Decent 3rd party lightning dongle DAC/amp for iPhone?
Apr 9, 2021 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

PopZeus

Headphoneus Supremus
Is this a thing that exists? I'm not talking about a USB or USB-C DAC/amp attached with the Apple camera kit cable. I'm talking about a dongle DAC/amp that has a direct connection like the Apple one, but sounds better than that last resort. It seems like no one wants to make one despite there being so many iOS devices out there.

Apr 11, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Is this a thing that exists? I'm not talking about a USB or USB-C DAC/amp attached with the Apple camera kit cable. I'm talking about a dongle DAC/amp that has a direct connection like the Apple one, but sounds better than that last resort. It seems like no one wants to make one despite there being so many iOS devices out there.
Yes, both the Lotoo PAW S1 and the Luxury & Precision W2 do what you want. They both sound great, but my preference is with the W2.

Here is a picture of the W2 paired with my iPhone Xs Max. I have attached it to my iPhone with velcro to make it easy to walk around with. S1 works the same way.

edited to note: Many people consider the W2 as the midfi DAP killer. I can confirm that it sounds better than my HIby R6 2020 which I bought for $799. I think you need to go over $1000 in a DAP to sound better than this dongle.

Attachments

• Odin W2 iPhone.JPG
    Odin W2 iPhone.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 7
Yes, both the Lotoo PAW S1 and the Luxury & Precision W2 do what you want. They both sound great, but my preference is with the W2.

Here is a picture of the W2 paired with my iPhone Xs Max. I have attached it to my iPhone with velcro to make it easy to walk around with. S1 works the same way.

edited to note: Many people consider the W2 as the midfi DAP killer. I can confirm that it sounds better than my HIby R6 2020 which I bought for $799. I think you need to go over $1000 in a DAP to sound better than this dongle.
Very intriguing... is that a lightning to USB-C cable? Is there some special cable you had to buy in order for the iPhone to recognize the W2? I thought all these devices had to go through a bulkier adapter.

NM: Saw that the W2 comes with a custom lightning to USB-C cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back