Dear Sony, SanDisk, Cowon et al
Dec 14, 2008 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Robisan

100+ Head-Fier
Dear Sony, SanDisk, Cowon et al:

Please build a high quality, robust feature DAP around the 64gb flash memory now currently available at net retail prices now around $100 and at wholesale prices even lower. There is no longer any reasonable excuse for delay. Your market wants it. Please do it now.

Love,

Robisan

P.S. With 32gb flash retailing at around $50 (wholesale even lower) why aren't 32gb DAPs available right now from all makers?

/rant

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 22
Maybe the Sony touch player will have a 64gb option available at or near release.

Dec 14, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the Sony touch player will have a 64gb option available at or near release.

That would be great but Sony is always one year behind Apple, creative, sandisk etc; f.i. this years, lots of 32 GB players, so Sony releases their first 16 GBDAPs. And it has been like that for the the last five years, they claim their marketing research shows that people do not need bigger memory players, yet they still double it each year, so I think it is the beancounters.

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in a bit you can just bust out a ipod mini and replace it with a 64gb cf card lol.

iPod Mini has some pretty gnarly bass rolloff.

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robisan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Sony, SanDisk, Cowon et al:

Please build a high quality, robust feature DAP around the 64gb flash memory now currently available at net retail prices now around $100 and at wholesale prices even lower. There is no longer any reasonable excuse for delay. Your market wants it. Please do it now.

Love,

Robisan

P.S. With 32gb flash retailing at around $50 (wholesale even lower) why aren't 32gb DAPs available right now from all makers?

/rant

1. 64 GB flash drives cost over $100, so a 64GB dap for $100 is not achievable.

2. flash storage is not the same as dap. Flash storage prices going down yes means that dap prices will go down, but not at the same level. After all a dap is a dap, not flash storage although it can in many cases act as one.

3. Release of daps will often lag the release of storage; otherwise, you will actually see higher prices on daps and nobody will appreciate that.

Dec 14, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 22
+1

A 64GB flash memory based DAP would be nice.

Dec 14, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

2. flash storage is not the same as dap. Flash storage prices going down yes means that dap prices will go down, but not at the same level. After all a dap is a dap, not flash storage although it can in many cases act as one.

So why are there lots of players like the D2 that accept flash cards as memory-extensions?

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So why are there lots of players like the D2 that accept flash cards as memory-extensions?

precisely my point, so that consumers can expand at their convenience.

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
meh, screw flash i want hard drive based and i want bigger than 120 or 160 gig

I'm all for bigger hard drives, as well - waiting to see how (or IF) the 240GB MK2431GAH is implemented.

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #14 of 22
All I want: 100GB flash-based, expandable with SD, digital audio out, support for FLAC, flat output with decent EQ options, high S/N, low distortion. Is that really asking so much?

I don't want to watch DVDs or other video. I don't want relational databases, spreadsheets, games, or other crap. Just a music player with a big enough screen to see what's playing.

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. 64 GB flash drives cost over $100, so a 64GB dap for $100 is not achievable.

That's not what I said. I simply suggested that with wholesale prices for 64gb flash below $100 there's no reason why a DAP couldn't be built around it to retail at a price people would pay -- say $299, $349 or maybe even $399. I mean, within the past year people were "happily" paying $319/$299 for the Sony 16gb DAPs.

More generally, it's just frustrating that when wholesale prices for 32gb flash memory must be around +/-$30 (and $64gb maybe +/-$75?) most DAP product lines top out at 16gb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back