Decibullz microwavable custom fit IED headphones at CES
Feb 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:
There was a review posted on Gizmodo about them today. Not particularly great but like with anything on Gizmodo, take it with a grain of salt.
They also do sell their molds as an accessory. Anyone want to buy some and fit them on to some other existing IEMs and see how it affects the sound?

Yeah.... that damn Gizmodo post... Our earphones were never designed to be an audiophile caliber earphone. We did choose a very nice driver and quality components. But this model was designed for workouts so fit and comfort was the main focus. Gizmodo did love how well they stayed in and how comfortable they were. The sound quality of Decibullz greatly depends on how well you mold them though.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:
I ended up remolding them this weekend. I used a wet towel in the microwave and was able to remove the molds without any damage.
I tried to keep the material more on the tip to improve isolation.
Unfortunately, these molds just don't seal well enough with the TF10. The isolation isn't very good and the bass is very soft. Pushing in on the headphones restores the bass, but I think the weight of the TF10, even with wires over the ear, makes a good seal impossible.
I'm going back to the SuperTips for now and am considering the ACS custom sleeves.
Decibullz will probably work best for lighter weight earbuds and those whose bass isn't totally dependent on a good seal.t

It might have something to do with the ergonomic fit with the angled tips. We have found this to be tricky to get to work with the current Decibullz molds.  

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #18 of 34
Thanks for taking the plunge for us posnera. When you were remolding did you put a spacer in your mouth? It's supposed to open up your ear canal a little bit and give you a better fit afterwards. I will likely try the same thing with my IEMs when I get back stateside.

Feb 7, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #19 of 34
Quote:
Yeah.... that damn Gizmodo post... Our earphones were never designed to be an audiophile caliber earphone. We did choose a very nice driver and quality components. But this model was designed for workouts so fit and comfort was the main focus. Gizmodo did love how well they stayed in and how comfortable they were. The sound quality of Decibullz greatly depends on how well you mold them though.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over what Gizmodo says about your product. The quality of their content has really taken a turn for the worst during the past 2-3 years or so. It is good to hear that you are going to target other IEMs for your product. I think your product does have a lot of potential though. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #21 of 34
  Right now we are developing molds for the mass market earbuds (I know...) like Apple, Skullcandy, Beats etc... They should be available in the next couple of months. I would like some suggestions on what earphones we should be developing molds for. 

I think that a mold for the Shure SE XXX Series would be nice, transforming them from universals to custom would be great!

Feb 24, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #24 of 34
I have ordered some of these to try with my RE400's, will see how they go :)
Worst case, if they sound bad (not that I think they will) and the isolation isnt flash, I will shoehorn my stock samsung pair into them for work calls so I dont have to jam the silicone tips in and out of  my ears all day.

Mar 18, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #27 of 34
So I made some molds today.

Firstly I must say the process of getting these to shape is quite simple.

Nuke them for 2 minutes, stand for 2 minutes in the water you nuked them in then let them dry on paper town/cool for 30 seconds and pop your in ears into them and start molding them into your ears.

The process for me had mixed results and I will need to try again tomorrow when I have a spare 10 minutes.
I had an excellent seal when I first molded them and I noticed no real change in sound between these and my comply foamies on my RE400s.

I waited the suggested 5 minutes for the molds to set and removed them.  As described these were now set solid.

However upon attempted to reinsert them I could not get a good seal.  Tomorrow I will attempt to push the mould deeper into the ear canal and hopefully this will get them to hold a little firmer in the ear as apposed to sitting just off the ear which they seem to be doing.

That being said, I wouldnt say they sound 'bad'  just not as good as the Comply tips.

Comfort however I find to be fantastic, so I really hope I can get these to work for me as I will then use these earphones for knocking around/working out my UM Merlins for commuting etc.

I will keep you posted.

Scott

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #28 of 34
I think with the mold only sealing the outer ear t's pretty much impossible to produce good bass response.
The reason iems are able to produce the rumbling bass is dependent on complete seal of the cannal in the first place.

Mar 18, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #29 of 34
My impatience got the better of me and I just tried to re-mould.
I think I achieved a better seal, but still nothing like is possible with the Comply tips.

I think for now I will return to the foam tips, I will however pop these onto my standard samsung earbuds for work calls as they will be much more comfortable and the seal isnt important when it is purely for phone calls.

Scott 

Mar 18, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #30 of 34
  My impatience got the better of me and I just tried to re-mould.
I think I achieved a better seal, but still nothing like is possible with the Comply tips.

I think for now I will return to the foam tips, I will however pop these onto my standard samsung earbuds for work calls as they will be much more comfortable and the seal isnt important when it is purely for phone calls.

Scott 

Are you using a silicone/foam tip in conjunction to this?  If you look at their earbud, it seems like that's the design XD 

Actually, nevermind, I think I might be off on this...  But the pictures of their IEMs show something that looks like a tip with the custom mold behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back