Decent transport for a decent price
Oct 8, 2008 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

johnsonad

500+ Head-Fier
Beat to death thread but had to ask anyways. I'm happy with my Transporter and am going to use it as the DAC for a while selling off my Meridian. I need a CD transport that works well and is a decent price. I've heard of a few Dennon and there are kits such as DIY HIFI. What are your guys experience and any recommendations please? I would like CD and if it does SACD too that would be nice. AES output would be ideal but coax is probably what I'll end up with. Thanks!

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 12
I'll happily say it one more time:

I use a Toshiba DVD player which no longer plays DVD's - as a CD transport. It cost all of fifteen bucks and works great, as all it has to do is read the ones and zeroes. A good DAC covers the difficult work. What more do you need?? Even my digital cable is a cheapie.

Oct 10, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 12
Sony SCD-CE595 works well for me, but it only has TOSLINK optical output.

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 12
I use my PS1 as a spare CD player..works well unless you can't switch source at the amp end.

how much you want to spend?

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 12
There is the NEC 6xe:

cdrom

I use this at work for CDs. (as a second option, an optical out of a mac for digital playback)

I have used it for years without any issues. Supposedly there are mods that disconnect unused circuit components, improving it further. I have not tried that, but FYI

Oct 12, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #8 of 12
I tried using a cheapie Toshiba DVD player as a transport, but found that the coaxial out has more "haze" than my computer soundcard coaxial out. Could be noise, could be the transport itself. So better test it out before settling on anything.

Oct 12, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 12
Agree, I tried a cheap Toshiba DVD player as transport and wasn't very thrilled. On the other hand, I think the Oppo DVD players are not too bad though.

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #12 of 12
I second the Oppo suggestion. Good value for money, make great DVD players, and do SACD too. Not an especially impressive transport but will likely do in a pinch.

As for the Shigaclone from Peter Daniels, I'm a big fan of Peter Daniel and if he says this DIY project will yield a very good transport, my strong inclination is to believe him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back