Decent headphones under $50 for school?
Apr 21, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #46 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoRoad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
personally I don't like wearing full-size in public, plus SRH240 and HAS700 don't look like they isolate at all.

out of those 3 I'd choose HD218/228. I made a thread about them while ago because I was questioning their SQ but someone came up with a mod that makes the sound brighter.

Appearances can be deceiving, which why it's generally not a good idea to make recommendations based on looks. The HA-S700 isolates better than 90% of the portable headphones I've owned; certainly better than anything I've tried under $50.

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #47 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Appearances can be deceiving, which why it's generally not a good idea to make recommendations based on looks. The HA-S700 isolates better than 90% of the portable headphones I've owned; certainly better than anything I've tried under $50.

I see. how's their clamping force? D1001 have a similar design but they offer zero isolation which is why I assumed that way.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #48 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoRoad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see. how's their clamping force? D1001 have a similar design but they offer zero isolation which is why I assumed that way.

Since the HA-S700s are both flat-folding and collapsible the cups have a very wide range of motion so they adapt very well to the shape of one's head. The pleather pads are actually made of memory foam underneath, which is common to all of JVC's higher-end portables, so they generally seal well. Clamping force is definitely higher than the D1001 but not unpleasantly high because of the aforementioned memory foam.

I really think that in terms of practicality the HA-S700 are as good as it gets for the money. I just can't agree that they are giant killers in sound. They are above average, but nothing more. If anyone's interested there is a full review of them in one of the threads in my sig...

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #49 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the HA-S700s are both flat-folding and collapsible the cups have a very wide range of motion so they adapt very well to the shape of one's head. The pleather pads are actually made of memory foam underneath, which is common to all of JVC's higher-end portables, so they generally seal well. Clamping force is definitely higher than the D1001 but not unpleasantly high because of the aforementioned memory foam.

I really think that in terms of practicality the HA-S700 are as good as it gets for the money. I just can't agree that they are giant killers in sound. They are above average, but nothing more. If anyone's interested there is a full review of them in one of the threads in my sig...

I think I will be going for these, unless someone can shed some light on the SRH240's.
Thanks everyone! ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back