Decent RCA's for $10-$25 a pair?
Nov 12, 2011 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

HawaiiR

100+ Head-Fier
So I think I'm making the move from Vinyl to CD's and now Traktor for my DJ sets. I'll still play vinyl here and there, but if I'm not playing analog, why bother carrying around CD's right?

Anyway, wondering if there are any recommendations on decent 3ft rca cables in the range of $10-$25 a pair. I have some great audioquests at home, but I really don't want to risk accidentally losing $800 worth of cables just b/c I was a little too inebriated at the end of the night to remember to take them off.

I'm considering blue jeans cables, but what else is there aside from those? I thought about the low end audioquest interconnects, but the rca plugs on those just don't seem friendly to constant plugging/unplugging.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
R

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 12
In that price range...

Blue Jeans
Monoprice
Build your Own (surprisingly easy to do)

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 12
Nov 15, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 12

Yeah, been looking at all three options actually. Was hoping there were some viable options to both monoprice and blue jeans.
A friend suggested he would make the cables for me, if I bought the components for him - he was suggesting furutech and wbt nexgen rca plugs, which are great, but can run upwards of $300 per connector... eeek!!!

I know, there are cheaper options, of course - maybe i'll just get blue jeans or monoprice while I do some research on getting moderately priced parts for making the cables myself.
Quote:
In that price range...

Blue Jeans
Monoprice
Build your Own (surprisingly easy to do)

Actually, I had a quite a few people ask about them - they seemed to take interest. But again, what worries me is the wrong people taking interest and taking off with them. 
Quote:
It's probley best you don't take your $800 cables out as people might laugh at them, these monoprice cables are good http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021814 ,

Let me ask you guys this: is there a noticeable difference in sound quality between the monoprice and blue jeans cables? Monoprice is really cheap, which makes me think they're at the same quality as cables I can pick up at the local radio shack or kmart.

Nov 15, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Let me ask you guys this: is there a noticeable difference in sound quality between the monoprice and blue jeans cables? Monoprice is really cheap, which makes me think they're at the same quality as cables I can pick up at the local radio shack or kmart.

1. No difference that I can detect. And I've not seen any difference measured by instruments (certainly not audible differences). The Blue Jeans are probably built a little better with better connectors... 

2. I've found monoprice cables (the premium versions) to be better built than what I've found at radio shack. Despite the very low price. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
1. No difference that I can detect. And I've not seen any difference measured by instruments (certainly not audible differences). The Blue Jeans are probably built a little better with better connectors... 

2. I've found monoprice cables (the premium versions) to be better built than what I've found at radio shack. Despite the very low price. 

And at less than $3 a pair, a much better deal than what radio shack offers. Maybe for this "portable" setup, monoprice is the better option for now.
Thanks!

Nov 15, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 12
I have some monoprice cables. I agree that they are the best value and better and cheaper than what you'll find at any local bog box/ RS store. -so inexpensive you should buy some back-ups for good measure.

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I have some monoprice cables. I agree that they are the best value and better and cheaper than what you'll find at any local bog box/ RS store. -so inexpensive you should buy some back-ups for good measure.

Think I'll probably pick up 6-8 sets tonight. Maybe a few more since I have some RCA cables I need to replace on a couple of 1200's i need to fix. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #10 of 12
Valabs makes a really killer set of plugs for 28 for a set of 4, you have to commit to a set of 4 I think but Vintage Audio Labs makes arguably the nicest plugs in the business!

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #11 of 12
Just checked those out... very nice! Perhaps a bit much for this particular use, but I'll keep them in mind when I re-do the rca's on my personal 1210 mk5's at home. The other 1200's are in **** condition... i'm just gonna fix, polish and sell em. 

You should check out the WBT Nexgen rca plugs. ... damn sexy. and expensive.

Quote:
Valabs makes a really killer set of plugs for 28 for a set of 4, you have to commit to a set of 4 I think but Vintage Audio Labs makes arguably the nicest plugs in the business!

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Just checked those out... very nice! Perhaps a bit much for this particular use, but I'll keep them in mind when I re-do the rca's on my personal 1210 mk5's at home. The other 1200's are in **** condition... i'm just gonna fix, polish and sell em. 

You should check out the WBT Nexgen rca plugs. ... damn sexy. and expensive.

Aww dude those are sick, the problem with using boutique RCA plugs is that without a strong brand to stand behind like Oyaide, Cardas, Furutech... it's really hard to justify the additional cost of these exotic RCA's. Do they make a sonic difference? Probably not, but the fit and finish guarantees reliable function for decades probably man.

I myself, have a set of pretty expensive 24k gold plated Cardas RCA's connected to between my DAC/amp, I have a set of Valab carbon fibers too just cuz I wanted to own them.

For everyday stuff, I personally use either Neutrik (silver chassis) or the Monoprice ones... I just got like 10 of them for whatever usage.... don't let the price fool you, I would have easily guessed these were 20 for a set of 4 easily, not the 1 dollar they command.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back