Deathproof
Mar 10, 2008 at 12:32 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Snake Pliskin still sucks.

Why? What was the point? What was the movie about? After watching it I felt like some one stole 2 hours of my life.

Mitch

What.

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #20 of 29
escape_l.jpg

Huh?

Mitch

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
escape_l.jpg

Huh?

Mitch

The name's Plisskin.

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand the point of the movie. It's basically a bunch of filler leading up to a lukewarm chase scene. Why not just watch Vanishing Point?

The entire point of Grindhouse was to bring back the theme of the old cheesy B-Movies, not the giant academy award-winning plot thrillers. Also, the movie more specifically was more focused on the psychological interactions of the characters and the revenge theme than the chase.

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #24 of 29
I enjoyed it. It's Quentin demonstrating what he loves about grindhouse movies, initially with a joke, and becoming a love fest for Zoey. And a great real car chase.

Mar 10, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #25 of 29
I thought Deathproof was awesome, I love car chase movies, some were mentioned in the film, and this movie was great because they used real cars and stunt people like they used to. Its kinda like Gone in 60 seconds vs the new version, NO CONTEST. The new one was a total letdown and I thought Deathproof was fantastic. If you cant enjoy a movie like that then you need to loosen up. Who are all these people who go to horror flicks and action flicks to run home and write bad reviews for lack of story or lack of realism? ITS HOLLYWOOD PEOPLE!

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand the point of the movie. It's basically a bunch of filler leading up to a lukewarm chase scene. Why not just watch Vanishing Point?

Why did you go see the movie in the first place? Also, how many time can you watch Vanishing Point. Another good one is the Seven Ups with Roy Scheider, same guys who did the car chase in Bullet.

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #27 of 29
I found Death Proof to be a few minutes of worthwhile movie surrounded by long stretches of tedium. It spends a great amount of time trying to get the audience invested in the victims, but fails to do so, and the last third of the movie felt pointless. I think the problem with tribute movies like these is that they really need to rise to at least the level of the better films of the genre they are emulating, but I don't think that Death Proof was able to do that in any meaningful way. It isn't a bad film, but it isn't a film I would watch over and over.

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

I found Death Proof to be a few minutes of worthwhile movie surrounded by long stretches of tedium. It spends a great amount of time trying to get the audience invested in the victims, but fails to do so, and the last third of the movie felt pointless. I think the problem with tribute movies like these is that they really need to rise to at least the level of the better films of the genre they are emulating, but I don't think that Death Proof was able to do that in any meaningful way. It isn't a bad film, but it isn't a film I would watch over and over.

x2, except for the chase sequence which I wont mind watching again.

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #29 of 29
Watched Planet Terror last night and LOVED it. It was like a long love-letter to John Carpenter, especially the music which was pure Escape from New York. My only problem was Rodriguez seemed to be aping Carpenter's Grindhouse (more accurately "exploitation") style but without the conviction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back