I bought the AKG K7XX several years ago, decent headphones, but just did not have the sound I like.

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 6
In all seriousness you don't know enough to make a informed decision and asking for people to choose for you is one of the biggest mistakes you'll make. You need to learn a few things or you will never know what you're getting. the k700 series has many problems. i dont know much about the PC38Xs but i do know sennheiser hands out all their new headphones to shills on youtube who will tell people to buy them. driver design on most headphones is not outdated as these big companies are still churning out modified versions to this day of their old favorites for example the k7xx you want to buy or the 6xx etc. sadly, i wont be offering you advice besides you need to learn methods of finding good gear and stop asking for people to tell you what to get. good luck youll need it.

Hello grwgergergg I appreciate you wasting your time with this very unhelpful response. I don't see anywhere in my post where I asked people to decide a on what headset to purchase. I was simply asking opinions about the two units, that have my most attention, to those who have experience with them. I don't think you caught the part where I said that I did extensive research, I looked at various headphones along that 200 dollar price range and the AKG k7xx stood out as well as the PC38x because of the praise they received not only by sell out YouTube reviewers but by people on forums and verified purchasers. I did a bit of homework on everything technical, looked at graphs and compared them to headphones that I've used and enjoyed before but sadly not owned, those two were the most similar to what I personally enjoyed.

And In regards to the outdated drivers concern I had, I agree that these companies do put out BETTER versions of previous drivers used, there is no denying that technology from today is better than technology from 3 years ago which is around the time when the K7xx was released, that is why I was asking weather or not I would be getting better value from the PC38x that are newer and quite actually have updated drivers found on the GSP 500s.

I don't know if you think of yourself as a guru that has secrets and special methods on finding good gear, I would like to be the young grasshopper that learns these methods form the wise grwgergergg. I wish I had the money to order both headphones for the ideal comparison but I don't so I'm going off of graphs and peoples experiences that match my taste. I also made an account on this website for a more personal opinion about the two units, so if I am missing a better method to make an informed decision please let me know. I cant imagine to be in your position where you took your time to respond with out any actual helpful advice other than to learn better methods and to claim that I don't know enough or that I am asking for people what I should get, Nevertheless, thank you for responding to my post it was entertaining.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 6
I bought the AKG K7XX several years ago, decent headphones, but just did not have the sound I like.

Cool! How did you find the bass on them? In music I like my bass to be really present when necessary, but I want these for gaming so bass isn't my number one concern. Although, I would still like for the bass to still be noticeable in those explosive situations in games.

Oct 27, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #6 of 6
Cool! How did you find the bass on them? In music I like my bass to be really present when necessary, but I want these for gaming so bass isn't my number one concern. Although, I would still like for the bass to still be noticeable in those explosive situations in games.
Have not used my K7XX is years, so can't really remember what they sounded like.
Check out the Takstar HF 580 headphones.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/takstar-hf-580-planar-headphones.904483/
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32997885429.html
And the SendyAudio AVIA ear pads
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000714597987.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.310f4c4dbMM5Ru
It's my current headphones, never played any FPS gaming with it, but it's great for movies and music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back