Dead & Gone (Bands after a member's death)
Oct 5, 2012 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
How do people feel about this subject? While I realize it's a bit of a sore subject I realized tonight that 2 of my favorite songs by The Who were done after Keith Moon died. 

You Better Bet, and Eminence Front. Both fantastic songs, IMO. 

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #2 of 13
Edit:

I re-read your post this morning and changed my answer.

How about The Rolling Stones after Brian Jones (who had already been kicked out of the band) died in 1969? They only got stronger.

Or Neil Young and Crazy Horse after Danny Whitten's death in 1972...

The Allman Brothers after Duane Allman's death in 1971...

And of course, Lynyrd Skynyrd for continuing after the plane crash, although things were never the same. I admire their courage.

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 13
It doesn't really bother me when a bassist, drummer, etc. dies. I can't stand when the lead singer dies and the band tries to carry on as the original group. IMO Lynyrd Skynyrd is not Lynyrd Skynyrd without Ronnie Van Zandt.  Same goes for Alice in Chains.

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 13
Really? Bonham and Moon's deaths pretty much ended both of those bands. Drummers and lead singers are the tough ones to come back from, if they're good. 

The Doors is a perfect example. No more Morrison no more Doors.

Quote:
It doesn't really bother me when a bassist, drummer, etc. dies. I can't stand when the lead singer dies and the band tries to carry on as the original group. IMO Lynyrd Skynyrd is not Lynyrd Skynyrd without Ronnie Van Zandt.  Same goes for Alice in Chains.

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 13
Grateful Dead after Jerry died.

images

Oct 5, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 13
Queen - when Freddie Mercury died so did the band.
Chicago - when Terry Kath passed away, the band is not the same.
Ramones - Without Joey no more band.
AC/DC - When Bon Scott died the band almost disbanded.
INXS - not the same without Michael Hutchence.
Bee Gees - Died when Maurice Gibb died.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #11 of 13

The fun thing about John Bonham is that every member of Led Zeppelin absolutely hated that guy.

They hated him! 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back