Decided to delve into Vinyl. Pick me an entry level turntable (+ a few questions)
Jul 22, 2011 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DaggothReborn

Head-Fier
I've been reading the advantages of vinyl vs SACD/DVD-A and I've decided Vinyl is my next step. Since its Vinyl, i wont be using a DAC. But, can I use my Amp with any turntable with RCA outs, or do i have to have a special one?

With that being said, i would like to keep the price under or around $200 bucks. I dont really want to invest too much into something that i'm not sure i'll fall in love with. 

So give me some suggestions on turntables that i can use my amp with for about $200 or less.

Jul 23, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 8
I'm not a turntable owner myself, however I've been doing a bit of research into them for the last month or so as I too am considering getting into vinyl.

Does your amp have phono inputs on the back? If not you'll need to buy a phono stage. Turntables put out very little voltage by themselves so the signal needs to be brought up to line level. Also phono stages provide the RIAA equalisation. Plenty of information on these topics can be found on the web.

I agree that it's risky laying down money for a format you're not familiar with, and therefore not sure you'll like. However, based on my reading, I'm not sure you'll get anything worthwhile for that kind of money, unless you go vintage (which has risks given the mechanical nature of turntables).

One of the most popular budget, but well respected, turntables seems to be the Rega RP1 - which go about $450. Perhaps you should try auditioning one to help make up your mind whether you want to invest in the format and get the most out of it.

Jul 23, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #3 of 8
Great information from jr41.

For TT, in that price range you can get more in the used market.  Take a look at Thorens, I purchased a used TD-160 and picked up a new cart for a little above $200.

If your amp doesn't have a phono input then you will be spending more money.   You can always get a used receiver, under $200, that has a phono input.  Look at H/K x30 series, Marantz 22xx series, Yamaha CR-x0x0 series and also look at Sansui.

You can also look at AudioKarma,  great people and a lot of information.

James

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #5 of 8
Go for a used Rega Planar 2 or 3 with an Elys cartridge. Awesome. In turnables few things can go wrong, and everything can be fixed by yourself. So used TTs are very good value (unlike separates CD players, for example)

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 8
Try and stretch to the Planar 3. It's a decent step up from the 2, and so discourages upgraditis.

We used to sell lots of Regas, and most of what we sold were Planar 3s. I made the 'mistake' of buying a Planar 2 and jumped over the 3 to a Linn LP12 (not that I regret it even slightly!).

As far as I remember they rarely went wrong, but they are easy to fix if they do. The design is simple and effective, and they're still available 20+ years on, so you can't go far wrong even if you buy a used one.

True classics that have stood the test of time.

Quote:
Go for a used Rega Planar 2 or 3 with an Elys cartridge. Awesome. In turnables few things can go wrong, and everything can be fixed by yourself. So used TTs are very good value (unlike separates CD players, for example)

Jul 25, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 8
Yeah, I'm talking to a guy about a Rega Planar 2. Has it for 325. Says it has a RB250 Arm. Not sure what that means :xf_eek:

But yeah ill most likely get one of them, along with a VP130 Tube preamp to pair with my Valhalla

Jul 25, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 8
The RB250 was a straight, black coloured tone-arm that replaced the original silver coloured s-shaped tone-arm. It was around when I last sold these, c. 1985? The RB250 looks similar in style to what is fitted to the current models.

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/tonearm.htm

Of the current models, the RP-1 looks most similar to the old Planar 2/3.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm talking to a guy about a Rega Planar 2. Has it for 325. Says it has a RB250 Arm. Not sure what that means :xf_eek:

But yeah ill most likely get one of them, along with a VP130 Tube preamp to pair with my Valhalla

Users who are viewing this thread

Back