Deaf in one ear, please advise?
Mar 13, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To any on-lookers: You shoudl know that even though you can only hear out of one ear that you still get a 3d sound space because your brain adjusts and reinterprets.

Absolutely! I'm about 70-75% deaf in one ear, and owning a cross-feed amp (HeadRoom MicroAmp) makes listening to even olden Beatles and Moody Blues recordings audible in my bad ear, thanks to the wonderful compensation abilities of the brain's auditory system.

By the by, I've always loved the Grados, as their emphasis on brights has helped my bad ear not feel so left out in regards to detail.

Mar 13, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #17 of 32
foobar definitely has a downmixer from stereo to mono. Get a (relatively) decent outboard DAC - like say an Edirol UA25 or Trends UD-10 and you'd probably be good to go in choosing any cans he likes! If you need the extra fi then an amp after the DAC may also be in order..

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #19 of 32
I think getting a headphone with a Stereo/Mono switch is probably the easiest solutions. Some DJ Headphones like the Beyerdynamic DJX-1 have such switch.

Mar 16, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #21 of 32
For a portable rig, you could easily get your source to output mono if you get a player that supports Rockbox (check out the Mono settings under Sound/Channel Configuration). In that case you wouldn't need any adaptors or special headphones at all.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:09 AM Post #22 of 32
Hiccamer,

I notice you've Rockboxed your ipod. I did this last night and chose the mono-out setting. What a bloody revelation! I've been waiting over 20 years for this. I recommend it thoroughly. Bit techie I know, but defeinitely worth perservering with. Hope this helps.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #23 of 32
Feb 1, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by hiccamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well given that recordings are in stereo, he would like to hear both the left and right tracks into his right ear...
does that sum up the problem?

Use amp with mono setting and turn balance to good ear only.

Feb 1, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This Lazarus thread is from 10 months ago...

Thread necromancy!

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by triode12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about bone conducting cans from Teac...

TEAC's bone conducting HP-F100 headphones - Engadget

They conduct the sound through the temples of your head to the inner ear.

Those look really interesting. I wonder how the sound is perceived!

I myself have a condition of otosclerosis(tiny bones in your ear leading the sound from the eardrum to the neural receptors jamming, reducing responsiveness in frequencies) in my right ear and these would be really cool to try out and see what my hearing would be like if the jamming mechanics were bypassed.

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #28 of 32
To answer your request, I'm taking a different perspective than others in this thread. I suggest you tell your friend to not wear headphones. The reason is because of the possibility of hearing damage in his one and only hearing ear. If that one is damaged, he would be totally deaf.
I suggest he record everything acoustically. Perhaps either with other "live" musicians or when laying down tracks or over-dubbing, listening via speakers.
The concept of recording everything (or the "basic" rhythm tracks) all at once is a concept that is foreign to a lot of nowadays musicians. It was common practice years ago. Considering his deafness, this may be the best way for him to record.
Incidentally, tell your friend that Frank Sinatra was also deaf (from birth) in one ear.

Mar 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #29 of 32
Check out Scansound..they have single ear stereo earphones for either ear ranging from about 20 dollars to 40 dollars.  Or if you are rich check out Sensophonic that has a single ear stereo earphone for $450.00!  I have deafness in my left ear from meningitis at a early age and the doc says nothing short of a cochlear implant will help but I can't qualify for that because I can hear in my right ear.  It was a pain listening to only half the song when it breaks up to bass and treble  in regular earphones.  if you need any help choosing let me know as I bought and tried out all the affordable ones already. nave246@yahoo.com

Mar 3, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #30 of 32
Check out Scansound..they have single ear stereo earphones for either ear ranging from about 20 dollars to 40 dollars.  Or if you are rich check out Sensophonic that has a single ear stereo earphone for $450.00!  I have deafness in my left ear from meningitis at a early age and the doc says nothing short of a cochlear implant will help but I can't qualify for that because I can hear in my right ear.  It was a pain listening to only half the song when it breaks up to bass and treble  in regular earphones.  if you need any help choosing let me know as I bought and tried out all the affordable ones already. nave246@yahoo.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back