Decent headphones under $50 for school?
Apr 18, 2010 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Esymptote

New Head-Fier
I recently bought a set of portapros, but they seem very fragile, leak a bit, and quite frankly, they aren't very "hip".
frown.gif
Don't worry though, I won't be returning them, they sound too good to go.

I'm looking for an around the ear (for isolation), durable, and somewhat decent looking pair of cans. As stated in the title, I'm looking in the sub $50 range, although the lower the better and preferably available in-store at a BestBuy or Fry's.

Sorry, if this is in the wrong section, I'm new
icon10.gif

Thanks!

EDIT: doesn't have to be around the ear as long as it has good isolation

EDIT 2: I want some nice looking, decent sounding, well isolated, durable headphones. No earbuds or in-the-ear. :]
I'll be buying the cans off of Amazon, if that helps.

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 49
Not sure about in-store but Frys does have the Panasonic RP-HTX7 in their inventory for $50. Don't know about 'hip' but they are circumaural and they sound quite alright.

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 49
This is not really my area of expertise (not sure I have an area of expertise if it comes to that) and because I live in Australia, I don't have a clue about Fry's inventory nor >$50 USD pricing. I am also plus 40, so what would I know about what has street cred (Hip/Cool, whatever). So with that all said:

Cheap, closed and half decent; how about Senn HD201 or HD418, or Shure SRH240.

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 49
Good sound is universal (geographically speaking) but fashion and hipness are very local things.

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #5 of 49
As I've said in another similar thread, Panasonic HTX7 are a good way to go. They come in several colors too (not sure if this meets your "hip" criteria...
smile.gif
).

Cheers
K.

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 49
Haha, HTX7 look pretty cool, but I heard the mids are pretty weak?
When I said "BestBuy and Fry's", I meant that they were able to be picked up in-store, so a target, radioshack, and etc would be fine as well.

I was looking at the Auvio CH102's. How would they compare to the HTX7's in sound?

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:08 AM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esymptote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the HD205's?
Amazon has them for $35.

They are not "around the ear" they stay "on the ear" in a tipical dj style. Having said that, my HD205 are the most uncomfortable headphones I've ever had. I didn't even counted how may times I've tried to stretch them overnight hooked on something. Soundwise they are not bad, punchy bass, a bit recessed mids and well extended highs, but with a touch of balance. Still, I prefer HTX7 both for sound and most of all for comfort

Regards
K.

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 49

Users who are viewing this thread

Back