DEAL ALERT. MONSTER TURBINE $58.99
Nov 24, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #137 of 195

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I actually like the mushroom tips that came with them, though they're not ideal for me when I'm at the gym.  I called Monster today and talked to somebody about getting a pair of foam tips.  Know what the guy told me?  The foam tips come with their $400 headphones, not the phones I bought, though I could buy a set for $40 or buy their sampler for $29 that has both foam and gel.  I told him no thanks and sent them an email instead, hoping to get a different response.

not being a smart arse...but good luck getting a response to your email, last time I got one, they told me to call them by tele

Well, I got my reply from Monster today.  I wonder if anyone ever actually gets a real reply through email?

[size=11pt]Hello, [/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
[size=11pt]We apologize for the inconvenience, to better assist you please contact our customer technical support 877-800-8989. [/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
[size=11pt]Our hours of operation are from 7:30am - 5:00pm PST. Mon. - Fri.[/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
[size=11pt]Thank you,[/size]
[size=11pt] [/size]
[size=11pt]Customer Technical Support[/size]

wow, that guy must be a robot, or a copy and paste-er...exact same reply I got last time

Has anyone ever tried calling monster tech support, and if so what kind of response do they give you?  Do they even try to help out?

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #138 of 195
When you call their hotline, you will receive:

---
Hello,

We apologize for the inconvenience, to better assist you please contact our customer technical support support@monstercable.com.

Our hours of operation are from 7:30am - 5:00pm PST. Mon. - Fri.

Thank you,

Customer Technical Support
---

Haha, this is not true of course. I'm just kidding.

Nov 25, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #140 of 195

Quote:
guys, i havent opened mine yet. are the actual earphones different from the pics on the box?

yes, from what I have read in this thread, you will no doubt receive a pair w/ the thinner cabling and straight connector (and inadequate strain relief) no foam eartips, and either one or  two cases (faux leather apparently)

Nov 25, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #141 of 195
I got mine and I can confirm that the connector is straight. Also, it does not come with the foams. HOWEVER, I did not know that the turbines sounded this good. I am wearing them with the cable over the ears for maximum seal. The bass is extended and visceral. The highs are present to the right quantity. The only problem is that the mids are somewhat recessed. I wished that they isolated a bit more. In that regards, I still need my etymotic research headphones. I am happy with my purchase and they are OK for $60. I would not pay more for them. They are a step up to the JVC Marshmallows, but they do not come anywhere near anything made by Etymotic. They are similar to the HJE-9000.

Nov 25, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #142 of 195
For those of you concern about the pouch, cables, etc. Let me break it down. Monster have been changing their pouches a lot. They used to come with only the leather pouch with a Monster Turbine logo on it. Then at some time, they just changed it to a plain leather pouch without an logo(I have this, it's not fake). Now they make it with some cloth and a logo WITH an extra soft pouch(used to only come with PG, PC, and some Beats crap). Same goes for the sewing color, they changed it alot.

The reason (my theory) for the new/updated box with the same old crap cable IEM inside is for an easy identification between fake and real Turbines. I've been watching Turbines auction over ebay for nearly half a year. It's very hard to tell the difference just by looking at low-quality box pictures. So I believe Monster made a new box to easily tell the difference. I can post some comparison picture of the 2 different box if needed. 

I'm not sure if Monster will actually update the regular Turbine with better cables, right angle connector, cable separator, and better cable-to-enclosure rubber, etc. 

Too bad I missed out on the $60 deal, but at least I got it for $43 shipped on ebay :)

EDIT: Monster never included foam tips with regular Turbines.

Nov 25, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #143 of 195
Got mine yesterday from Amazon. They have the straight 3.5mm plug even thought the box says angled connector.  This is my only gripe.

The Turbine soundstage and overall presentation is better than I expected.  Fischer Audio Silver Bullets sound bigger and warmer for the same price range but the Turbines have a better balanced presentation. Turbines will do well with a wider variety of music.  Turbines are a good value at this price.  I wouldn't pay more for the sound you get IMO.

Nov 25, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #144 of 195
Mids are recessed and the bass, though well extended I feel bleeds into the mid frequency. Very mediocre soundstage and presentation. When I try to EQ it clips. I found myself cringing when listening to them. My last IEM were RE-ZERO. I never considered them a very high end IEM but they stomp all over the turbine. Of course, they are completely different signature. If you want similar signature I say go for the hje900. I think the turbine should be priced around $40-50.

Quote:
Can you give us some specifics on what, exactly, you didn't like about them?

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #145 of 195

Quote:
Mids are recessed and the bass, though well extended I feel bleeds into the mid frequency. Very mediocre soundstage and presentation. When I try to EQ it clips. I found myself cringing when listening to them. My last IEM were RE-ZERO. I never considered them a very high end IEM but they stomp all over the turbine. Of course, they are completely different signature. If you want similar signature I say go for the hje900. I think the turbine should be priced around $40-50.

Quote:
Can you give us some specifics on what, exactly, you didn't like about them?

What are you running them out of? If I run anything right out of my computer it always sounds bad and clips when I try to EQ it. A good DAP that has some power to it (as in not an Ipod, though an Ipod would do OK) will make things sound much better.

Nov 25, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #146 of 195
They sound horrible out of my laptop, ipod, and clip. I find them unlistenable without EQ, but when I EQ its horrible too. I just bought a cowon s9 but Im not going to keep the turbines around to see if they are a better pairing. I wouldnt want a phone so picky of the source anyway. They have been put up for sale.

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #147 of 195
I think it's safe to assume that you got a bad pair, I find no clipping with mine at all, a very good sound stage, and tight bass.  The only thing I would agree with is that the mids are a bit recessed, but that's it.

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #148 of 195
Hm Im pretty sure theyre not defective. What player are you using and how much EQ are you using? What headphones have you heard? Compared to ones Ive heard around the price, Im astounded how bad these are.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #149 of 195

Quote:
They sound horrible out of my laptop, ipod, and clip. I find them unlistenable without EQ, but when I EQ its horrible too. I just bought a cowon s9 but Im not going to keep the turbines around to see if they are a better pairing. I wouldnt want a phone so picky of the source anyway. They have been put up for sale.

They seem really sensitive to positioning with the stock tips. When I first got them I wasn't all that impressed but I saw the comments here and switched to some old tips I had left from some original Vibes (a little thicker material and not as rounded as the Monster tips, much bigger opening) which made them fit a bit farther into the ear and it opened up the sound quite a bit with a bigger soundstage and more bass. It's probably not as balanced as the stock tips, but it sounds better to me and that's all I care about.

I also have Pro Alphas on the way and might try to scare up some Silver Bullets, was going to find some HJE900s as replaceable cables sounds great, but reading more about them it sounds like I'd probably want to mod them to tame the treble and the Turbines are sounding good enough now that I can wait until the next big IEM comes along.

Nov 26, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #150 of 195

Quote:

I didn't find the HJE900 signature anything like the Turbine. In fact, I found the HJE900 treble to be very fatiguing to the point I couldn't stand it. I can see the appeal of the Turbine. I'm not saying the Turbine is perfect but I found the soundstage to be a bit larger than a lot of IEMs out there around $60. Getting the right seal and position is important.  Burn-in is helping the overall clarity. I also amp using my RSA Shadow so that makes a difference.  IMO the Turbine is all around ok (but not anything great). $80 would be too much for the Turbine. $150 for the Turbine would be a waste of money considering all the choices out there these days in that price range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back