Deal Alert : Panasonic RP-HJE900-K $ 74,99 @ jr.com
Sep 7, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #16 of 56

Quote:
Wow this is very tempting.

I've long had these on my list of IEM's that I might get around to trying someday (I have about a dozen
biggrin.gif
on that list), but I just don't want to spend over $80 on any IEM, much less $100 as they usually go for.

BUT....might as well spend $90 than $40-$70 and get something really more hi-fi than others not much less.

Right? I should do it, right?
biggrin.gif

I did.  They were on my hit list as well.  Regretted it at first.  After a bit of burn and loads of tip drama I'm probably keeping them.  I think I'll be getting rid of something in the same price range.  Ahem.

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #17 of 56
Hmmm...well that's not a ringing endorsement. I figured you couldn't go wrong for this price. I'm really not willing to spend more than $100 on an IEM. Right now I'm STILL using my old RE2's (that I got for a whole $30 after the price drop) which really aren't at all bad, just nothing exceptional. But I don't critically listen to music with IEM's, just wear them around the house for chores/cutting the grass/exercise.

I think I'll probably get them, there are several others in the $60 to $80 range...but I doubt any would be better, if even as good (I realize SS preference is more of an issue than price is though).

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #18 of 56
They are good.  Don't expect me to get all fanboy on these being the greatest IEM ever insanity which seems pervasive.  I totally agree w/ Joker's assesment if that helps.  9/10.  After listening to the HJE900 do Piano the other similarly price IEM got smashed to bits.  That made it an easy decision to get rid of the other.  If I don't keep them it's because I have a decent collection.  I don't think I will though, they have a unique signature for a dynamic driver.  I have a DBA-02 and Sunrise Xcape on the way though.  

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #19 of 56
No I understand and thanks for not raving like so many on here seem to do about just about any can, IEM, amp, etc. at any price.

It just sounded you weren't very enthusiastic about them, like...well they're ok...I guess I'll keep them...meh...instead of something more like yes they are good/very good IEM's for the price and I enjoy them; no they are not EPIC and one of the best IEM's EVER MADE!!! but yea, very nice and fun. You just sounded very lukewarm about them...I'm lukewarm about my RE2's! And, actually, for the price, they are good and I enjoy them...so I'd expect a better/much better IEM would invoke more emotion is all.

Well I ordered them, I like the fun yet accurate enough to not be horribly colored description (again, I'm not doing critical listening with IEM's, and I want a "fun" factor for getting me through some boring chores and exercise routines sometimes lol...but I hate overly colored sound still), especially the part about the somewhat lush/warm vocals and crisp highs with good but not overdone bass. I bet I'll like them, if not, then I'll try something else with a different SS.

Thanks to OP for the deal alert!
beerchug.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #23 of 56
Trying really hard to resist buying a backup of these. 78+tax is over 30 dollars less than what I paid for them, and I already thought they were an incredible value at 109+tax.

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #24 of 56
You're telling me. I'm gong to be at B&H tomorrow for an exchange and thinking about stopping by J&R as well in the morning for a quick stop.

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #25 of 56

Quote:
You're telling me. I'm gong to be at B&H tomorrow for an exchange and thinking about stopping by J&R as well in the morning for a quick stop.

Yea... Us New Yorkers having the lowest available price(tax notwithstanding) right there makes it particularly hard. I've been thinking for a while about my next IEM purchase but with my indecision I sometimes think it would be better just to have a pristine back up, which actually has it's filters on and everything.

P.S. Isn't B&H's gizmo transportation system awesome? I like going to the store just to see the mechanical wizardry going on sometimes lol.

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #26 of 56
I was thinking about picking up a sleek audio cable for testing purposes as well but then decided that was stupid :p Yes their way of buying pretty nice as it probably prevents thefts and I don't have to carry anything :) Those two stores being there gives you lots of possibilities although I typically don't buy from the stores cuz of tax but sometimes the prices aren't that much more where I'd rather pay a small premium for getting it now and a physical store for returns/exchanges. This is one of those times as I'd rather get it tomorrow at the same price than getting it half a week later.

I think as long as it's fairly balanced and isn't overly warm like my MD's I may like them. I'd rather have a quick audition before I leave tomorrow but unfortunately that isn't available. I figure if anything I can just return it if I don't like it.

Although two of the same earphone is even more stupid than me buying a different cable for testing purposes imo. I don't think I could ever own a backup pair although it is pretty cheap but I'd rather get another signature or something.

Sep 14, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #27 of 56
If they were $78 on Amazon I'd be mad I just paid $90! But I like to keep my CC off as many sites as possible so I'm out $12 for that I guess, oh well.

I'd say at >$100 these are a good deal (based off my whole 2 or 3 hours listening to them). If I had paid <$100 I wouldn't be so happy; I don't think they are that great (keep in mind I personally don't want to spend more than $100 on ANY IEM, it's just not worth it for my uses).

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #28 of 56
^^ you mixed up your greater than or equal to signs
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #29 of 56
they are that much on amazon 
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #30 of 56

Quote:
^^ you mixed up your greater than or equal to signs
tongue.gif
" tongue.gif="" width="" />" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//http://hfimage.head-fi.org/smilies/tongue.gif" title="
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//http://hfimage.head-fi.org/smilies/tongue.gif" title="
tongue.gif
" width="" />" width="" />

You're right! Thanks for correcting me. I haven't used those in about 20 years though so give me a break.
biggrin.gif
Guess I forgot about which way the alligator faces as we learned them.

Quote:
they are that much on amazon 
biggrin.gif

Huh? I'm not seeing that, $89 as of right now. I know Amazon sometimes changes prices hourly though. Not a big deal though...$12, what's $12 these days? Hell, what's $100? It's like $50 5 to 10 years ago lol. Dinner for 2 ($30 to $40 depending on appetizers and drinks), movie ($30 to $35 depending on snacks), ice cream (about $10) and gas (about $5 to $10 for the evening) these days...or pretty good IEM's that will last for years.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back