Death Metal Discussion
Apr 28, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #76 of 650
You guys listen to some brutal stuff.......that Cephalic Carnage, Cryptopsy for instance was too much for me and had to sell
tongue.gif

Dark Angels fav Death Metal (no nordic melodeath):

1)Morbid Angel (first 4 albums)

2)Obituary (first 4 albums)

3)Death (last 4 albums)

4)Posessed - 7 Churches

5)Carcass - heartwork + necroticism

6)Behemoth (last 4 albums)

7)Cynic & Aethist

8)Entombed (first 3 albums)

9)At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

10)Benediction - Transcend the Rubicon

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #77 of 650
A great often overlooked band from the early 90's are Disembowelment from Australia who had only one studio album Transcendence into the Peripheral. I have the original, but it was re-released a few years ago as a "deluxe" edition. Highly recommended.

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #78 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys listen to some brutal stuff.......that Cephalic Carnage for instance was too much for me and had to sell
tongue.gif

Placed order for 2CD Roadrunner sets by:
-Suffocation
-Pestilence
If I don't like perhaps someone here can buy from me

You can probably find torrents for most of these albums, if you want to "try before buy".

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:43 PM Post #79 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can probably find torrents for most of these albums, if you want to "try before buy".

-Pestilence sounds pretty good
-Suffocation does not sound like my style

using samples at Amazon

Apr 29, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #81 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only slaughter of the soul?

That was their worst album
frown.gif

I have several by them, not sure any one is clearly that much better than others.......Slaughter is the most popular so I listed that

Listening to Morbid Angel - Covenant
I don't listen much to pure fast brutal death metal discussed here, but Morbid Angel is my favorite death metal group. I like that the music is heavy and uses all speeds with a lot of sick evil sludgy mid tempo structure and then has the searing alien like guitar work of Trey Azagthoth that is just breath taking and quite unique.....like a snake it slithers out of the sonic backgound and packs a powerful venemous bite.

I actually like the lead singer of Obituary a bit more, a more varied, flexible and skillful vocalist. So that would be one small improvement for MA, trade singers with Obituary.

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #82 of 650
Sorry for thread jacking, but I was wondering if any of you know how I can obtain the "Ten Masked Men" albums. I know it's not totally Death Metal, but I like the whole Death Metal treatment of pop songs.

I've tried contacting them via email from their website and leaving messages on their MySpace ... but no results. Can somebody point me to the right direction so I can get their albums?

Apr 29, 2008 at 12:09 PM Post #83 of 650
Quote:

I don't listen much to pure fast brutal death metal discussed here, but Morbid Angel is my favorite death group. I like that the music is heavy and uses all speeds with a lot of sick evil sludgy mid tempo structure and then has the searing alien like guitar work of Trey Azagthoth that is just breath taking and quite unique.....like a snake it slithers out of the sonic backgound and packs a powerful venemous bite.

Debut MA Altars of Maddness has a somewhat different style then next three albums, music is consistently faster more thrashy and vocals are more a straight ahead rasp. Next three albums introduce songs with more varied slow/fast tempos and vocals are deeper slower more ominous. So I actually look at debut as transition from thrash to death, next three are more purely death and as I said above my favorite group in the genre:

-Blessed are the Sick
-Covenant
-Dominion

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #85 of 650
Quote:

I don't listen much to pure fast brutal death metal discussed here, but Morbid Angel is my favorite death metal group. I like that the music is heavy and uses all speeds with a lot of sick evil sludgy mid tempo structure and then has the searing alien like guitar work of Trey Azagthoth that is just breath taking and quite unique.....like a snake it slithers out of the sonic backgound and packs a powerful venemous bite.

The great thing about MA’s live concerts is that the faster parts get faster and the slow, become even more sludge like. I think you should be able to hear it in Entangled in Chaos.

Apr 29, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #86 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, altars of madness is their best record, second best being BATS

Altars is very good no doubt.......but I like the more diverse sound and vocals of next three Morbid Angel albums.
Dilema solved by just getting all 4 CDs
redface.gif

Diogenes
What are your top Death Metal groups?

Apr 29, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #87 of 650
What do you guys think about Portal? I liked Outre. I was just reading on Wikipedia that Portal was formed by some of the members of Cynic - who apparently are coming out with an album in 2008. Anyone here know any more about that story?

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #88 of 650
Quote:

(snip)
Diogenes
What are your top Death Metal groups?

Since I moved away from death metal sometime ago my list is small, dated and applies the term broadly:

1. Morbid Angel
2. Cynic
3. Atheist
4. Death
5. Carcass
6. Behemoth
7. Posessed
8. Nocturnus (Went the opposite direction than what I hoped for)

Apr 30, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #89 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by diogenes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I moved away from death metal sometime ago my list is small, dated and applies the term broadly:

1. Morbid Angel
2. Cynic
3. Atheist
4. Death
5. Carcass
6. Behemoth
7. Posessed
8. Nocturnus (Went the opposite direction than what I hoped for)

I really like all of those..........I think you would really like Obitiuary first 4 albums, especially first two.
Anyone who likes Morbid Angel will like Obituary also
redface.gif

EZ
Have not heard Portal, but fans of Cynic usually like Aetheist also

Apr 30, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #90 of 650
Quote:

EZ
Have not heard Portal, but fans of Cynic usually like Aetheist also

What's interesting is that Portal doesn't really sound a whole heck of a lot like Cynic or Atheist, for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back