DEALING IN DOCUMENTARIES
Jul 23, 2013 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

magiccabbage

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone seen any good doc's lately? If so post up here. I will start with this one -

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 39
I recently watched this:

Blockade 

"Told without voiceover, explanatory subtitles or any other contextualizing material, Russian docu 'Blockade' looks unlikely to show up on the History Channel as it stands now. Nevertheless, this absorbing account of the 900-day siege of Leningrad (now St. Petersburg) during WWII, told entirely through re-edited archive footage with freshly made sound, reps poignant viewing as it focuses on the daily lives of the city's inhabitants. Pic by experienced helmer Sergei Loznitsa should soon besiege fests and upmarket cablers. Culled from newsreel material, pic's visuals are grouped thematically to show different aspects of the Leningrad Blockade. Shots of burning and later devastated buildings are backed by a soundtrack of sirens and raging flames. Sounds of soft weeping are matched to imagery of mass graves, which still have power to shock. Later on, dead, shrouded bodies are seen littering the streets, but most of the pedestrians, by this point so inured to the sight, simply walk past. Match between sound and image is concise but not too literal, and editing builds the pace well toward its climax, when the city is finally liberated and the war ends."

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #3 of 39
One of the best doc's i have ever seen!

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #4 of 39
Watched The King of Kong yesterday, strange premise for a documentary but it was so well done, a strange watch but a very worthwhile one.

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #5 of 39
Quote:
Watched The King of Kong yesterday, strange premise for a documentary but it was so well done, a strange watch but a very worthwhile one.

Yes I have also seen that, it is very good. Here is another one. 

Oct 2, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #7 of 39
  ^ Still Bill is a very cool docu.

This one about Michael Jackson was on television a couple of days ago. Enjoyed it a lot.

cool will have to give that a look

Oct 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #8 of 39
Keanu Reeves "Side by Side" examines film versus digital Cameras in the art of film making. It comes on PBS or as a free stream on Netflix.....Interesting. I still prefer film, but all but the most staunch supporters of it will be using digital from now on for their flexibility, economy, and environmental advantages.
The differences are diminishing, it used to be I could spot a digitally shot movie very easily, I can still tell, but digital movies are better now. The cameras have advanced and I suspect operators are also getting better at using them. Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFGJY_NJwwg

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #9 of 39
One i watched the other day - very good. 

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 39
Thanks for the "Deep Water" suggestion. Watched the whole thing on utube- very well done doc. I vaguely remember something mentioned about this years ago but really did'nt know much about the story. In some ways the story reminds me of Chris McCandless. Man against nature (but in each case the man was a novice in such endeavors).

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #11 of 39
  watched the whole thing on utube- very well done doc. I very vaguely remember something mentioned about this years ago but really did'nt know much about the story at all. In some ways it is similar to the stories of Chris McCandless, and Timothy Treadwell.

Are you talking about "The Gatekeepers" ?

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #12 of 39
  Keanu Reeves "Side by Side" examines film versus digital Cameras in the art of film making. It comes on PBS or as a free stream on Netflix.....Interesting. I still prefer film, but all but the most staunch supporters of it will be using digital from now on for their flexibility, economy, and environmental advantages.
The differences are diminishing, it used to be I could spot a digitally shot movie very easily, I can still tell, but digital movies are better now. The cameras have advanced and I suspect operators are also getting better at using them. Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFGJY_NJwwg

I watched that a while back , was enjoyable

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #14 of 39

Users who are viewing this thread

Back