Dead Driver?
Jul 23, 2009 at 4:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Skrying

100+ Head-Fier
I was enjoying some music on my Denon AH-1000s and the left driver lost sound completely. It didn't happen right away (at least that's my recall about it). It seemed like the left sound had its volume lowered around a second in length. Now I don't get anything out of the left driver. Even maxing out the volume on my computer, wish produces a faint static in the right driver, results in nothing in the left driver.

I'm opened the headphones and the wiring appears to be fine. There was no odd sounds. The 3.5 connector seems like it is fine as well.

Is there some way to confirm this? I hope its just wiring, would be a good project for my first recable.

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 5
Do you have a DMM handy? If you do, open the headphones up, put the probes on both driver contact pads and check for continuity across the voice coil. If you get continuity (power) through the voice coil, then the fault is in the cable. If you get nothing across the voice coil, then it's blown.

Also check the cable for continuity. If both the cable and voice coil check out, then the solder connection between the voice coil and cable is bad.

Here's hoping the only problem is only the solder connection.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 5
I can borrow one tomorrow and check it out. I don't mind if there is a cable problem... I kind of welcome that. But a blown driver would ruin the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back