Decent Quality DIY MMCX Connectors?
Apr 10, 2021 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ragnorok64

New Head-Fier
Some time ago I converted my Fostex TR-X00 Purple Hearts to a removable wire using MMCX connectors. All was well for quite a while, but I started to notice that when I'd turn my head I'd get some static in my ears. I went so far as to redo my soldering but after doing some research it seems that the connectors can tarnish and can be cleaned with alcohol. So I did that and it fixed the problem temporarily, but it seems that the connectors I used on the male side just aren't up to snuff and will start the static again within a few days. Fortunately it doesn't seems to be an issue on the female side.

So I need to remake my headphone cable but I don't want to use the extra connectors that I still had from my original build. So does anyone know of some good quality DIY MMCX connectors that I can use? I'm honestly not sure of what keywords or brands I should be be on the lookout for since I never even know this was a problem until I experienced it. Any assistance would be helpful, thank you.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #2 of 8
I know what you mean as I have had same issues with several types of male MMCX. Then I purchased these as pictured and finally I got a set that's tough and not flimsy at all. I frequently swap cables between my IEMs and Headphones and not a single time these gave me any static issues.

They are unbranded but I reckon if you search AliExpress and you can find them. Just make sure they look exactly the same (L & R written in Gold)
MMCX.JPG

Apr 10, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 8
I know what you mean...
Thanks so much for that. This issue had been driving me crazy for months and I hadn't heard of it before.

as I have had same issues with several types of male MMCX. Then I purchased these as pictured and finally I got a set that's tough and not flimsy at all. I frequently swap cables between my IEMs and Headphones and not a single time these gave me any static issues.

They are unbranded but I reckon if you search AliExpress and you can find them. Just make sure they look exactly the same (L & R written in Gold)
MMCX.JPG
I'll keep an eye out. I would think the ""beryllium" portion is the important part. I just didn't know what to look for to not experience the same issue all over again.

Apr 10, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 8
Apr 11, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #6 of 8
Some time ago I converted my Fostex TR-X00 Purple Hearts to a removable wire
TH? As far as I know, all the TR come with a removable cable.

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 8
Those Rhodium plated MMCX plugs came in sooner than I was expecting, for something from AliExpress. So far so good, but I'll have to see how they are doing in some weeks or months from now.

I will say they fit the jacks much more snuggly than the previous male ends I was using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back