December 6th New England Headfi Meet at Fidelis AV - Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #16 of 37
All,

I am very sorry I could not make it to this meet.  For the last few days, I've been bedridden with what turned out to be a horrible sinus infection.  Today, a Saturday, I found a "ReadyMed" (walk-in medical care) and finally got the DRUGS I need to kill this thing off and get myself vertical again.  

Enough of that - thanks to everyone who make it and for all of you for posting your impressions and pics.  Looks like it was a big success!

A very big thank you to Fidelis AV for hosting the 1st New England Headfi Meet in a long time (it was long overdue)!   I sure hope to be there for the next one!

Happy Holidays, everyone!

Vinnie

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #17 of 37
  For some reason its only 320p and not 1080p. Oh well.. I'm too tired to edit this. 

Hi Folex,

Thanks for taking this video... really wish I was there today.

I hope everyone had a good time.

BTW - did anyone try that leather chair with the built-in near-field speakers and sub?  I want! (but with some Harbeth P3ESR's) 
wink.gif

Vinnie

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #18 of 37
We missed you Vinnie!  Fidelis was a great host though - and it was a great meet all around - easily the best catered event I've been too, very very nice!  It was great meeting everyone - I had a wonderful time, and we had such a great grouping of headphones, amps, DAC's that it made for a great listening session.  I LOVED the Decware Taboo 111 and have no idea why I hadn't heard of this amp before.  Incredible sounding, and the LCD-X's that were hooked up to it were sublime.  Really jaw dropping. Here's the link to the amp that was at the meet:  http://www.decware.com/newsite/TABOO.htm

Really glad I got to hear the Stax 009's - so effortless and pleasing.

Casper's t50rp is a work of art - beautifully finished and great sounding, I'm a fan!  Folex's modded beyer/AT (did you think of a name for it yet?)  was really really cool.  As he said, it doesn't look like a high end headphone, but it certainly sounds like one.  It was really neat to listen to.

I also finally got to hear the Sennheiser HD 650/700/800 all back to back, very cool experience to really hear the subtle yet definite differences between all those.  So much great stuff - thanks guys!

Oh...and for anyone interested, it is this surge protector that apparently filter's power that made my Schiit Mjolnir finally stop humming:  http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Outlet-PowerCenter-Clean-Power/dp/B000I7OIBW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417927175&sr=8-1&keywords=monster+surge+protector+stage+1

Now I have to get one of those too!

Oh, and lastly, I really do like the new Fostex TH500, it's different from all the Hifiman and LCD stuff, and a headphone I certainly want to spend more time with after hearing it.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 6, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #19 of 37
  Hi Folex,

Thanks for taking this video... really wish I was there today.

I hope everyone had a good time.

BTW - did anyone try that leather chair with the built-in near-field speakers and sub?  I want! (but with some Harbeth P3ESR's) 
wink.gif

Vinnie

I think everyone was too deep into headphones. I saw that chair and thought to myself.. I need one of those!

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #20 of 37

I think everyone was too deep into headphones. I saw that chair and thought to myself.. I need one of those!

Yeah - I wanted to try it but I was waiting for someone else to turn it on lol.  I guess it never happened!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Dec 7, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #21 of 37
Vinnie, sorry you weren't feeling well, hope you're up and well very soon.  Missed you and your modded Sony and new Lio gear, all look pretty damn interesting.  But thanks to you and the great folks at Fidelis for organizing and hosting.

Great to meet & chat with folks, try out some new music and gear, and even walked away with a new toy from the store.

I enjoyed quite a bit, probably did more a bit more chatting than listening, but enjoyed the music (great stuff, Rich and Stefan), the gear that I heard (and should have tried more), the store, the food, and Maya the dog.

One things that was clear, is that the entry point to great sound on the electronics side was pretty inexpensive.  One can do better, but margins of return get pricier quite quickly, and the levels of enjoyment even at lower price points can be big.

Others will post pics I'm sure, looking forward to them.....

EDIT: didn't see all the replies in the original meet thread, great stuff!!

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #24 of 37
(I just copied and pasted this here)

I want to thank Fidelis for the awesome time! The scheduling, the layout and the FOOD were all top notch.

It's a shame vinnie couldn't make it. I hope he can recover quickly from being sick.

I also want to thank all the members of head-fi that could make the meet. You were all extremely nice and more importantly welcoming. I really thought I'd feel out of place amung all the expensive headphones. This wasn't the case and I felt right at home. 

Here are some random pictures of the meets. I'm normally really good at taking pictures but I didn't want to invest the time on proper setup. 

I've deemed these the "mardi gras" cables. I love this design.

Then the randomness begins

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #25 of 37
(Also copied from the other topic)

This is my first meet so I didn't know what to expect. This is my impressions of the headphones.

#1 headphone is without a doubt the Stax 0009? Not quite sure what model it was. Absolutely loved this headphone. When you have unlimited funds and want the best sound this is it.

#2 Sennheiser 800. I can't understand any of the negative reviews on this. I listened to it on a setup costing well over $2,000 and then my setup costing less then $300. In both instances it sounded amazing. It was analytical yet neither cold or boring. I'm very tempted on buying a pair.

#3 Fostex TH500RP. This one may come as a surprise. With all the great headphones there this headphone just hit a sweet spot with me. It was insanely light, great comfort and sounded full. The music came alive in a slightly artificial way but was very enjoyable. This is another headphone I'm heavily considering buying myself.

Honorable Mention. Sennheiser 650. These are super light, incredibly comfortable and smooth as butter. Of all the headphones I listened too I think these would be the most comfortably on a long listening session. Such a great headphone.

Other headphones

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #26 of 37
Hello all,
I'm the one with the Decware amp, LCD-X's and the Olive One.  I'm in the green jacket in the above photos.
Here is a link to each product.
Decware Zen Taboo mkIII
Olive One
Audeze LCD-X
I was an early investor in the Olive One's Indiegogo campaign.  My advice to anyone interested in the One is to wait a bit.  The software still needs work.  The phone app is currently not working on my android phone (I blame Lollipop on this one as some other apps do not work on the OS either, and it was working fine on the old OS).  You will read about a lot of unhappy investors to the campaign if you do some research.  They had many delays and their communication with backers was woefully inadequate.  Indeed, one of the guys at the meet was just such a person.  I think he returned his after a week.  I've stuck it out and with each software revision it is getting better.  I ultimately got on board because it's a great GUI, cool form factor, and it's open source nature will allow them to add features.  Soon you'll be able to use Spotify and other services on it.  The DAC inside is decent, but I think if you heard some of the other sources there, there are a lot more refined DAC's out there like that Sony setup or the Antelope hooked up to the Stax.  My plan in the future is to use it's digital out into a better DAC. 

I had a great time.  I didn't get to listen to everything.  I am just getting over a cold so my ears were popped half the time.  So I won't pass judgement on anything.  Having said that, I loved the Stax 009, LCD-3s, and Senn HD-800's.  It was great fun to just be able to talk to folks with the same interest.  None of my friends are into this stuff so it was good to make some connections.

A big thanks to Fidelis for being a great host, allowing us to use the space and talk and hear gear that they don't sell.  Not every store would do that.  I was really looking forward to meeting Vinnie and hearing his new products.  Oh well, maybe next time.  I would definitely like to go back to Fidelis and hear some of the Acoustic Signature Turntables, Harbeth speakers, and Diavalet gear.  If anyone went in that little side room they had the small Harbeth's playing with I think the Diavalet and it was really impressive for a small system.  

Anyway, I look forward to the next meet.  Maybe if I have more ambition I'll bring my vinyl setup... but that's a lot more work.
Drew

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #27 of 37
We missed you Vinnie!  Fidelis was a great host though - and it was a great meet all around - easily the best catered event I've been too, very very nice!  It was great meeting everyone - I had a wonderful time, and we had such a great grouping of headphones, amps, DAC's that it made for a great listening session.  I LOVED the Decware Taboo 111 and have no idea why I hadn't heard of this amp before.  Incredible sounding, and the LCD-X's that were hooked up to it were sublime.  Really jaw dropping. Here's the link to the amp that was at the meet:  http://www.decware.com/newsite/TABOO.htm

Really glad I got to hear the Stax 009's - so effortless and pleasing.

Casper's t50rp is a work of art - beautifully finished and great sounding, I'm a fan!  Folex's modded beyer/AT (did you think of a name for it yet?)  was really really cool.  As he said, it doesn't look like a high end headphone, but it certainly sounds like one.  It was really neat to listen to.

I also finally got to hear the Sennheiser HD 650/700/800 all back to back, very cool experience to really hear the subtle yet definite differences between all those.  So much great stuff - thanks guys!

Oh...and for anyone interested, it is this surge protector that apparently filter's power that made my Schiit Mjolnir finally stop humming:  http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Outlet-PowerCenter-Clean-Power/dp/B000I7OIBW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417927175&sr=8-1&keywords=monster+surge+protector+stage+1

Now I have to get one of those too!

Oh, and lastly, I really do like the new Fostex TH500, it's different from all the Hifiman and LCD stuff, and a headphone I certainly want to spend more time with after hearing it.

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #28 of 37
Just want to add my thanks to Fidelis for hosting and providing such great food.  Really nice meeting everyone and hearing all the gear - looking forward to doing it again.
Best,
Larry

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #29 of 37
Hello all,
I'm the one with the Decware amp, LCD-X's and the Olive One.  I'm in the green jacket in the above photos.
Here is a link to each product.
Decware Zen Taboo mkIII
Olive One
Audeze LCD-X
I was an early investor in the Olive One's Indiegogo campaign.  My advice to anyone interested in the One is to wait a bit.  The software still needs work.  The phone app is currently not working on my android phone (I blame Lollipop on this one as some other apps do not work on the OS either, and it was working fine on the old OS).  You will read about a lot of unhappy investors to the campaign if you do some research.  They had many delays and their communication with backers was woefully inadequate.  Indeed, one of the guys at the meet was just such a person.  I think he returned his after a week.  I've stuck it out and with each software revision it is getting better.  I ultimately got on board because it's a great GUI, cool form factor, and it's open source nature will allow them to add features.  Soon you'll be able to use Spotify and other services on it.  The DAC inside is decent, but I think if you heard some of the other sources there, there are a lot more refined DAC's out there like that Sony setup or the Antelope hooked up to the Stax.  My plan in the future is to use it's digital out into a better DAC. 

I had a great time.  I didn't get to listen to everything.  I am just getting over a cold so my ears were popped half the time.  So I won't pass judgement on anything.  Having said that, I loved the Stax 009, LCD-3s, and Senn HD-800's.  It was great fun to just be able to talk to folks with the same interest.  None of my friends are into this stuff so it was good to make some connections.

A big thanks to Fidelis for being a great host, allowing us to use the space and talk and hear gear that they don't sell.  Not every store would do that.  I was really looking forward to meeting Vinnie and hearing his new products.  Oh well, maybe next time.  I would definitely like to go back to Fidelis and hear some of the Acoustic Signature Turntables, Harbeth speakers, and Diavalet gear.  If anyone went in that little side room they had the small Harbeth's playing with I think the Diavalet and it was really impressive for a small system.  

Anyway, I look forward to the next meet.  Maybe if I have more ambition I'll bring my vinyl setup... but that's a lot more work.
Drew

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #30 of 37
I had a great time at the meet, listened to most of the headphones. My favorites were the HE-400i and the ZMF Blackwood.

One things that was clear, is that the entry point to great sound on the electronics side was pretty inexpensive.  One can do better, but margins of return get pricier quite quickly, and the levels of enjoyment even at lower price points can be big.

I did realize at the meet that 2x the price won't always get you 2x the enjoyment. The Stax was great, but it was certainly not 10x better than the $450-$500 HE-400i (whose sound signature I actually preferred). The best headphone I had tried before the meet was a Sennheiser RS180, which goes for ~$200, and totally wowed me. The two headphones I listed as my favorites gave me that wow feeling again, but it wasn't as incredible as the first time I tried the RS180. 

I was really glad to try out the FiiO X1 with my own headphones (Shure SRH440), it was a wonderful music player and I loved the look and feel. The UI and sound were great as well. Hopefully this spring I'll get the X1 with some IEMs, then the Schiit Fulla (the Magni/Modi combo were wonderful) with Sennheiser HD558s/the IEMs. Speaking of IEMs, at the meet I got to try some good bassy headphones. Before I'd gone to the meet, the only bassy headphones I had tried were congested and muddy. I really enjoyed some of the more bassy (than mine) headphones there, especially the woodied Denon and the Blackwood. I'm now considering Shure SE215s; has anyone tried them/can anyone do a very short comparison to a similar sounding headphone that was at the meet? Amount/quality of bass, vocals forwards/distant, and separation are my main interests.

It was great to meet everyone and try out all the headphones, I look forwards to the next meet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back