Decent "Helping Hands"
Dec 6, 2008 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

willne1

Head-Fier
I'm a noob trying to get some tools together and it looks to me from the pics I see here in the forum that these helping hands are pretty junky. What do you guys recommend I get?

TIA
William

Dec 6, 2008 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 14
Panavise x4.

One of the most useful tools I have. They're not cheap, but you'll get more than your money's worth if you build more than one thing.

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #7 of 14
I got this one off Amazon:

Amazon.com: Helping Hand Stand with Magnifier and Flex-Neck LED Light - Soldering, Electronics: Home Improvement

It's the same style as the other cheaper ones but a little better quality, plus it's got a handy little LED light. It's way better than a cheaper one I used to have. You can actually clamp it *tightly* into a certain position and not worry about the arms sagging.

The Panavise looks awesome, but if you don't wanna spend that kind of $ this one is pretty nice for an inexpensive one.

PS Ignore the two weirdly negative reviews..the light on mine was fine, and their other criticisms could apply to ANY helping hands. Any of them can be a little awkward depending on what you're trying to do with it, even the Panavise I'm sure. That's just the nature of the device (and DIY in general).

Dec 6, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by willne1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a noob trying to get some tools together and it looks to me from the pics I see here in the forum that these helping hands are pretty junky. What do you guys recommend I get?

A helpful girlfriend?
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerlike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A helpful girlfriend?
tongue.gif

Too distracting!
redface.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got this one off Amazon:

Amazon.com: Helping Hand Stand with Magnifier and Flex-Neck LED Light - Soldering, Electronics: Home Improvement

It's the same style as the other cheaper ones but a little better quality, plus it's got a handy little LED light. It's way better than a cheaper one I used to have. You can actually clamp it *tightly* into a certain position and not worry about the arms sagging.

Nice one. I got one similar (minus the led) from LIDL for about 10 euros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back