Decided to get USB DAC for $300-$400, recommendations?
Aug 7, 2007 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Jono3642

Head-Fier
So I have decided i will leave the Elite Pro for gaming and use a USB DAC + my Corda HA-1 MK1 with HD650(Unless there is DAC-AMP combo for same price that sounds better than Corda amp) for music. I am guessing a USB DAC for that price would be better than any internal cards at a similar price, if not, tell me which sound-card would be better. I would like warm and musical over cold and analytical.

Thanks!

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 13
I'm in the same boat as you. I ordered a Monica 2 kit (its finished and tested, just needs a case to live in). I like my music the same way, and from what I've heard of the reviews, it seems to be everything I want. Do a search for some reviews and check out diyparadise. I should get mine in a week, I could let you know what I think.

Aug 8, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 13
Hmm, can't you toggle the digital out of the X-Fi depending on the situation? It'll offer some more flexibility and not require a USB only solution. That's what I intend to do.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 13
Use the Elite Pro's digital outputs. Also, the Elite Pro has a nice DAC built into the breakout box, so a $300-$400 DAC may not be a massive upgrade. Something like a Stello DA100 or DAC62 would be a more worth wild upgrade.

Aug 8, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 13
The problem with the elite pro is that while it is fine for low volume listening, (tons of detail, good soundstage/imaging) when I turn the volume the clarity becomes sharp and the sound harsh, it just sounds too digital, so I am looking for a warmer dac as I want something i can relax with and not worry its going to smash my ears at the next drum thwak.

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 13
Changing the op-amp on Elite Pro might be slightly above my ability, it would surely change the sonic character of it and might remove the need for a dac, or it might break the elite pro. As I don't know how to solder or own a soldering iron I would rather pay for a new dac.

Also, it should be noted that audio quality is not op-amp + dac= sound quality, not that those aren't hugely important components, but when comparing old cd players, like Linn Karik/Numerik, or Naim from the mid 90's, and you will find it beats most sub $500 dacs in sound quality, now the op amps and dacs in many of these diy or small company jobs are in theory much better than those available in old hi-fi products, but since even the most expensive dac chips are only a few dollars wholesale, if audio was that simple there would be no such thing as high end audio, unless people just liked shiny shiny diamond crusted cases.

There are a ton of other variables which affect sound quality, any one of which can make the best dac or op amp sound like confused crap, the electrical noise in a computer, as well as the power supply issues etc. imply that a computer case is one of the worst areas to house your sound.
If we assume the best sound card will be the Auzentech Prelude, well that will be about $200, with good dac + op amps + all the million other things in an XFI in it, now if some guy can't stick together a much better musical dac for similar money then there must be something wrong. He doesn't have to add all the other components of a soundcard and can provide a better power source and no noise, it makes no sense if there is not a $400 dac to trounce any commerical soundcard today.

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #12 of 13
Yeah, the last part was meant to prompt someone to tell me whether or not they had compared a good soundcard against one of these cheaper dacs and could give me a comparison. Hoping the answer would be alot better

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 13
hmm :\ ive been in a bit of a similar situation to you guys, tried to find a good quality USB dac to use w/ my rig etc and looked high and low wihtout finding anything with a great amount of appeal. one route you might want to consider taking is purchasing a cheaper but dedicated sound card like the chaintech av710 (for ~$30) which would give you the ability to run spdif out. that way you could have your x-fi's dedicated to gaming etc, and a separate sound card for music etc. this should also open up a large number of DAC choices that wouldve otherwise been un-usable if you were limited to DACs with USB input only! aka. get an av710 and a zhaolu 2.0 or 2.5 or something of the likes...you WONT regret it honestly especially if you use comp as your main source

Users who are viewing this thread

Back