Dear God, what have I wrought?
Apr 15, 2002 at 7:40 PM Post #16 of 42
High praise indeed! My problem is that I am like this without the substance abuse...

Audio powered rocket launcher sounds like a rail gun to me. Most of the launchers that I have tried have been driven by conventional propellants or air pressure. Catapult (steam and or tension) and rail gun are still on the list without a check mark beside them. Come on over!

gerG

Apr 16, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #17 of 42
I can relate...if I listen to my sub at stupid levels, ash falls out of the chimney above the stove...but what you have done is a whole new level of insane.

Oh, and BTW, subwoofers CAN damage the structural integrity of a car.

Apr 16, 2002 at 3:20 AM Post #18 of 42
Hmmm...
Maybe I can start a business testing the structural integrity of, oh I don't know, parking garages maybe?

Honest, I don't listen to this thing all that loud. I am the guy who always had cotton stuffed in his ears at concerts. I also got ove rsubwoofer zeal many years ago. This is different. It seems to be a whole new level of very deep information. Most subs start rolling off below 40 hz. Not these pigs.

Hey ponzio, here's what happens when you put ideas in my head:

Rockets are old news. Let's try a different projectile. Something cheap, plentiful, aerodynamic, and stable in flight. My first thought was Kenny G CDs. Everybody has one of those to get rid of, right? C'mon, admit it.

Another option (but not as fun to shatter) are blank CDs. I figure if we launch it at 500 fps we can get decent accuracy at 100 yds. Scarey huh? Think we can get one to cut through a cinder block?

This is fun! I'd better get busy...

gerG

Apr 16, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #19 of 42
"Think we can get one to cut through a cinder block?"

Ah, sounds like so much fun.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #20 of 42
I think the hunter s. thompson award is definately in order! Audio Savageness at new levels!

On a rail-gun related note, i've been wanting to build a railgun that would mount on a big truck, and have the ability to shoot blocks of ice. That way you could just hammer a car with it, totally collapsing it, and then the ice would melt away, leaving no projectile. Imagine waking up to find your car smashed, as if by a mighty meteor, but with no sign of a projectile. Kenny G CDS don't sound like a bad idea either. They are even enough in shape that you could probably get one slinging pretty fast.

We are still waiting for pictures of these subs, you realize
smily_headphones1.gif
Screw aesthetics, we want to see them!

What do you guys think about ultra low frequency subs? Things that could pulse a room at 115dB@5hz? I hear the military was working on things like that for crowd control, because the ultra low frequencies can cause things like intense nausea, dizzyness, and unrestrained bowel movements. Imagine the 1812 overture, but with you writhing on the floor at each cannon blast. wild, huh?

peace,
phidauex

Apr 16, 2002 at 4:44 AM Post #21 of 42
On the aerodynamic of CD's -- not good. I've tried them (but only by hand, you might perhaps fare better if you gave them enough mechanically induced velocity and/or angular velocity -- especially the latter). Tried to take them pseudo-skeet-shooting once, it was a miserable failure, I was wailing the gun just a little too wildly, so I didn't pull the trigger. Need to work on my response time on moving targets. Asked a volunteer to throw them up by hand (didn't really like him much anyway, he sorta invited hisself along). He refused.
frown.gif

Also, I wanted to quote the following sentence out of context: Quote:

Originally posted by phidauex
Kenny G CDS don't sound like a bad idea either.

YES THEY DO.

Apr 16, 2002 at 2:13 PM Post #22 of 42
LOL! You should be a politician, Dusty Chalk
biggrin.gif

Btw, i think the aerodynamics would improve if they were spinning, so that they would have some gyroscopic stability.

peace,
phidauex

Apr 16, 2002 at 3:29 PM Post #23 of 42
Oh absolutely, spin is critical. I have a scheme in mind that will let me tune both spin rate and launch velocity. I am anticipating a curved trajectory due to the circulation effect. I also want to launch one oriented vertically and watch it go bouncing across the desert. I am saving a special CD for that one! Now all I have to do is find time to work on this toy. It is pretty dangerous, so that moves it up the priority list.

I will try for pictures of the Shoguns this weekend. My internet provider gave me a generous
rolleyes.gif
10 meg of space for my homepage. That isn't even 10 photos. Of course, if I take a shot with the volume cranked up, resolution won't matter.

Anybody got a vibrating smiley?

What comes after "extreme audio"?

gerG

Apr 16, 2002 at 3:42 PM Post #24 of 42
phideaux, the military stuff that I have seen is designed for running at a specific frequency. Tunable, but no modulation capability. It works by periodically interupting an airflow. This can cause some huge pressure pulses. I seem to recall that 1 psi amplitude corresponds to 140 db spl. Anybody remember the equation for that? I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

Of course, that was old technology. Who knows what sort of microwave driven mayhem inducer they have now.

On a related note, anybody remember when they were developing the SRBs for the space shuttle, and they discovered that the standing wave frequency of the boosters were tuned to "the brown note"? Well, not really, but they were at a tissue resonant frequency, and the astronauts were temporarily blind when the things lit off. Eyeball resonance, whoda thunk?

gerG

Jul 13, 2003 at 3:45 AM Post #27 of 42
What a great thread! I was bored, just clicking around aimlessly just now! Hah!
eek.gif

Jul 13, 2003 at 7:10 PM Post #28 of 42
Oops, I forgot...

Pictures:

Basic%20layout.jpg

Innards.jpg

Woofer%20front.jpg

Woofer%20back.jpg

Outdoor1.jpg

Outdoor2.jpg

Outdoor%203.jpg

Dimensions are roughly 4' x 2' x 18".

They have to go back outdoors until I get a reinforced room built. I have settling cracks all over the place now.

gerG

Jul 13, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #29 of 42
Additional info:

The subs are a bandpass design. The first photo shows the sealed chamber and the tuned chamber, as well as the large tuning port that runs past the sealed chamber. Swapping the chambers from the conventional layout allows me to use a large cross section duct, and eliminate aerodynamic noise.

The second photo shows the assembled cabinet prior to mounting the woofer and bolting on the back plate.

The woofers are beauties, and I wish that I had a few more of them. I built one into my Ford Cobra, and it is incredible!

The other shots are of my wall-less music room/research lab. I am not kidding when I say that I can't stand boundary reflections.

Point of note: I should be spending my time getting the deck and house painted, but my priorities always seem to tilt toward audio obsession.

Oh, the CD launcher is on hold. I have a design, but I need more room to test it. I will get back to it some day.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back