DEAL ALERT-Ipod 5 Generation $140
Aug 17, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #33 of 101
I just ordered 2 5.5's, thanks for the wonderful heads up. The Zune 120 I have (I own 2, but the sis-in-law uses 1) is now up for sale w/a dock for charging & to hook to the TV for video out.

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #34 of 101
I can't believe they ship only in the U.S!

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #35 of 101
I was originally going to submit a post suggesting that people consider a more recent generation ipod, as I had issues with hiss on my 5.5 g 80gb video unit. But last night I put rockbox on the unit for the first time, and was very impressed. With apple firmware, I think the unit is OK. With rockbox, the fidelity is quite nice. Now I think I have some idea what all the buzz about Wolfson is about.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #36 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by podhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is the thicker case...at least I had to use my thicker Griffin back on it..

A lot of my 5.5 cases have that expander panel. Sorta defeats the purpose of keeping it small. Griffin has an aftermarket back for the 80?

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #37 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Booda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With the price of 135 to risk to have a second hand and old model IPOD, I would rather to looking for other new players. There are too many new player around the price.

LOL, it's refurbished. It comes with a 90 day warranty. It looks like Brand New. Mine has been functioning flawlessly under Rockbox. My guess is they replaced the battery at the Refurb; my battery is lasting like a new one. What do you want for $135 shipped????
confused_face(1).gif

I don't know what everyone else thinks, but the Click-wheel on the Ipod is Genius. I don't think there is a better interface on the market than the Ipod. Add Rockbox and this is a killer source, regardless if it is 1 generation old.

Look, for $135 plus $20 for some Black Gate Caps, some high quality wire, and another $20+ for a LOD, I don't know any portable that can compete with the sound quality.

They just added the White 80GB unit. I'm going to post pics of my black "unboxing".

I guess the reason why I'm so geeked by this deal is this is my very first Ipod (Daughters have/do own multiple Ipods). I held off due to the high price and less than stellar sound...

Good things come to those who wait, I guess.

Get 'em while you can. These are the kind of deals that people always kick themselves after they are gone. ($49 Sansa Clip anyone?)

Any other dissenters besides Booda?

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #39 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by originalsnuffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was originally going to submit a post suggesting that people consider a more recent generation ipod, as I had issues with hiss on my 5.5 g 80gb video unit. But last night I put rockbox on the unit for the first time, and was very impressed. With apple firmware, I think the unit is OK. With rockbox, the fidelity is quite nice. Now I think I have some idea what all the buzz about Wolfson is about.

Rockbox made that much difference huh?
How tuff is it to install? and....I guess no more using itunes to load your music?
So how do you load your music now?
thanks

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #40 of 101
You can use your graphical operating system to drag files onto the player, or use a program like mediamonkey or itunes to drag music onto the player. No more synchronizing in itunes though. Just drag and drop from the itunes window.

I believe the different firmwares sound the same with the EQ off. Rockbox has a much more advanced EQ however.

Aug 18, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #41 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can use your graphical operating system to drag files onto the player, or use a program like mediamonkey or itunes to drag music onto the player. No more synchronizing in itunes though. Just drag and drop from the itunes window.

I believe the different firmwares sound the same with the EQ off. Rockbox has a much more advanced EQ however.

decisions decisions....

Aug 18, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #42 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by podhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
decisions decisions....

It's a dual boot system. You can boot the player into Rockbox or you can boot into the original firmware with a slide of the hold switch.

If you don't like Rockbox, you can uninstall it.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #43 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by andyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Add Rockbox and this is a killer source, regardless if it is 1 generation old.

Look, for $135 plus $20 for some Black Gate Caps, some high quality wire, and another $20+ for a LOD, I don't know any portable that can compete with the sound quality.

I'm in the same situation: daughters and wife with iPods and me none. I'm not sure about the iMod--I think one wires the output of the Wolsen DAC directly to the line out. Where do the Black Gate go, in the ipod or external? Do you have to use an external amp then? Either to get a vol control or the make the signal strong enough to drive HP or both???
Would the output (w/o amp) be enough to drive IEMs like the Westones or the Jerry Harveys. Does Rockbox work with the iMod? I like the idea of being able to play flac.

The other options for high quality playback it seems to me are either the iRiver iHP120/140 (on ebay 100-180) or the new iPhone 3Gs.

TIA, George

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #44 of 101
I didn't buy one since I have my iPhone and don't want so many devices but if I needed an iPod, this seems like a good deal.

EDIT- I BOUGHT ONE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsawdy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure about the iMod--I think one wires the output of the Wolsen DAC directly to the line out. Where do the Black Gate go, in the ipod or external? Do you have to use an external amp then?

Yes, I believe you would need to use a special LOD (which has the gate inside the cable/connector) with the iMod as well as an amp. The headphone jack would still work as normal though you would not get the benefit of the mod using it.

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #45 of 101
Thank you Phototristan, I think I'll pass on this option---special wires, an external amp---it's getting to bulky. That probably means that I'll go with an iPhone. Although I haven't eliminated the iRivers.
George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back