Dead left ear-cup - Denon AH-D1001
Apr 29, 2012 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Yousername

New Head-Fier
Hi all, first time poster here and looking for a bit of advice.

The left earpiece of my Denon AH-D1001s has recently stopped working, the sound cut out and would work intermittently when I wiggled the cable leading into it so I decided to open it up to take a look. The solder is intact and fine as far as i can see, picture below.

I'm assuming that the whole cable needs to be replaced in that case, and since they're 4yrs old and imported from the US via eBay, I'm going to have to do it myself! I found this thread detailing how to, but I'm a complete novice so how are my chances? Also if there are any UK users about who could direct me to a good site for cables etc then that would be much appreciated.

Tips? Advice? Thanks.

Apr 29, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 3
Apr 30, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 3
I recommend using the mogami mini star quad. (W2893).
It's alot easier to use premade cable than to roll and braid your own... and the mini star quad is more than enough for the D1001's

These plugs are cheap and work well with mini star quad.
http://www.daleproaudio.com/p-4078-neutrik-nys231bg-35mm-trs-stereo-plug-blackgold.aspx

You'll also need some helping hands.
http://www.talk2myshirt.com/blog/image-upload/DIY_images/helping_hands.jpg

Recabling my D1001's was my first soldering experiance, and mine survived.

• Remove cup.
  • Use multimeter and mark which is + and -
  • Heat up your iron. Once hot, tin and clean it.
  • Pull on wire as you heat up solder pad, so that it'll be remove as soon as it becomes liquid, and you can stop applying heat.
  • Tin your new wire. Add flux to pad (if you have any). Put wire on top of pad using helping hands. Apply heat to pad/wire, when it comes liquid, the wire will sink into the pad. Remove heat.

Also, let us know if you think they sound different!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back