Decent sound card for gaming
Sep 5, 2009 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

cobija

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone. Thanks to your help, i was able to decide on a very good pair of GAMING headphones (although i wanted closed but they are open). i got the AD700's from audio technica. These headphones are really good with onboard sound, but i want to take the next step in getting a sound card. I am looking for a basic gaming sound card, something that will improve the sound but will not put a hole in my pocket. i am currently using bose speakers that have a headphone jack. How different is that than directly into the computer?

Thanks alot guys!
L3000.gif

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 64
also, i have a 500 watt power supply with i believe 29 amps. is that enough to power that plus a 9800gtx and a dual 3.0 processor?

EDIT: if helpful, i play fps games like call of duty 4, team fortress 2, and counter strike source.

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 64
I have an X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro, a solid card for ~$100, with EAX 5.0, CMSS-3D, and other features. Although you could go for Asus Xonar Essence models if you have ~$200 to spare. If not, then an X-Fi is the best thing for gaming, and your AD700s don't need much power to sound good. I used to own AD700s, and I remember, paired with my X-Fi, was amazing in games (I used to play COD4, UT3, CS:S, LFD, Crysis, and several other FPS games)

Sep 5, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #5 of 64
well the bass on these headphones arent the best, and that isnt the most important feature to look for for getting gaming headphones. its more about positioning. Deus, what do you think of soundblasters? i am probably willing to spend around $50, unless its REALLY worth it to buy the $100, but 100 is my max max max
tongue_smile.gif
(EDIT: MEANT TO SAY 150!!)

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 64
soo snce im not really too knowledgeable in sound and music, etc, do i look in source components for sound cards? I also have no clue of any of the connections in sound cards. i basically think i just need the headphone plug. whats the other ones?

Sep 5, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 64
OK, You have:

Line Out: Industry standard, you can connect to any other consumer audio gear such as receivers, amplifier.. This is signal coming out of the card. e.g You could connect the card to your home theater and play your games in surround sound. Modern soudncards usually have multiple line outs for surround sound audio.

Line In: Industry standard, you can connect up your CD players Mp3 players, tape decks. This is signal going into the card. e.g. You could connect up your MP3 player and listen to it over the speakers connected to the PC. Some soundcards have multiple line inputs for recording purposes.

Mic In, similar to the line in but usually has a high gain amplifier for low level mics. They are usually considered add-on circuit and nothing you would want to use for quality vocal recording.

Headphone out: More and more cards are coming out with these. The are of varying quality depending on the cards. There are usually gain settings to set the proper levels for your headphones.

If you have an external headphones amplifier, you would connect that to your line out and the cans to the headphone amp.

Hope this helps.

Sep 6, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 64
yes that does help alot, thanks. basically all i am going to use is probably headphone in and most likely mic in. is line out for like speakers?

I was looking at some on newegg (trusted site for me) and i found two that i liked.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102006

that one since it has ok reviews and seems basic (headphone/speaker plug and mic plug, dont think i need anything else)

fast question, would you guys recommend me plugging headphones directly in the sound caard or is it ok in my speakers? i sometimes use my speakers.

Another one i found has best reviews on newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829271001

EDIT: i am running vista 32 bit, if that helps. i might upgrade to windows 7 a little later

Sep 6, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 64
Yes, line out is for the speakers.

Line out is fine for speakers but depending on the headphones you will usually need a headphone amplifier. Some sets can be driven from the line out but not all. Most of the cans people use and recommend around here will require either a built in headphone amplifier or a external amp unit.
For gaming and a headphone amplifier I would suggest this: Forte 7.1

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #14 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclepauly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes deals can be had. I bought my forte for $90 brand new after mir.

Very true. Deals are always deals.

Sep 6, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 64
yes that is true. on my other thread to pick headphones, a person posted a link that had that card on sale for 75 dollars! i feel dumb not picking it now =[

it was brand new, it was like a 50% off sale on alot of their stuff

EDIT: if the X-fi fatality pro went up againest the X-fi forte, which would win, regardless of price? because if its really really worth it, i said that i would raise my max to 150 (meant to say 150 in post, not 100)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back