Deal Alert: HP Touchpad Liquidated at $99.
Aug 29, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #91 of 107
Did anyone else happen to snag a 64gb version of the Touchpad? I got one from CostCentral the other day because I was getting frustrated at having all of my 16/32gb orders cancelled. Lo and behold, it arrived today, and I checked ebay... these babies are running for $600+! Holy crap!

But... I want to have a tablet...

so... what do I do? ;_;

first world problems for sure...

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #92 of 107

Quote:
The gouging is pretty bad for the touchpad right now. Tons of people try to sell them to people who get turned away at Best Buys, those scalpers tend to have 10-15 touchpads loaded in the back of their cars and sell for quite a markup, or so I hear. There's even a story of one guy getting to a Best Buy that sold all their stock to one Indian family. Frankly, the whole touchpad craze is starting to be blown to extremes.

yeah, i saw one going for $250 on a respectable rc forum...seriously? $250

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #93 of 107
I think I will hold on to my Touchpad now that it seems that more apps are being released and more next month. It seems that the Android port is not a fad. HP may even resurrect the Touchpad given the recent turnout.

I personally would not pay $250 for a $32GB, but what is it worth to you? If people are willing to pay $250 for a 32GB, then that's what I will sell it for and that would be fair. It is like real state. The last thing I want to hear is someone judging me or calling it highway robery for selling it at a higher price.

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #94 of 107
HP isn't going to resurrect it. They're going to make some more because their parts suppliers still have a bunch of parts leftover and there are probably contracts guaranteeing that HP buys a certain amount. Keep in mind that it couldn't be sold at a profit; they won't pick it back up. WebOS will be marginally kept alive in hopes of selling it to someone else. It's a nice product for email, surfing, etc., but I wouldn't get too deep into the platform.

In a year, there will be entirely new Android tablets and OS upgrades. We'll have iOS 6 and possibly an iPad4. Prices will drop and the category is going to be hotter.

Sep 3, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #95 of 107
There's also talks of HP actually "launching" (if you can call it that) their 7" version of the TouchPad given that their manufacturer have the parts that HP ordered earlier this year. It would be a sad, sad thing to see a new product launch with pre-confirmation that it's one run and WAPOW gone forever... I mean, at least the TouchPad had two months or something of regular sales before the fire sale, but this little guy will only see the light of day under a clearance price. 

I must say, before the TouchPad fire sale, I was looking to get an ASUS Eee Pad Transformer (a widescreen Android 3.0 tablet with a keyboard docking station paired with extra batteries) and one of them landed on my office desk earlier this week that we're going to demo... Just playing around with it, minus the docking keyboard, made me want it that much more. The HP TouchPad is a weirdly powerful tablet, that's heavy, app-lacking, but great for the average consumer who just want basic media function on the go. The ASUS Transformer is a power tablet that solves that netbook itch, blows through multimedia needs (HDMI, USB, expandable memory and a responsive screen / fast operating system)... If you can't score a TouchPad, go for the Transformer (the dock bundles are optional) as it's cheap and I like it better than the iPad, Xoom and whatever other overpriced tablet nonsense.

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #96 of 107
I cant believe that there were people lined up at the Best Buy last night starting at 9 pm waiting for the Touchpads that were available this morning. I was at BB at 11 pm, saw that line and i got the hell out of there. I wasnt going to wait 10 hours in line for a second Touchpad. There are nicer tablets than the HP Touchpad. The ASUS Transformer is definitely a much better tablet and it is worth the price for the functionality it provides.

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #97 of 107
Check the best buy forums, there were a whole lot of people pissed off when various BBY managers lied and claimed they had no touchpads to sell, for various reasons. OK, that is a problem. But some of these people write about driving to BBY at 6 AM, waiting all day, being told there were none, coming back the next day at 6 AM, etc. One guy even sat in the parking lot all day and watched for the delivery of touchpads. The second the truck finally came he rushed in and asked to buy one. The people at the store didn't even know the truck had pulled up yet... what kind of life do these people live where they will waste 1 or 2 days to save money on an obsolete product? How little is their time worth that they can wait for 2 days to save $200? And if they really need to save money so badly, why are they buying a Touchpad?

Sep 4, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #98 of 107

Quote:
I cant believe that there were people lined up at the Best Buy last night starting at 9 pm waiting for the Touchpads that were available this morning. I was at BB at 11 pm, saw that line and i got the hell out of there. I wasnt going to wait 10 hours in line for a second Touchpad. There are nicer tablets than the HP Touchpad. The ASUS Transformer is definitely a much better tablet and it is worth the price for the functionality it provides.

Debatable. And they'll only last as long as Apple doesn't start filing lawsuits like insane. They somehow won the case in Germany, despite clearly doctored photos. You'd have to be extremely stupid to mistake the Galaxy tab for an iPad just by glancing; the tablet's aspect ratio is widescreen. Though I would love to see what comes out of Apple suing HP (and Palm, in effect), since they both have patents that can potentially cripple the other completely. You know that in-call screen that all iPhone users know and love? Palm patented that. Auto brightness? Palm patented.

Sep 4, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #99 of 107

lololol what??
Originally Posted by Byakushiki /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Debatable. And they'll only last as long as Apple doesn't start filing lawsuits like insane. They somehow won the case in Germany, despite clearly doctored photos. You'd have to be extremely stupid to mistake the Galaxy tab for an iPad just by glancing; the tablet's aspect ratio is widescreen. Though I would love to see what comes out of Apple suing HP (and Palm, in effect), since they both have patents that can potentially cripple the other completely. You know that in-call screen that all iPhone users know and love? Palm patented that. Auto brightness? Palm patented.

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #100 of 107

Quote:
As stated in my last post, I got my order in by 3:35AM CST Monday, about 25 minutes before the cutoff time where they said they would cancel orders.  They said they would email order confirmations within 24-72 hours.

HP sent me a confirmation of the order a little after 3AM today, 48 hours later.  But then around 5PM sent me a new email saying that they would cancel the order because I placed it after the sold out notice was placed on their web page.

Their site kept crashing on me when I ordered it, and it took 2.5 hours to get past the "VBScript out of memory" errors to get the order through, and at no point did I see a sold out notice.  I beat the 4AM cutoff, and I think they should send me the discounted touchpad when they get enough back from retailers or warehouses to ship them.

Based on the successful confirmation I ordered a $30 HP case from Amazon, and now it's too late to cancel that case.  Kinda ticked off right now.

After 8 days of not actually canceling the order and making me think the previous threat was a mistake, the death sentence was carried out on Thursday.  The cancelation included an email telling me the order was canceled because I placed it at 8:22AM, after the 4AM cutoff (really? while I was asleep).  I sent them proof that I placed the order by 3:35AM CST and they told me tough luck.  The company is run by idiots and should go bankrupt.  My son really could have used one for school.  I'll have to investigate other budget (under $200) tablets instead.  I've got an old 1.8Ghz Celeron Hewlett Packard PC that I'm thinking of taking to the shooting range...

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #101 of 107

Quote:
After 8 days of not actually canceling the order and making me think the previous threat was a mistake, the death sentence was carried out on Thursday.  The cancelation included an email telling me the order was canceled because I placed it at 8:22AM, after the 4AM cutoff (really? while I was asleep).  I sent them proof that I placed the order by 3:35AM CST and they told me tough luck.  The company is run by idiots and should go bankrupt.  My son really could have used one for school.  I'll have to investigate other budget (under $200) tablets instead.  I've got an old 1.8Ghz Celeron Hewlett Packard PC that I'm thinking of taking to the shooting range...

As a vendor of HP products, I'll note that they've been hilarious in the past few years. Whether you're looking for a tablet or laptop worth the price they're asking, I'd recommend Asus. Like I noted above, the Asus Eee Pad Transformer tablet is a hybrid tablet that can be transformed from a regular light-weight tablet into a netbook with the keyboard docking station (with built-in batteries for extra battery life in netbook mode). If your son is looking for a tablet or laptop/netbook, I'd highly recommend that-- great for taking notes on the go, browsing the web, has all the expandable memory and output options you could want, tablet applications/games and stylish; not to mention cheap for a high performance tablet!

If this is a somewhat education-based-purchase, the keyboard expansion on the Eee Pad Transformer would fit far better than the HP TouchPad, even with their keyboard add-on.

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #102 of 107

Quote:
As a vendor of HP products, I'll note that they've been hilarious in the past few years. Whether you're looking for a tablet or laptop worth the price they're asking, I'd recommend Asus. Like I noted above, the Asus Eee Pad Transformer tablet is a hybrid tablet that can be transformed from a regular light-weight tablet into a netbook with the keyboard docking station (with built-in batteries for extra battery life in netbook mode). If your son is looking for a tablet or laptop/netbook, I'd highly recommend that-- great for taking notes on the go, browsing the web, has all the expandable memory and output options you could want, tablet applications/games and stylish; not to mention cheap for a high performance tablet!

If this is a somewhat education-based-purchase, the keyboard expansion on the Eee Pad Transformer would fit far better than the HP TouchPad, even with their keyboard add-on.

I'm going to have to agree. A Transformer makes a far better tablet for notes. The virtual keyboard on the Touchpad is rather cumbersome, and isn't very finger friendly even on the large keys setting. CyanogenMod's Touchpad shares the same undersized virtual keyboard, perhaps even smaller. Now, there are applications that let you resize the keys to your liking but they're slightly harder to find.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #103 of 107
The problem with the touchpad is mostly the software/OS... people are excited about the deal because you can get some very nice hardware for a very low price.  
Asus definitely makes nicer stuff than HP, but HP is still not bad for dirt cheap hardware... there aren't many companies that regularly have i7/8gb ram laptops for under $800 right now.
If you're a techy guy that likes to tinker around with stuff the touchpad is a pretty awesome toy to play with.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #104 of 107
They got sound working, along with wifi and Market.
Take a look
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back