Deal for xmas - Beta Brainwavz $24.50
Dec 7, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #16 of 32
I have them burning in and so far they sound good. Let see if the sound improves after a good burn-in.
smily_headphones1.gif

I got them in 4 days flat from Hong Kong !
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #17 of 32
I've also got them burning in right now. I did NOT like them at all right out of the box, but after about 30 hours of burnin, I was surprised at the improvement.

I'll probably add a review on this thread when they finish burning. I really like the build quality of these. I wish my Re0's would have borrowed some of the build features of these iem's.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by brendon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have them burning in and so far they sound good. Let see if the sound improves after a good burn-in.
smily_headphones1.gif

I got them in 4 days flat from Hong Kong !
smily_headphones1.gif

How do they compare to the Hippo VBs and the woodies? i'm thinking of getting the VBs soonish, i already have the betas.

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #19 of 32
Well the Betas are burning in and have only 15 hours on them so its not right to make a decisive comment so take what I say with lots and lots of salt.

After 15 hours the Betas are not upto the VBs yet. The VBs are a lot more refined than the Betas in almost every way - Bass goes far more deep on the VBs, mid range is more smooth (the Betas seem to have a very 'spiky' midrange which makes badly encoded music sound terrible) and the VBs treble extends much higher. Also while they are not very detailed earphones, the VBs have a much higher resolving power as of now after 15 hours of burn-in.

I would say get the VBs or the Woodies as they are definitely a step up as I doubt there will be a much greater improvement with burn-in.

Of the VBs and Woodie 2s I prefer the Woodie 2 sound (Woodies cost $9 more) but the Woodie 2 does not have a very good build quality and need much better care to make them last long.

But I will reiterate again the Betas need many more hours of burn-in and so dont take this as conclusive proof that the VBs are much much better earphones.

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They've been at that price for at least a month. I keep meaning to pull the trigger but I need another IEM like I need a third foot. Resisting them for now...

ME TOO.

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ME TOO.

Do it. You know you want to. If you don't like 'em, you've got an extra Christmas present for somebody.
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 3:52 PM Post #22 of 32
Those who are burning in, you will need to do 100+ hours to really start getting the Betas to sound good and then even more to bring out the bass. These are certainly a pair of earphones that take time to reach their optimal sound quality.

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #23 of 32
I just got my Betas last week - and wanted to do a review after 50 hours of burnin. Perhaps they'll continue to improve with more playing time, but I expect that improvement to be marginal. Bear with me as this will be my first full review on head-fi.

Build Quality - I'm really impressed with these. I have $60 plus earphones that I wish would borrow some of the build quality features these have. Most importantly the metal sound channel that holds the tips - with certain tight fits on other earphones, I've been concerned about breaking that nozzle - but not on the Betas. One thing that no one's commented about (that I've noticed) is the fact that even if you don't use the metal filter at the end - there's a second filter lower on the stem that protects the drivers. Too many earphones don't even have one metal filter - some leave the driver altogether exposed (meelectronics ai-m9) or filtered with paper (head direct RE0). Granted, this would only be an issue with excessive use and earwax problems - but still, it makes me more comfortable to have a metal screen regardless. The one knock I have is the somewhat cheap cable - instead of the common one piece "round cable" with a piece of plastic or metal to hold the V - these use the two strand flat cable that you have to split to reach each ear. That said - worn over the ear - I sensed no microphonics.

Sound Signature - It's definitely dominant in the "highs" - they were even a little shrill, so I recommend using the optional filter and/or some foam in the stem. I actually prefers mids and highs to bass - but I found the highs so shrill as to be fatiguing without the filter. I found the mids a little recessed to be honest. Voices didn't come through well and got a little lost in the instruments I'm afraid. Bass was actually pretty decent - there's a good amount of it, though it's not as tight/accurate as some other phones. Bassheads might not be happy with the Betas out of the box - but I think everyone else might be.

Sound Stage - I found the sound stage to be average - which was nice, because I thought the deep sound tube might be inserted too deep to provide an adequate spacing. No complaints.

Detail & Instrument Separation - These are not the most detailed IEM's I've heard, but they're solid for the price range. That said, I found that in certain fast tracks, rock and metal, the background music could devolve into noise as the driver couldn't resolve all the separate instruments. You really have to be focusing on it, however.

Burnin - These are the 2nd iem's that I saw huge improvement with after burnin, the others being the value priced Lenntek Sonix. I hated the sound out of the box - they sounded veiled to me. After 50 hours, the veil tore, the highs had tamed down, and the bass started coming out.

Hiss - I've made a pest of myself over the Soundmagic PL30's (which I didn't like) so some might be happy to know that the Betas don't hiss anywhere near as much. With my more expensive amp - I picked up a slight hiss at high volumes (without a source) but it was barely detectable when looked for. I don't think anyone should have an issue with these. They have a high sensitivity, but the standard impedance (16 ohm).

Overall Value - I think these are solid for the price range. They may not be my favorite sub $30 phone for sound quality (meelectronics ai-m9, m6) but these seem to trump those for build quality, accessories and packaging. I'd be more comfortable giving these away than the other options. I think these make a great gift. I'll be happily giving these to my sister for Christmas.

One more note - in the first minute after burnin, these sounded so good to me that I was wondering if I wasted my money on $80 Re0's. But within a few minutes I was picking up the differences and shortfalls. So someone wearing basic iphone buds and no experience with better earphones, should be very happy with these.

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #24 of 32
For the record, I will never... EVER... order anything from Mp4Nation again.

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #25 of 32
^^ Please let us know the issue so we can all be aware about them?

I have ordered a PL-30 + FiiO E3 from them in the past. I had received some extra accessories with the PL-30 but no E3.
frown.gif

So I mailed them about it and withing a few hours I received a reply stating that the extra accessories were sent because there was no stock of E3. They offered me a credit for the value of a FiiO and so I bought a E3 from their store using the credit. They always replied to my mails very quickly and I was pretty happy with the way they solved my issue.

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #26 of 32
Pretty sure TopPop is referring to the 2 months or so it took him to get his PL50s after ordering. There was a thread on it in the Lounge. I had a similar experience when I ordered the Soundmagic P10s - after several weeks of pulling my nose about shipping them soon, mp4nation finally admitted that the 'guaranteed in-stock' item was actually OOS. Anyway, took just over 60 days for me to get my order.

I'm currently going through a similar debacle with DealExtreme except with them it's been almost 6 months (!!!) and they're still making excuses... when they respond.

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #27 of 32
Wow ! Six months is ridiculous ! My PL-12s from focalprice also took 50 days to arrive. But that was largely due to the customs office that took their own sweet time to clear the shipment.

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by pxl1500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think my girlfriend would agree with you, as her third leg seems almost always permanently lodged up my backside

o2smile.gif

Does anyone else see anything wrong with this?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by crapback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone else see anything wrong with this?
smily_headphones1.gif

I scratched my head for a bit but was tactful enough not to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back