DEALING IN DOCUMENTARIES
Oct 3, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #16 of 39
Oct 3, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #17 of 39
I enjoyed it.  It's about the guy who was the armwrestling champion of the world for over 25 years and follows two up and comers who are hoping to beat him.

Oct 3, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #18 of 39
  I enjoyed it.  It's about the guy who was the armwrestling champion of the world for over 25 years and follows two up and comers who are hoping to beat him.

lol, will have to check it out

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #19 of 39
Yea lol. I'm finding the arm wrestling documentary to be one of the funniest I've seen. I'm not dissing the sport, its serious, with a long world history, and I was reminded that I used to see matches on wide world of sports "back in the day". There's just a tone about the doc that makes me laugh. That bit about him taking and keeping a job at delta airlines so he gets free air fare to arm wrestling tournaments is priceless. But this one has a lot of moments that just crack me up, and there's some drama too...good doc, thanks for the suggestion.

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #21 of 39
  Jiro Dreams of Sushi is my personal favourite documentary - some great cinematography and the back story is surprisingly sad.

Yea it is brilliant, loved it. 

Oct 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #22 of 39
I think "Jiro dreams of sushi" should be shown to every high school and/or college student as an example of true commitment to excellence. We need more documentaries like this that show the true capabilities of the human spirit. Instead we get cr@p from people with huge political agendas.

Oct 6, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #23 of 39
^ Very enjoyable indeed.

Here's one I'm posting with strong and mixed feelings. ''Our Daily Bread''. I actually find it horrendous and would not watch it again. Essential? Maybe. It made me not eat meat for a whole two weeks :D
Decide for yourself. Read up on the YT comments for an idea.

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #24 of 39
  ^ Very enjoyable indeed.

Here's one I'm posting with strong and mixed feelings. ''Our Daily Bread''. I actually find it horrendous and would not watch it again. Essential? Maybe. It made me not eat meat for a whole two weeks :D

next on my list - thanks for posting.

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #25 of 39
^ Very enjoyable indeed.

Chocolate milk doesn't come from chocolate cows.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #26 of 39
Oct 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #27 of 39
It's the mass production and industrial environment and the conditions that make it repulsive. Shooting and eating an animal in the wild or shooting a bird from the sky to eat seems more humane (unless you're a vegan of course).

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #28 of 39
I think that to have our food sources any other way would require the elimination of a couple of billion humans. We can't have it both ways - it simply isn't possible to have unlimited population and all "natural" food sources. Personally, I think that documentary goes out of its way to be stark & dramatic. Anyone that has actually butchered an animal by hand will tell you that it is a hard and bloody job. It doesn't matter whether you stalked and killed a wild boar with a bow & arrow or herded a 1000 commercial hogs into a kill chute - in both cases the result is the same: A dead hog being hung by its legs, gutted and then cut into pork chops and bacon. Humans have been doing it for hundreds of thousands of years. Far too many people are completely disconnected from the source of their food, and that leads to uninformed opinions about the evils of the food industry.

Is this a better system of food production?

Oct 9, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #29 of 39
Currently in the process watching Werner Herzog's documentaries/interviews/conversations with death row inmates (Into the Abyss and On Death Row). I find it strangely fascinating. 

Quote:
  Jiro Dreams of Sushi is my personal favourite documentary - some great cinematography and the back story is surprisingly sad.

Also liked the doco. Pretty expensive to eat there!

Oct 9, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #30 of 39
@billybob,

Daily Bread is heavily dramatized. If I remember correctly mentioned in the very first end-credits. It's cold, clinical, one-sided and that's what makes the impact. The things that struck me most is the efficiency and mass of ''processing''. The way that's portrait is with total disregard for an animal plus -in my mind-, the idea of man/machine over animal. That just grabs me by the throat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back