Decibels, distortion, amplifiers and golden ears
Aug 11, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #766 of 790
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He did no such thing. He clearly was not taking issue with the issue of radiation being spherical versus hemispherical. He was making the point that whether sound can be observed to radiate spherically (or hemispherically, as the case may be) depends on whether you are observing the sound near its source or at a distance.

A point of which I was already aware.

From the point of view of the audience at a concert, is the sound being radiated spherically or hemispherically?

Quote:

As often as you change the subject, it is sometimes difficult to figure out what you do know or what your point is.

This whole subthread has been in relation to my attempting to answer someone's honest question as to why sound is blurred or veiled during the reproduction of deep bass notes and drum hits.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #767 of 790
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVinylRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does that have to do with whether or not a mono speaker is mono?

we were talking about this:
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVinylRipper
Each individual instrument is indeed a mono source.

exactly, finally.

every sound is produced in a 3 dimensionl space. An instrument doesn't produce sound in a flat space, hence therefor is not a mono source. A piano for instance can produce multiple notes at the same time.

if you mean one origin of sound, you are correct, ofcourse.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #768 of 790
Quote:

A point of which I was already aware.

From the point of view of the audience at a concert, is the sound being radiated spherically or hemispherically?

This whole subthread has been in relation to my attempting to answer someone's honest question as to why sound is blurred or veiled during the reproduction of deep bass notes and drum hits.

Maybe you should be in politics. Frankly, the exchange in this thread over the past several hours very clearly demonstrates and corroborates the validity of the numerical sequence I mentioned earlier. Probably the particular ratio that speaks most clearly to me from these observations is 26:4. Basically, the entire range of ratios from 26:1 all the way to 26:28 are instructional here.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #769 of 790
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That works for me. Well done!

I am getting an idea of what it means. Like the police codes for several things going on......

The end code would suggest end of something.
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #770 of 790
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
we were talking about this:

exactly, finally.

every sound is produced in a 3 dimensionl space. An instrument doesn't produce sound in a flat space, hence therefor is not a mono source. A piano for instance can produce multiple notes at the same time.

A mono speaker can only produce one note at a time?

Quote:

if you mean one origin of sound, you are correct, ofcourse.

What else do you think I mean other than one origin of sound?

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #771 of 790
Quote:

If you insist on quibbling, then the answer is obviously "neither." I have performed hundreds of concerts in my lifetime, and attended many others, but I have never played a concert where the performers and audience all sat on a perfectly flat plane or were suspended in the air.

But this is not the point. Your comment "a point of which I was already aware" demonstrates that you know it's not the point. And yet you argue for the sake of arguing, and the conversation gets further and further from whatever (possibly legitimate point) it was that you were actually trying to make.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #772 of 790
True or false:

Sound waves are alternate rarefactions and compressions of the atmosphere traveling through the atmosphere at the speed of sound for the particular conditions at that point.

Sound waves in the atmosphere travel into and through the ground as easily and as far as they do in the atmosphere.

All headphones are closed and completely seal the wearer's ears from the outside atmosphere.

Simple questions which have simple answers.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #773 of 790
Quote:

If you insist on quibbling, then the answer is obviously "neither." I have performed hundreds of concerts in my lifetime, and attended many others, but I have never played a concert where the performers and audience all sat on a perfectly flat plane or were suspended in the air.

But this is not the point. Your comment "a point of which I was already aware" demonstrates that you know it's not the point. And yet you argue for the sake of arguing, and the conversation gets further and further from whatever (possibly legitimate point) it was that you were actually trying to make.

Talk about quibbling..

Does the sound at a concert, from the point of view of the audience, radiate in a pattern that is closer to spherical or hemispherical?

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #774 of 790
Quote:

If you insist on quibbling, .... But this is not the point. Your comment "a point of which I was already aware" demonstrates that you know it's not the point. And yet you argue for the sake of arguing, and the conversation gets further and further from whatever (possibly legitimate point) it was that you were actually trying to make.

Great observation and key to the aforementioned 26:4 index.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #775 of 790
One more true or false:

One's ears can hear sound in the absence of sound waves.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #776 of 790
Quote:

Great observation and key to the aforementioned 26:4 index.

I believe that I mistakenly viewed the next number in the sequence as 26:5 but I see now that you are correct.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #777 of 790
Quote:

I believe that I mistakenly viewed the next number in the sequence as 26:5 but I see now that you are correct.

I totally agree with you. That was my initial thought and hope as well, and I ultimately came to realize that in this particular case, 26:4 is a more valid ratio.

I'm sorry I failed in my quest, but I guess we've all, save one, learned something.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #778 of 790
This, my friends, is the sound of one hand clapping.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #779 of 790
Quote:

I totally agree with you. That was my initial thought as well, and I ultimately came to realize that in this particular case, 26:4 is a more valid ratio.

I'm sorry I failed in my quest, but I guess we've all, save one, learned something.

So then the sequence ends with 26:16.

Aug 11, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #780 of 790
Quote:

So then the sequence ends with 26:16.

Exellent, very well put. Too bad though. I, myself, sort of fell prey to 26:17. I wonder why that never happened to LBJ?

Apologies to our friends on the other side of the pond if that last phrase seems a bit non-sequitur. PM me if you need explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back