Debating on the MDR-SA5000 need some help
Nov 4, 2008 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Deadneddz

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own UE-11s and AKG K701s,

The UE-11s have a somewhat recessed midrange and really lacks bite to the guitars and the natural timbre of drums imo.

However they do provide incredible resolution and details and i feel that they are more transparent and faster than the K701s. The vocals on the UE11s are rich and suductive, without any hollowing or thinness that i find with the K701s.

My AKG K701s provide to my ears, incredible timbre. The tone of these cans is just magical in that drums, symbols, pretty much all instruments sound very real and natural. I just dont like the hollowness and sterile midrange and the lack of really being able to fill the expansive soundstage it gives. It also feels as though the sound is coming from a "gray" background or a "fog". Transients often smear with the AKGs and detail retrieval is definately inferior to my UE11s.

I know that electrostats are my cup of tea but am not in a position to purchase one, or the system they really require right now.

Im hoping that the MRD-SA5000 can give me the speed, resolution, and details of my UE11s, but also give me natural and realistic tone in drums and guitars that the UE11s cannot. Anyone care to help guide my decision? I find that the hollowness and echoey sound in voices of my AKGs to be quite large coloration and am hoping the SA5000 can fill this void.

I just need a can that has excellent resolution, is fast, and has very natural tone to voices and instruments.

I know i need a pair of O2s but that will come later.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 5, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently own UE-11s and AKG K701s,

The UE-11s have a somewhat recessed midrange and really lacks bite to the guitars and the natural timbre of drums imo.

However they do provide incredible resolution and details and i feel that they are more transparent and faster than the K701s. The vocals on the UE11s are rich and suductive, without any hollowing or thinness that i find with the K701s.

My AKG K701s provide to my ears, incredible timbre. The tone of these cans is just magical in that drums, symbols, pretty much all instruments sound very real and natural. I just dont like the hollowness and sterile midrange and the lack of really being able to fill the expansive soundstage it gives. It also feels as though the sound is coming from a "gray" background or a "fog". Transients often smear with the AKGs and detail retrieval is definately inferior to my UE11s.

I know that electrostats are my cup of tea but am not in a position to purchase one, or the system they really require right now.

Im hoping that the MRD-SA5000 can give me the speed, resolution, and details of my UE11s, but also give me natural and realistic tone in drums and guitars that the UE11s cannot. Anyone care to help guide my decision? I find that the hollowness and echoey sound in voices of my AKGs to be quite large coloration and am hoping the SA5000 can fill this void.

I just need a can that has excellent resolution, is fast, and has very natural tone to voices and instruments.

I know i need a pair of O2s but that will come later.
evil_smiley.gif

I wouldn't call the SA5000 realistic or natural. I had both and sold the 701's..Albeit, they crapped all over the SA5000, When mating with the right amp. The BADA12 and DAC1 combo was beyond stunning.. But the 701s are too picky and finicky. I sold my bada12, and the 701's sound like ass out of my DAC1 headphone amp, so I sold them.

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't call the SA5000 realistic or natural. I had both and sold the 701's..Albeit, they crapped all over the SA5000, When mating with the right amp. The BADA12 and DAC1 combo was beyond stunning.. But the 701s are too picky and finicky. I sold my bada12, and the 701's sound like ass out of my DAC1 headphone amp, so I sold them.

You wouldnt call the SA5000 realistic or natural? or did you mean the K701?

Nov 5, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #7 of 13
What are you amping the K-701 with? I used to think they were sterile and plasticky through five or six amps I threw at them. I was on the verge of selling them to pay for a Zana Deux, but decided to hang on to see if the Zana made any difference. I still have the K-701.

With the Zana, the K-701 warmed up, brought out the mids and started sounding quite good.

So, if you sorta like the K-701, hang onto it and look for a different amp. The Zana brings out its best, but I'm sure there are others that do the same.

The Beyerdynamic DT880 might also be to your liking. It has the detail you're looking for and richer mids than the K-701.

Nov 5, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadneddz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You wouldnt call the SA5000 realistic or natural? or did you mean the K701?

SA5000. They do lean more realistic then natural though. Sorry for the 48 reference, but 48's are more realistic and natural then both of the headphones mentioned, especially in the vocals department.. Very grounded and 'earthy' with a nice grittiness to them. The 701s are airy and organic. I'd try the SA5000 before you buy..It's a love hate type of headphone.

Nov 6, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

couldn't the sa5000 "crap" all over the 701s if you "mated" the sa5000 with the right amp+dac combo? what setup were you using for the sa5000 comparison.

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by demoNMaCHiN3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
couldn't the sa5000 "crap" all over the 701s if you "mated" the sa5000 with the right amp+dac combo? what setup were you using for the sa5000 comparison.

Same.. Even though they weren't as euphoric or musical as the 701's, the SA5000 had qualities I wanted, and sounded out of most gear.

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

SA5000. They do lean more realistic then natural though. Sorry for the 48 reference, but 48's are more realistic and natural then both of the headphones mentioned, especially in the vocals department.. Very grounded and 'earthy' with a nice grittiness to them. The 701s are airy and organic. I'd try the SA5000 before you buy..It's a love hate type of headphone.

I am a bit confused here. What would be the difference between "natural" and "realistic"?

Nov 6, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 13
My newly acquired SA5000 crap all over the 701's I used to own in my modest setup; full disclaimer though, I was and am using the Apogee Duet as an amp as well as DAC. In this setup the SA5000 give me those things that the 701 could not namely speed, detail, and impact. I also tried the 701 through a Raptor that I bought on trial and whilst a small improvement was still not impactful enough. So far, I am beyond pleased with SA5000 and am already thinking if an APS V3 recable is worth it and what it would bring to the table. I would highly recommend auditioning the SA5000 through Amazon, you can always return if you don't like it. Oh, and the fit/finish, comfort, and metal stand are all top notch as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back