DDC - Digital USB interfaces - Xmos or Amanero Combo384 based - Raspberry Pi - HifiBerry DAC+ Pro - reviews, comparison, modifications and USB-Audio in general
Mar 21, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #541 of 569
Hello,

I bought this Amanero USB interface this week. It offers I2S, Coaxial and Toshlink outputs. You may power this up via external 3.3V - 5V power source, or USB 5V.
When I power this up via an external linear 5V, I could cut off the USB 5V entirely, unlike the Gustard U12, Melodious MX-U8, Mr. Lee Amanero PCB and many other units still consuming 5V via USB simultaneously.

It cost me RMB279 with metal case. It costs RMB199 for PCB only. Mind you. these days Gustard U12 costs RMB750 and Melodious MX-U8 costs RMB1,450.

I must admit I'm an Amanero fanatic, so my first impression, just love it.

Mar 21, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #542 of 569
Looks like a very nice device Riemann, and, very good price!

Does it sound better than your previous Amanero?

You know, I'm a RPI-fanatic 
wink_face.gif
 No PC,No drivers, No USB, just I2S straight from PCM from RPI (isolated, fifo, reclocked) 

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #543 of 569
For the time being, I am testing the co-axial and toshlink output. And, I shall inform you the overall performance after 200 hrs burn-in. But I have to say, so far so good.

It may not be a bad idea to match Amanero with Linux/Raspeberry. You know, no drivers needed for Linux.

Mar 21, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #544 of 569
  For the time being, I am testing the co-axial and toshlink output. And, I shall inform you the overall performance after 200 hrs burn-in. But I have to say, so far so good.

It may not be a bad idea to match Amanero with Linux/Raspeberry. You know, no drivers needed for Linux.

Sounds good!

But, "Matching" Amanero with RPI would be useless.
Why would one want to do that? What would you gain in having an USB-based device called Amanero connected to an RPI? That would only render the audio-pc obsolete, nothing else.

Having allready an I2S signal (which can be optimized with FIFO's - Isolators and reclockers), CONVERT it (with USB drivers-implemented in Linux) to USB signal, then CONVERT it to I2S, and if SPDIF is used it has to be converted another time.
What would be the win in this situation???

RPI=Low Computing device, does not have all the High Frequency garbage which is inherent to high-performance pc's,  does not have the garbage pc-psu, does not need the crappy USB protocol (and $$$$ USB Chain) etc etc etc etc etc etc,
It is a very simple solution, which is common knowledge by now that it can sound superior when implemented the right way.

Don't forget that, when using USB, when you want to have the best possible signal quality, you finally would end-up with I2S signal which would have to be ISOLATED, BUFFERD WITH FIFO, and RECLOCKED.

This I2S signal can simply be derived from RPI with Isolator, fifo buffer, and reclocker. Total cost less than $300 when putting it in an enclosure and having I2S-RJ45 and I2S-HDMI outputs.
And, further, don't forget this device allready would be a complete client solution, thus, it's a player which only needs a good I2S dac.
You even could install and run LMS server together with the client on this RPI, which would make it possible to only connect to music database on NAS, or on USB-HD-SSD.
This way it would be an all-in-one music source, just connect it to the network and connect it with your shared music, or even use the local connected storage as music source.

By the way, there are lots of options and addons to play music from youtube and many streaming providers.

I didn't heard of ANYBODY who tried RPI in combination with isolator/fifo/reclocker who went back to pc solution, even a DualPC solution based on Server 2012 and AO with JPlay, which I owned before.

It is clear that I am a RPI-I2S fanatic 
biggrin.gif

No hard feelings, for all others who are very happy with USB DDC's, just keep doing what you are doing. Just saying that the (low-cost) RPI solution, if proper implemented, can be a huge increase in SQ and usability.

Mar 21, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #545 of 569
 Sounds even better!

Please allow me to say thank you very much for your detailed information. After I read and digested your kind explanation, at least I know I am not committing any crime at all.

Thank you, thank you very much.

Mar 21, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #546 of 569
   Sounds even better!

Please allow me to say thank you very much for your detailed information. After I read and digested your kind explanation, at least I know I am not committing any crime at all.

Thank you, thank you very much.

You're very welcome my friend 
wink_face.gif

No, of course you are not committing a crime 
biggrin.gif

Your postings, always with the newest devices and components,are VERY welcome, at least to me, MUCH appreciated!

Just thought, when re-reading your first post, now using coax, does it mean you don't use your AK4495SEQ-I2S dac right now?
Is it still not working? 
frown.gif

If I can help, just ask, ok?

Cheers man! 
beerchug.gif

Alex

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:45 AM Post #548 of 569
  Hi All,
On their main website Audio GD specifies four different USB interfaces:
a) USB-32
b) Amanero combo 384
c) Xmos U8
d) Xmos U208 (since Nov 2016)
Is there any consensus regarding the above in the meaning of "best audio" performance?

Hi,
This is probably not the best thread to check for this info - best to search for threads more specific to the exact model DAC you are interested in...
That said - iiuc option a and c above are pretty much obsolete if you are looking at a new Audio-GD DAC.
From everything I have been reading, my guess is the XMOS U208 and Amanero are at generally the same quality level.
This XMOS U208 is relatively new and well regarded in other implementations such as the Singxer stuff, but engineering around the chip needs to be commensurate to get it to perform at its best.
The Amanero sound quality is also well regarded and is a more mature device. My perception is that XMOS stuff in general has less compatibility issues than Amanero.
I suggest to check more Audio-GD DAC threads to see if anyone has compared these 2 (option b and d) side-by-side.. I have been reading a lot about the Audio-GD DAC's and do not recall such a comparison, but you can at least get an overall idea if people are satisfied with their USB input, or found using an external DDC offered a big improvement. 
I have owned or currently own Audio-GD devices using your option a,b and c above and they were all competent (though lots of past complaints about the option "a" drivers iirc).
I think the Audio-GD implementation of the Amanero is very good, and if you want something simple to use that would be my first choice (since I have not yet heard the option "d").
If you are thinking of buying new and for sure want to keep an in-DAC USB input, you may want to consider to check if Audio-GD will give you the option to change your SPDIF BNC input to HDMI i2S, which would give you an optional upgrade path for the future.  I think the new Singularity 19 Neutral Version at 650 USD is a great value.. there is a thread here at HF about it, so if that is the budget range you are looking at, I suggest to read through that thread in detail first and ask those folks any specific questions.

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #549 of 569

Thx for your answer. I've recently stumbled upon an ex-demo unit of Reference 10.32 and I'm currently highly considering it as one of my options. The shop has just emailed me few minutes ago, that there is no possibility of putting XU208 into that unit and I'm waiting for confirmation regarding putting Amanero inside.
You mentioned Singularity 19 and I was also considering this as an option, choosing between it and Denafrips Ares (which has XU208). However I checked higher models from Denafrips (Venus & Terminator) and they both have Amanero listed in the specs. The price difference between these models has biased me to think that Amanero must be "better" option as it appears in higher specced DACs.

Mar 31, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #550 of 569
Thx for your answer. I've recently stumbled upon an ex-demo unit of Reference 10.32 and I'm currently highly considering it as one of my options. The shop has just emailed me few minutes ago, that there is no possibility of putting XU208 into that unit and I'm waiting for confirmation regarding putting Amanero inside.
You mentioned Singularity 19 and I was also considering this as an option, choosing between it and Denafrips Ares (which has XU208). However I checked higher models from Denafrips (Venus & Terminator) and they both have Amanero listed in the specs. The price difference between these models has biased me to think that Amanero must be "better" option as it appears in higher specced DACs.

I think that Audio-GD also considers their Amanero as "better" than their XU208, but the XU208 if properly implemented (such as an F-1 DDC with good PS) should easily be at the same level but with a different presentation - and sometimes more preferable. I am pretty sure I remember in some of the Master-7 threads (not all the relevant threads are here at HF) that there have been folks upgrading from the stock Amanero to a souped-up F-1 or stock SU-1.

I did prefer the stock Amanero to a stock SU-1 via i2s (for my NFB1 2016), but I am sure my modded PS SU-1 would now be preferable to the stock Amanero.. (of course a modded PS SU-1 can get pretty expensive). A lot of this has to do more with matching with your gear and preferences, rather than one thing being absolutely better than the other.

It would be good to check with Audio-GD if that Reference 10.32 can handle the recent firmware update. I would also check if one of the SPDIF inputs can be modded for i2s input.

Not sure if you saw this:
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Reference10/RE10EN.htm
I personally liked the Audio-GD USB-32 stuff, to me was a nice organic sound - but I may have been in the minority about that... if you can change to Amanero I also would consider that an upgrade.

The Ares seems like a good value also and from what I have been reading seems they did an unusually great job on the USB input... so I personally would not worry much about that being XMOS if everything else seems to suit your preferences. 

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #551 of 569
It would be good to check with Audio-GD if that Reference 10.32 can handle the recent firmware update. I would also check if one of the SPDIF inputs can be modded for i2s input.

I personally liked the Audio-GD USB-32 stuff, to me was a nice organic sound - but I may have been in the minority about that... if you can change to Amanero I also would consider that an upgrade.

The Ares seems like a good value also and from what I have been reading seems they did an unusually great job on the USB input... so I personally would not worry much about that being XMOS if everything else seems to suit your preferences. 

Got a reply that this unit is fitted with VIA Vinyl Audio VT1731. Don't know what that's about, but I think I'll skip Reference 10.32 in favour of NFB-1AMP. With regards to DAC, will have to spend some time reading about NOS vs OS.

Mar 31, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #552 of 569

I think that Audio-GD also considers their Amanero as "better" than their XU208, but the XU208 if properly implemented (such as an F-1 DDC with good PS) should easily be at the same level but with a different presentation - and sometimes more preferable. I am pretty sure I remember in some of the Master-7 threads (not all the relevant threads are here at HF) that there have been folks upgrading from the stock Amanero to a souped-up F-1 or stock SU-1.

I did prefer the stock Amanero to a stock SU-1 via i2s (for my NFB1 2016), but I am sure my modded PS SU-1 would now be preferable to the stock Amanero.. (of course a modded PS SU-1 can get pretty expensive). A lot of this has to do more with matching with your gear and preferences, rather than one thing being absolutely better than the other.

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for jumping into this, you indeed are the absolutelu right guy to comment on this subject!
You have a lot of experience with many different DDC devices/modules and in my opinion, the recommendations are the right ones!

I agree in all @motberg said! Nothing to add 
wink_face.gif

Keep up the good work!
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back