Deciding between a Vsonic GR07 -- Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 26, 2012 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

robboman

New Head-Fier
Hello y'all,

I joined this forum because i would like to hear some advice from u guys :)

Atm I'm using a Sansa clip + with Rockbox + sennheiser cx 400-ii. The clip + is like the best thing in my life lol I use it so much :)

I've owned the sennheiser for about 1,5 year and it's was a decent iem but the left ear does not work anymore.

I'm trying to decide between a VSONIC GR07 and a Yamaha EPH-100. They both seem to be great iems and get a lot of praise on this forum.

I'm looking for a iem with high sound quality (duh lol), nice amount of bass, and just overall a nice sound. I'm no expert in these things, so I'm kinda relying on u guys expertise haha :)

I mostly lisen to urban pop, pop, and stuff like Coldplay, Adele, and plenty of Britney Spears (her blackout album is sick :)

Some advantages of both iems are:

Vsonic GR07:

- Great sound quality

- Decent build-quality

Yamaha:

- Nice aluminum build

- Can buy it in my country, 2 year warranty

Which iem would be the best for me? They both seem great!

Any suggestions?

Thanks :) And sorry for my bad english, it's not my native language, I'm from Holland.

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 8
Never tested GR07 personally but I listened to some tracks with the EPH100. I would say the EPH100 will be decent for your music. But I think the GR07 could fit better than the EPH100.

In case you want to see another pic of the EPH100, here is one I took.

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Never tested GR07 personally but I listened to some tracks with the EPH100. I would say the EPH100 will be decent for your music. But I think the GR07 could fit better than the EPH100.

Damn, those look sexy! How do they compare with the GR07s?

I own the GR07s,they are a good buy, good sound quality,separation and imaging..smooth sounding with sexy cables,but one thing.. the only thing which I don't like about them is the sibilance. It's not much but it's noticeable

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:

Thanks for comments. The yahama does look really sweet!
I'm kinda leaning to the Vsonic myself atm, after reading a bit more about the Vsonic it seems like it will work nicely for the music I listen to.

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
I'd go for GR07.

This is amazing feebdback, very documented.
biggrin.gif

More seriously, I don't own both contenders (only the Yamahas), but from both huge appreciation topics, it gives me the impression that GR07 are more on the calm side, with no particular flaw or special attributes, while the Yamahas are certainly not that calm. EPH-100 separate instrument A LOT (UM3X-like, so expect extreme separation), and tend to put mids in front (male voices, drums, guitar), while keeping strong bass (but no bleed in the midrange). Treble with the Yamahas are ok, but not exceptional (decay is a bit too fast in my opinion, so things like cymbals sound very snappy, some would say unnaturally short).

Comfort-wise, EPH-100 are extremely versatile since they can enter ear canals with many different angles and come with 5 tip sizes (SS, S, M, L, LL). And they isolate damn well (easily on par with Westone/Shure IEMs with the double flange tips).
GR07 are more bulky (similar to IE8) so you have to find the right tips. Isolation is very dependant on the tips but won't reach EPH-100 level.

Overall the Yamahas are certainly more on the fun side (if you like to hear forward vocals and guitar, go ahead, fun guaranteed). For pop, it is certainly a great choice, WOW factor for sure!
GR07 sound more natural (again from reading, I don't have them). Probably more polyvalent than EPH-100, but if you mainly listen pop, this won't make such a difference.

Take your pick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back