DEAL OVER: Brand new AKG K-601 for $89 at HeadRoom
Nov 28, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #16 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooops, my mistake... $89.95.

Oh man that extra .95 just breaks the deal for me --- not.
ksc75smile.gif

Truly an awesome deal. Anyone who wants a very good pair of headphones and misses this is crazy. If you were lucky enough to get the Beyerdynamic DT770s for about $100 from Amazon a while back and now this deal on the AKG K601s would mean you have two wonderful headphnes, open and closd backed, for under two bills. Where else are you going to find deals like that I ask you? Jump or you'll regret it.

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #18 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard these aren't all that great. If it's one thing I learned from headfi, it's that you don't buy things you don't really want on impulse no matter the price. Chances are the value will drop and you end up with exactly what you bought, nothing more.

Then you heard wrong! The K601s are a very, very good headphone. Warmer, not as detailed and neutral as the K701s but good nontheless. I own (and like) both. I paid quite a bit more than $90 for mine and they're worth every penny. At $90 they are one of the all time steals.

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #19 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would normally agree with you, but there are times when it's fun (and I believe still within the bounds of wisdom and common sense) to jump on a deal while it's hot, because it won't always be there.

-If these are a good deal, and I end up liking them, and AKG will continue to sell them, then I've just landed myself a pair of enjoyable headphones for far less than their regular price.

-If these are a good deal, and I end up not liking them, and AKG will continue to sell them, then I will have no problem turning them around in the For Sale forum for the same good deal that I bought them for.

-If these are a good deal, and I end up not liking them, and AKG has discontinued them, then I can understand why the price dropped so drastically, and I will still have no problem selling them for the same price I paid, because this price won't last long.

-If these aren't a good deal... well... less than $90, shipped, for a pair of headphones which has a list price over $400?? It's a good deal, no matter how you look at it.

If I didn't jump on deals like this every once in awhile, I never would have bought the Octavart THE ONE amp from Head-Direct for 50% off its regular price, and I never would have gotten so much enjoyment out of it. It turned out that it ended up not working well with my system that I built later down the road, so I sold it for the same price that I had got it for. I wasn't out any money, and I passed the savings on to someone else who is now enjoying the amp!

Excellent reasoning, though I don't think you'll be all that disappointed.

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #21 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean you actually demo'ed the headphone or you've read comments on it?

I've done my research and to my conclusion these aren't something that you would easily resell on ebay, fs forum, etc. I haven't heard these myself. k501/sextett seems to be the much preferred choice. Just saying...if you don't like them, it might be a hassle to get rid of them.

List price doesn't mean anything to me. If that was the case, I pretty much saved >$400 on my k702+zu.

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #22 of 88
Quote:

I've done my research and to my conclusion these aren't something that you would easily resell on ebay, fs forum, etc. I haven't heard these myself. k501/sextett seems to be the much preferred choice. Just saying...if you don't like them, it might be a hassle to get rid of them.

List price doesn't mean anything to me. If that was the case, I pretty much saved >$400 on my k702+zu.

Okay, well street price, then: for those who choose to take the leap, this is still about 65% off. I think it's a good deal. And if I end up not liking them, then I will sell them for the same good deal, which is still a good deal, and will be a good deal for somebody else who recognizes it as a good deal.

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #24 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by SundayDuffer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just looking at this...it is worth $89...hahahahaha.

k601.jpg

I ordered some earlier today, i am very excited and they look very nice.

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #26 of 88
Well, I didn't say it wasn't a good deal.
wink.gif

It's just you're taking more of a gamble (not with your money, with your time). You either like them or you don't. You could sell these again although I think the last one sold for $89 on the fs forum and that was in 2006.

Deals come and go. If you jump at one, then you might not be able to take the next one, one you may personally like and want. don't...do it....you must resist
ph34r.gif
ph34r.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #27 of 88
Quote:

Don't worry,
Refunds - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #28 of 88
Quote:

Well, I didn't say it wasn't a good deal.
wink.gif

It's just you're taking more of a gamble (not with your money, with your time). You either like them or you don't. You could sell these again although I think the last one sold for $89 on the fs forum and that was in 2006.

Deals come and go. If you jump at one, then you might not be able to take the next one, one you may personally like and want. don't...do it....you must resist
ph34r.gif
ph34r.gif

Good points, especially that last one.

Although, from what I read, I think these might actually be more up my alley than other phones. I'll compare them to the HD-600s when they come in, and I'll see which I like more. If they're different enough, but both really good, I'll just keep both.

I'm surprised, though. From all the reading I had done on them (way before this deal came up), they had left a very positive impression in my memory, actually. Maybe we're just reading different reviews!
beerchug.gif

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #29 of 88
Thanks to Tiemen's post in another thread I jumped on this earlier today. I borrowed a pair for a month this summer and had a hard time returning them. A good all around can that has a very organic and honest sound. I'm looking forward to having a pair again!

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #30 of 88
I ordered one just right now. Damn you head-fi, I just couldn't pass these up as I've been looking to get some AKG's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back