Death Metal Discussion
Apr 25, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #46 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, COF is not "popular" they are more of a gateway band for people getting into heavier music.

You hit the nail on the head there. IMHO, they purposely cultivate this border-line heavy music (much like Metallica did with the black album) to sell more records. I hate the commercial aspect of their music. There's just no integrity there. If you think that's an elitist opinion...They catch kids right at that stage when they're looking for something different, but not quite ready for the shocker that would be Burzum or Xasthur. CoF is basically a slightly heavier version of emo-rock bands like Evanescence that are basically poseurs - excuse the French. I don't think it's being elitist to say these bands suck - it's just a matter of having better (lesser known) bands to compare them with. I used to love Dave Matthews Band, but I didn't really know there was anything else out there. I'm sure if I was still a kid these days, I'd like Chris Daughtry or Leona Lewis, too. It's just I'm not a kid anymore, and I can spot these lame acts a mile away. I don't think I'm an elitist. I'm just older and know what I really like.

Apr 25, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #47 of 650
Cradle of Filth has many very good albums from debut through Midian, after this Danni's vocal range had dimished greatly and is but a shadow of his former self. No one could go from deep gutteral to high banshee shriek vocal that could crack glass in same sentence like that......all natural no processing.

Back in golden era of 1990s there was so much great dark metal that is still being uncovered today..........todays music scence is just no comparison, unfortunately

Dimmu Bogir just OK?
Enthrone Darkness Triumphant one of the greatest dark metal albums ever made by anyone.

Carcass
All you really need here is Heartwork with Mike Amott

Apr 25, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #48 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Carcass
All you really need here is Heartwork with Mike Amott

I'm not going to completely diss Heartwork, because Carcass deserves the utmost respect. However, it definitely marked the beginning of the end for those dudes. They started as a grindcore band - picking up where Napalm Death left off. Then they transitioned into the prototypical - now archetypal - death metal band inspiring countless wannabes with Necroticism. Heartwork is more thrash then death, and the political lyrics completely turned me off to them after that. I'm pretty sure it's their most popular album, but for guys like me, it's not a highlight of the genre.

BTW, DarkAngel, your avatar is sooo perfect.

Apr 26, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #49 of 650
Hey all, I'm currently listening to the following:

Arsis - we are the nightmare
corpus mortale - a new species of deviant
origin - antithesis

As far death metal goes. I'm more into the second generation sound of death metal from the early 90's and the more modern stuff. I'm totally turned away from the whole deathcore trend. To me, I see deathcore as death metal's version of commercial rap. Not too much thought is put into their songs, other than where do we put in our obligatory breakdown in every song.

Apr 26, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #51 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm totally turned away from the whole deathcore trend. To me, I see deathcore as death metal's version of commercial rap. Not too much thought is put into their songs, other than where do we put in our obligatory breakdown in every song.

I can see where you are coming from but I wouldn't call deathcore more commercial because I don't really know any succesful deathcore bands, hence I don't really see their commercial appeal. I don't really believe that deathcore bands try to make a more commercial sound I just think that they approach it from a different angle. Its more of a generational thing than anything else. The kids making deathcore, well are just that, kids and usually come from a hardcore background. If you look at breakdown heavy deathmetal/core bands like Despised Icon, All Shall Perish, With Dead Hands Rising, Beneath the Massacre, Veil of Maya and so forth you will notice that they are all young, either in their late teens or early twenties.

And like I said, its not that they are trying to make their music more commercial, its just that they approach from a different angle. Look at Beneath the Massacre, their earlier project Observing the Falling Tree was far more hardcore, but they changed a few members and tried to make something that was more metal and became BTM. The reason most deathcore bands sound as they do is that they originally more hardcore/metalcore acts that shifted their sound towards deathmetal not because they were once a deathmetal outfit that wanted ore popular appeal, at least thats the way it went with the bands that I know of anyways.

When they start singing, then yes I'll agree on the more commercial aspect...

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #52 of 650
Quote:

Cradle of Filth has many very good albums from debut through Midian, after this Danni's vocal range had dimished greatly and is but a shadow of his former self. No one could go from deep gutteral to high banshee shriek vocal that could crack glass in same sentence like that......all natural no processing.

Don't want to beat a dead horse but lets give COF thier due, especially Danni Filth who in his 1990's prime was the most skilled dark metal vocalist I have ever heard......no one even close actually.

His vocal range was just staggering from deep gutteral to the highest pitch banshee wail you can imagine and he could effortlessly change range in an instant......check a song like "sodomy and lust" the high notes can almost crack glass. Also he can skillfully vary his rasp from heavy to almost spoken word, and finally dramatic changes in speed of vocal delivery used during each song for artistic effect.......using all these techniques together in one song is just thrilling vocal delivery of the highest order

I am throwing down the gauntlet and challenge anyone to name dark metal vocalist with better technique and delivery.......seriously

Dark Metal elite like to trash COF because of Danni's flambouyant style and symphonic music elements with heavy keyboards and special effects which is a no no for the troo nekro kvlt elite who worship at the altar of early Darkthrone etc.

Apr 26, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #53 of 650
I'm listening to Decapitated-Winds of Creation, such a good album.

Ok, CoF is not good, its trendy, boring, gothic metal. Some old albums were good, maybe one or two, but the rest are a complete bore. Dimmu Borgir's first two albums were decent, but again, later stuff is boring.

Now, I just received this album in the mail, and it is the best black metal I have ever heard. It is Negura Bunget-Om, I suggest everyone dl it, buy it, do whatever to hear it.

Also, are there any thrashers here? I love old school thrash, and I think the revival of thrash is excellent.

Apr 26, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #54 of 650
Sorry to break up this COF fight, who IMO are still a good band, just not as good as they were, but you cant say that they suck. With age comes different ideas.

But @ Maza, if you gonna give carcass another try, listen to wake up and smell the carcass and swansong.

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #55 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, are there any thrashers here? I love old school thrash, and I think the revival of thrash is excellent.

Hells yeah! 3IOB and Saviours are two of my favorite recent metal bands.

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #56 of 650
Quote:

I am throwing down the gauntlet and challenge anyone to name dark metal vocalist with better technique and delivery.......seriously

1) I can't take you seriously, because you keep talking about dark metal. Does anyone else know what that is? 2) I don't like black metal for the "technique and delivery" of the vocalist. Seriously.

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #57 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hells yeah! 3IOB and Saviours are two of my favorite recent metal bands.

Warbringer, Toxic Holocaust, Cryonics, Meltdown, Bonded By Blood, Vektor, Avenger Of Blood are all leading the revival, most in the Los Angeles scene. Old school, fast, heavy, loud, what thrash should be.

Also, dark metal is a term, not a real genre, kind of like viking metal. Dark metal is stuff like agalloch, not CoF though.

Apr 26, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #58 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanNo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see where you are coming from but I wouldn't call deathcore more commercial because I don't really know any succesful deathcore bands, hence I don't really see their commercial appeal. I don't really believe that deathcore bands try to make a more commercial sound I just think that they approach it from a different angle. Its more of a generational thing than anything else. The kids making deathcore, well are just that, kids and usually come from a hardcore background. If you look at breakdown heavy deathmetal/core bands like Despised Icon, All Shall Perish, With Dead Hands Rising, Beneath the Massacre, Veil of Maya and so forth you will notice that they are all young, either in their late teens or early twenties.

And like I said, its not that they are trying to make their music more commercial, its just that they approach from a different angle. Look at Beneath the Massacre, their earlier project Observing the Falling Tree was far more hardcore, but they changed a few members and tried to make something that was more metal and became BTM. The reason most deathcore bands sound as they do is that they originally more hardcore/metalcore acts that shifted their sound towards deathmetal not because they were once a deathmetal outfit that wanted ore popular appeal, at least thats the way it went with the bands that I know of anyways.

When they start singing, then yes I'll agree on the more commercial aspect...

I totally understand that aspect of deathcore. I should of elaborated a bit more on the whole commercial rap comment. What I mean is that rap/hiphop has more to it then what garbage they hear on the radio. I just dont see anything interesting going on in deathcore. Just some "kids" I suppose looking to outdo each other on breakdowns and throw in some death growls to call it a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back