Aug 11, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #19 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL
I know these use Woflson DACs already.

Yankin my chain huh?
tongue.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #22 of 101
I bought a refurbed 80gig 5.5g from amazon back in nov of 2008, all i can say is wow, you would never guess it was used. I did pay 180 for it tho....but its totally worth it!

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #23 of 101
I'm sure they haven't messed with the hardware.

Refurb ipods are the way to go. Like-new operation and much cheaper.

I've bought 4 refurb ipods (2 from apple themselves) and I have had great luck. Ideally, get ipods that are refurbished from apple because they feature a warranty and are refurbished using genuine parts. I have a 5.5g that uses a third party back and front plate. Still nice but apple parts are preferred.

Aug 11, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #24 of 101
Comments section on Buy.com asks the seller who refurbished them and their response was Apple and the warranty is through Apple. It doesn't explicitly say that in the advertisement. I suppose there is the off chance that it could have 3rd party parts, but I would think you would have some recourse with Buy.com if you were adverse to that.

For $135 shipped, I figured its worth a shot. Look what used JUNK is going for on Ebay and Craigslist...they must be smoking something (buyers AND sellers)

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #25 of 101
I received my 5.5 today. Right off, let me say that it is perfect in every way (new back, new front, new phones, new connection cable) BUT, it is NOT an Apple refurbished Ipod. I should have known just by the fact that you don't see Apple refurbished products anywhere except Apple.

As soon as I opened the box, I could see the sticker on the front that said it was refurbished by a 3rd Party.

That got me to thinking...WHERE is a 3rd Party going to get enough Ipods turned in to make it worth the time to Refurbish them? Where did the original come from? Would Apple sell bulk units of "defective" Ipods? I doubt it.

The back looks just like an original, with all the proper markings. I just Rockboxed it with no problems. Later I will load it with some music and have a listen
o2smile.gif

Bottom line: no, it's not Apple refurb, but I'm fine with that. Where else can you get the 5.5 that looks like new for $135?

EDIT: After listening to various bits from Adele, Cat Stevens, and The Beatles I can confirm that this is a legitimate Ipod 5.5 generation (Rockbox recognized it as 5.5 also). The sound is identical to my already Rockboxed Ipod 5.5

If anyone is looking for a rig to Rockbox and/or IMOD, I would recommend these without reservation. I'm happy with this unit.

-Andy

Aug 15, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #26 of 101
I purchase one two weeks ago. Had to send it back , the hard drive motor continually spins. Hope to get a replacement soon .

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #30 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my 5.5 today. Right off, let me say that it is perfect in every way (new back, new front, new phones, new connection cable) BUT, it is NOT an Apple refurbished Ipod. I should have known just by the fact that you don't see Apple refurbished products anywhere except Apple.

As soon as I opened the box, I could see the sticker on the front that said it was refurbished by a 3rd Party.

That got me to thinking...WHERE is a 3rd Party going to get enough Ipods turned in to make it worth the time to Refurbish them? Where did the original come from? Would Apple sell bulk units of "defective" Ipods? I doubt it.

The back looks just like an original, with all the proper markings. I just Rockboxed it with no problems. Later I will load it with some music and have a listen
o2smile.gif

Bottom line: no, it's not Apple refurb, but I'm fine with that. Where else can you get the 5.5 that looks like new for $135?

EDIT: After listening to various bits from Adele, Cat Stevens, and The Beatles I can confirm that this is a legitimate Ipod 5.5 generation (Rockbox recognized it as 5.5 also). The sound is identical to my already Rockboxed Ipod 5.5

If anyone is looking for a rig to Rockbox and/or IMOD, I would recommend these without reservation. I'm happy with this unit.

-Andy

With the price of 135 to risk to have a second hand and old model IPOD, I would rather to looking for other new players. There are too many new player around the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back