Dead headphones or need more power
Aug 29, 2018 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pmknight

New Head-Fier
I recently acquired a pair of Sennheiser HD 420, from the 60's or 70's,and I cant tell if they're dead or just in need of more power. I have tried connecting them through my phone and pc with no results. I did a bit or research and found that these cans have a 600 ohm impedance rating, sensitivity of 94db spl/1mW @ 1KHz, and and what i think is efficiency of 102db spl @ 2.0V. I assumed that what i have tried cant power these headphones so i tried a pyle HA40 amp and nothing either. I later learned that this amp comes with its own problems of having 470 Ohm impedance instead of 47 Ohm. I have since ordered a cheapo chinese amp that says it can delivier 900mW per channel but it will be a while before it gets here. Does anyone have any experience with these set of cans or could shed some light on this issue. Any help is much appreciated.

Aug 29, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 5
It has been my experience that even when headphones are severely under driven some sound will come out. Even the HE6 got sound out of it thru a mobile phone.

600ohms and 94 sensitivity is quite close to the AKG K240 sextetts ratings,and again,even plugged into the jack of a laptop you will get sound albeit very poor sounding.

I have no experience with your particular Sennheiser model,but I would think that if theyre working correctly you would hear something.

Aug 29, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 5
:triportsad: This is making me sad. I was kinda looking forward to trying them out. I'm going to try a bit more hoping that they just need more juice. I'm going to try jumping the resistors on the crappy Pyle amp to see if there is any difference. I hope it does but at this point im not going to hold my breath.

Aug 29, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back