Death Metal Discussion
Apr 24, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #16 of 650
Well I would have never really considered myself to be a deathmetal fan, but if beneath the massacre is deathmetal well then I guess than I am guilty as charged. I listen to more Deathcore than deathmetal, particularly bands like All Shall Perish, Despised Icon and more recently Eternal Lord. Regardless of such I find that my DT 770's suit them fine coming out of my corda headsix, definitely an audio assault!

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #17 of 650
While on the subject, what specifically defines Deathmetal because I believe that it is one of those sub-genres that gets mislabelled a lot? I listen to a lot of various types of metal and I don't particullarly favour one form over the other, I mainly just care about what gets my heart pumping or not. So what makes a band have a deathmetal sound? Would Origin be considered deathmetal? Cause I love their new album. What bands would you consider to be the essential deathmetal bands? Mind you, I will probably only recognise bands off of Relapse or Willowtip records.

Later.

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #18 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im currently listening to Beneath the Massacre's Mechanics of Dysfunction album, and I can safely say the musicianship and production of this album are absolutely unmatched throughout the entire genre of death metal. Its a MUST listen. Lightning fast double bass, but not a bit of mud or blur to the bass, just clear kick drums, and sweeping arpeggios on guitar, but always self-harmonized and very well articulated. This album is a must for death metal fans.

i never hear of the band before but will definitely check it out soon! to me.. ARSIS and Spawn of Posession have one of the best production in any tech death band i have heard so far.. anyone should also check their albums..

and other notable DM artists that i listened to includes Decapitated, Necrophagist, Death and Severe torture...

sometimes i wonder why certain bands such as impaled and corpus mortale purposely make their album sounding "muddy" instead of going for the best sonic clarity.. i guess for all death metal especially the more complex technical side of it should go with cleanest production as possible so that all the instruments can be heard nice and clearly..

some people might say it's for the ambience, atmosphere etc... but when such things goes too far.. they impair the quality of the music itself... would like to hear from you all about that!
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #19 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Senn 650/Zu Mobius for dark metal........AKG K701 is too sharp and detailed, a bit unforgiving for this distortion rich genre.
K701 much better suited for classical........

There are more than a few dark metal disciples here at Head-Fi as Darkest Desires thread has been going for many years now.

yeah.. i tried my friends HD650 (coming from chaintech av710 - ibasso d2 - darkvoice amp) and played a couple of ARSIS and Spawn of Posession tracks..

they sounded great!

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #20 of 650
Well I just checked Arsis and wow, awesome. The only thing that saddens me is that I was suppose to go to the New England Metal and Hardcore festival this weekend and Arsis is playing there on the 26th and now I won't be going!!!

There was a delay in my friend getting his passport now we can't cross, God Damn the new boarder rules!!!

I didn't know that Arsis was on Willowtip records, but I could see them fitting in with that label. I used to listen to a lot of stuff from that label like (fate of) Icarus, Crowpath and Circle of Dead Children, but I haven't checked them out in a while.

Arsis does want me to get out my Nile cd's and give them a listening to, good stuff!

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #22 of 650
ahhh technical death metal....one of my fav subjects...

Ive been listening to

Illogicist
Textures
Martyr
Spawn of Possession
Coprofago

all through Equations Rp-21's sound great and drums are punchy as hell

Apr 24, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #24 of 650
Anata has always been bit meh for me. Decent band, but didnt get into them. However, their Entropy Within song is really great! Everything clicks in in that song.

Quote:

While on the subject, what specifically defines Deathmetal because I believe that it is one of those sub-genres that gets mislabelled a lot? I listen to a lot of various types of metal and I don't particullarly favour one form over the other, I mainly just care about what gets my heart pumping or not. So what makes a band have a deathmetal sound? Would Origin be considered deathmetal? Cause I love their new album. What bands would you consider to be the essential deathmetal bands? Mind you, I will probably only recognise bands off of Relapse or Willowtip records.

Later.

Yes, Origin is death metal. One branch of it as death metal varies quite a lot (compare Death and Morbid Angel to Origin and Hate Eternal). It is interesting question, and Im unable to put it in words what truly defines music as death metal. There are different forms of deathmetal, yet they all have a certain sound and something in the spirit that easily identifies a band as deathmetal for me, instead of deathcore, grindcore/goregrind etc... And Im not talking about breakdowns common in -core type of music. Of course, they can vary musically a lot especially older deathmetal vs. newer DM inspired sidekicks, but there are a lot of bands that push the lines and experiment, and absolute genre defining becomes more and more difficult.

Have you seen document Metal: Headbanger's Journey?

Apr 24, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #25 of 650
Woefully I have not seen Metal a headbangers journey. My friend owns it and most of my friends have seen and love it, I am the exception amongst the gang.

I must admit that with all of the sub-genres and boundary defining bands out there it is getting harder and harder to identify what "category" a band fits into these days. I usually just rely on what the band define themselves as...

thanks for the info though.

Apr 24, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #27 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by DylanNo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Woefully I have not seen Metal a headbangers journey. My friend owns it and most of my friends have seen and love it, I am the exception amongst the gang.

I must admit that with all of the sub-genres and boundary defining bands out there it is getting harder and harder to identify what "category" a band fits into these days. I usually just rely on what the band define themselves as...

thanks for the info though.

You would do well if you would loan it from your friend and watch it. That is a good doc. Though there are stuff that I do not agree on, couple of glaring whoopsie mistakes, AND they spend unnecessarily too much time on Glam Rock part (eeewww) when they study the history of metal, but still its a good thing to watch and highly recommended.

Apr 25, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #29 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is Entombed a good benchmark for death metal? I have never been confident about genres.

mm.. entombed is not bad.. but if u wanna see what death metal is truly all about... make sure u check suffocation, death, cryptopsy, and cannibal corpse...

they're some of the so called "pioneers".. and.. for newer and more "technical" and experimental crossgenre song.. u might try decapitated, spawn of possession, hate, and or course.. ARSIS !!

Apr 25, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #30 of 650
As far as gear goes(getting back to the original post), I'm in the hunt for a new pair of IEMs to use mainly for public transportation. So I was wondering what you guys use and what can you recommend? I am currently trying to decide between UE super.fi.5s and FS atrio m5's, any thoughts on the matter?

By the way my main set of cans are Beyer DT770s and I love the aural assault feel of them (and no I don't expect the same bass response from an IEM)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back