December 6th New England Headfi Meet at Fidelis AV - Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2014 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

pmwoodward

New Head-Fier

thanks guys, I think I will be there just after noon.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 37
I attended this event and is was a wonderful time. May I first extend my gratitude to Fedelis for hosting this event. I can attest firsthand that they are a great audio resource in the area. I met a great bunch of guys and a beautiful Golden Retriever. So many wonderful setups to listen to. As I am new to the hobby, this was a great experience to actually hear the cans that I have been reading up on the past 2 years. It was great meeting you all. For the purpose of putting a name to a username, I will attach a pic of myself. I would encourage others to do the same. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 37
It was a great meet. Got to talk to a lot of people and hear what they felt was great about music, hardware and other topics. I came away with some appreciation for tube amps and balanced connections. A big thank you for the guys at Fidelis for hosting us. Really grateful for their hospitality. Thank you Todd for some of your music recommendations. Hope you like the stuff I passed over to you. I really appreciate everyone's feedback and glad people got a chance to listen to my HE-400i phones. I really enjoy them and glad the see that others liked them as well. Thank you to everyone who participated. It was great fun.

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 37

Loved the meetup. I was the teenager there. My favorites had to be the ZMF Blackwood and the HE-400i. Both were amazing headphones, thanks to @zach915m for the chance to try the Blackwood and I believe it was @Richsvt who brought the HE-400i. I did enjoy meeting everyone and trying out all the headphones; it was my first time trying a lot of really high-end stuff, and actually might have (somewhat) changed my preferred sound signature from totally neutral to the more bassy side of neutral. I'd never tried good headphones with a good amount of bass, and trying the woodied Denons there along with the ZMF (not as bassy, but liked it more) was great. I'd love to go to the next one in the area.

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 37
I did not put a picture up as I don't want to break the site. No need for my mug to be pasted around....I was the guy with the only HiFiman HE-400i there...

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 37
Who had that funky device with that spectacular interface hooked up to that awesome tube amp that looked liked it was sourced from a Bioshock video game. That was great. I'd like to look into that device more, it was fascinating. It was a round unit with a touch interactive interface. Please let me know...damn, there goes my wallet.

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #7 of 37
Who had that funky device with that spectacular interface hooked up to that awesome tube amp that looked liked it was sourced from a Bioshock video game. That was great. I'd like to look into that device more, it was fascinating. It was a round unit with a touch interactive interface. Please let me know...damn, there goes my wallet.

It wasn't me, but I assume you mean this.

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 37
Yes sir that's the one.

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 37
I want to thank Fidelis for the awesome time! The scheduling, the layout and the FOOD were all top notch.

It's a shame vinnie couldn't make it. I hope he can recover quickly from being sick.

I also want to thank all the members of head-fi that could make the meet. You were all extremely nice and more importantly welcoming. I really thought I'd feel out of place amung all the expensive headphones. This wasn't the case and I felt right at home. 

Here are some random pictures of the meets. I'm normally really good at taking pictures but I didn't want to invest the time on proper setup. 

I've deemed these the "mardi gras" cables. I love this design.

Then the randomness begins

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 37
Fun afternoon. Great to meet you all!

Thanks to the host store Fidelis. The Fidelis guys were totally cool. They have several great listening rooms of varying sizes and a room dedicated to headphones with a selection of test cans and several amps.

+1 on the ZMF Blackwoods. Compared to my Mad Dogs, the Blackwoods were more detailed and had a bigger sound.

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #12 of 37
This is my first meet so I didn't know what to expect. This is my impressions of the headphones.

#1 headphone is without a doubt the Stax 0009? Not quite sure what model it was. Absolutely loved this headphone. When you have unlimited funds and want the best sound this is it.

#2 Sennheiser 800. I can't understand any of the negative reviews on this. I listened to it on a setup costing well over $2,000 and then my setup costing less then $300. In both instances it sounded amazing. It was analytical yet neither cold or boring. I'm very tempted on buying a pair.

#3 Fostex TH500RP. This one may come as a surprise. With all the great headphones there this headphone just hit a sweet spot with me. It was insanely light, great comfort and sounded full. The music came alive in a slightly artificial way but was very enjoyable. This is another headphone I'm heavily considering buying myself.

Honorable Mention. Sennheiser 650. These are super light, incredibly comfortable and smooth as butter. Of all the headphones I listened too I think these would be the most comfortably on a long listening session. Such a great headphone.

Other headphones

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 37
Thanks for posting Picts Folex. Glad you had the foresight to bring a camera a take time to use it. I was too busy listening and checking out everyone's gear. I wish I had spent more time listening to the mods you made. Great stuff for what you explained was done and the cost involved. Bravo.

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 37
Thanks for posting Picts Folex. Glad you had the foresight to bring a camera a take time to use it. I was too busy listening and checking out everyone's gear. I wish I had spent more time listening to the mods you made. Great stuff for what you explained was done and the cost involved. Bravo.

The pictures were all an after-thought. I really didn't even want to take them. I wanted to try all the gear and talk to as many people as possible.  I still have video I need to edit a little and post. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back