Decent headphones under $50 for school?
Apr 18, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #16 of 49
What you need to do is go to guitar center (I hope you have one around your house). Go there try on all the headphones in the $50-$100 range. Once you have decided on the ones you like the best you can go check out ebay and amazon to get a price, normally around $50. I went to guitar center and tested the headphones and I decided on the ATH-m50's, you probably wouldn't want those though (Long cord and $100+ with not much style, but great sound IMO)

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #17 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abovetheair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you need to do is go to guitar center (I hope you have one around your house). Go there try on all the headphones in the $50-$100 range. Once you have decided on the ones you like the best you can go check out ebay and amazon to get a price, normally around $50. I went to guitar center and tested the headphones and I decided on the ATH-m50's, you probably wouldn't want those though (Long cord and $100+ with not much style, but great sound IMO)

Thanks for the idea! I've never been to the DJ room (I'm assuming they're in there), but hopefully I'll be able to check it out the next time I go.

I've come to three headphones:
1. Auvio CH102 (I guess they're a radioshack exclusive?)
2. Panasonic HTX7
3. JVC HAS700

If anyone could give me a simple comparison that would be great!

Might add Sennheiser 218's to the mix.

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #18 of 49
No idea about the Auvios but the HA-S700 lose to the RP-HTX7 in terms of sound quite badly. They're warm and a bit flabby, lacking notably in detail, and a bit sibilant at first though they straighten out over time. Also soundstaging is mediocre and instrumental separation is non-existent, which was my big gripe with them. They are well-isolating and very comfortable but below the usual $30 recommendations (think Portapros, PX100, etc) in sound.

Apr 18, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esymptote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Joker!
I guess it comes down to the HTX7's and the HD 218's.
Any thoughts?

I don't know about fashion where you live, but i would prefer coming to class without pants than showing up with the HTX7 on my head. And i go to a religious school.

Apr 18, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

Thanks Joker!
I guess it comes down to the HTX7's and the HD 218's.
Any thoughts?

HTX7, they get better reviews. Though as stated above they are not the most attractive headphones. You can also get them on amazon for $30.

OTHER Suggestions:
You can always save, another $50 will give a much greater amount of quality. I understand though, people tend to take things at school
triportsad.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #22 of 49
HD218 will be a good choice. Very portable, don't look dorky by anyones opinion, reasonable isolation and decent sound for the price.
You can't spring for HD228? Sound better, more ballanced than HD218.

Apr 18, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #23 of 49
Haha, yea I don't want to spend too much on something that might be stolen or broken.
I just lost my fourth pair of skullcandies, because my friend ripped an earbud off while fooling around. (I know they aren't thought of greatly, but the earbuds are decent in my opinion for $15)

I'll probably be getting the HD218's maybe spring for the 228's, unless someone can recommend something else.

EDIT: SRH240's look pretty cool and they have decent reviews. Any thoughts?

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Haha, yea I don't want to spend too much on something that might be stolen or broken.
I just lost my fourth pair of skullcandies, because my friend ripped an earbud off while fooling around. (I know they aren't thought of greatly, but the earbuds are decent in my opinion for $15)

I'll probably be getting the HD218's maybe spring for the 228's, unless someone can recommend something else.

I can reccomend that you never buy a skullcandy product again, they are decent but cheaply made. Think of it you could have had another $60 t

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Abovetheair /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can reccomend that you never buy a skullcandy product again, they are decent but cheaply made. Think of it you could have had another $60 t

Haha, ironic how there's a skullcandy ad in my window.

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #27 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoRoad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD228 is one beautiful headphone. but they do sound worse than portapro

I know I won't be able to find a closed headphone, in the same price range as the portapros that sound as great as they do, but anything reasonably close would be awesome.

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #28 of 49
I own the px100 and the protapros and for $30 on ebay you can get a pair of portapro's and you won't need to look back. They are great phones. I also had a pair of ksc35's which i believe use the same drivers, but either way portapros are real nice. Also, people do comment on how cool they are and how they fold up. Added bonus.

Apr 19, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by johndoe12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the px100 and the protapros and for $30 on ebay you can get a pair of portapro's and you won't need to look back. They are great phones. I also had a pair of ksc35's which i believe use the same drivers, but either way portapros are real nice. Also, people do comment on how cool they are and how they fold up. Added bonus.

PX100, Portapros, KSC75, are headphones top cheap headphones. These are phenomenal like my Grado SR60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back