dCS Bartok
Sep 8, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #1,636 of 2,060
Hi All, just joined the club after moving on from a Dave + Mscaler + USB conditioner + Streamer with fewer LPS and the spaghetti I had to deal with and loving the sound and simplicity now. Would like to take the sound up another notch and I have a question..
From most resources I read..ethernet seem to be the best input. I have the chance to build a top notch music server from scratch based on SOtM's offering from the motherboard to nic card to usb card and obviously clocking them from a single master reference clock. I am of the opinion its not going to benefit me if such a build will function only as a roon core since and sending files to the Bartok via ethernet.

The question is what if you have a really good music server serving local files + streaming from Tidal like the one I am thinking of building and connecting it into the USB input of the Bartok? Will this provide a better audio experience compared to ethernet on the Bartok? Frank comments appreciated. If I'm dreaming tell me lol.

Currently using the ethernet input of the Bartok and have my roon core installed on an off the shelf Intel NUC powered by an LPS.

Disclaimer - I'm really happy with the sound now and the question is really in the interest of experimenting and learning from others here.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #1,637 of 2,060
Hi All, just joined the club after moving on from a Dave + Mscaler + USB conditioner + Streamer with fewer LPS and the spaghetti I had to deal with and loving the sound and simplicity now. Would like to take the sound up another notch and I have a question..
From most resources I read..ethernet seem to be the best input. I have the chance to build a top notch music server from scratch based on SOtM's offering from the motherboard to nic card to usb card and obviously clocking them from a single master reference clock. I am of the opinion its not going to benefit me if such a build will function only as a roon core since and sending files to the Bartok via ethernet.

The question is what if you have a really good music server serving local files + streaming from Tidal like the one I am thinking of building and connecting it into the USB input of the Bartok? Will this provide a better audio experience compared to ethernet on the Bartok? Frank comments appreciated. If I'm dreaming tell me lol.

Currently using the ethernet input of the Bartok and have my roon core installed on an off the shelf Intel NUC powered by an LPS.

Disclaimer - I'm really happy with the sound now and the question is really in the interest of experimenting and learning from others here.
I don't think that this would improve anything compared to ethernet on the Bartok.

Sep 8, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #1,638 of 2,060
@dstubked if you stay on Ethernet to the Bartok, a good interim tweak could be to add 2 media converters with a fibre run between your router and NUC - preferably with the media converters on LPS. I have had good results since doing this a while back.

Sep 9, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #1,639 of 2,060
Sep 9, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #1,640 of 2,060
@dstubked if you stay on Ethernet to the Bartok, a good interim tweak could be to add 2 media converters with a fibre run between your router and NUC - preferably with the media converters on LPS. I have had good results since doing this a while back.
Yeah thats something I am thinking of. Just thinking about the best way to do things. I got an etherregen connecting both the NUC and the Bartok on the A side and on the B side I have it connected to my router upstream. In this case, I reckon the fibre channel should be on the B side of the etherregen.

Sep 9, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #1,641 of 2,060
Yeah thats something I am thinking of. Just thinking about the best way to do things. I got an etherregen connecting both the NUC and the Bartok on the A side and on the B side I have it connected to my router upstream. In this case, I reckon the fibre channel should be on the B side of the etherregen.
In this case your Ethernet is already well treated. You would add a media converter at the router end, something like a TP-Link MC220L with a SFP module. Then run fibre to your EtherRegen, which would also need a SFP module to connect the fibre. Then a short Ethernet run out from your EtherRegen to the Bartok. Not sure how much benefit this would bring, given that the EtherRegen is already doing most the heavy lifting.

Edit: Have you considered feeding the EtherRegen clock input from the Bartok? Might bring some benefit (not sure, but I imagine it would).

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #1,642 of 2,060
I'm just curious why will you say that?
The Ethernet implementation on the Bartok is already really good.
Replacing it with an external one might tweak some things but not necessarily improve it.

It's sort of like having an already great amplifier and then using the pre out into another great amplifier.
Different but not necessarily better.

Sep 9, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #1,643 of 2,060
In this case your Ethernet is already well treated. You would add a media converter at the router end, something like a TP-Link MC220L with a SFP module. Then run fibre to your EtherRegen, which would also need a SFP module to connect the fibre. Then a short Ethernet run out from your EtherRegen to the Bartok. Not sure how much benefit this would bring, given that the EtherRegen is already doing most the heavy lifting.

Edit: Have you considered feeding the EtherRegen clock input from the Bartok? Might bring some benefit (not sure, but I imagine it would).
Thanks for the advice on the fibre connection. I can't clock the EtherRegen direct from the Bartok since the Bartok offers only a wordclock output. The EtherRegen takes a 10mhz clock input so I believe it won't work. I have a Mutec Ref10 and clocking the EtherRegen. From the Mutec Ref10 I have 2 x Mutec MC3+ USB being clocked by the same Ref10 which in turn will clock the Bartok on both 44.1 and 48 khz.

Sep 10, 2022 at 1:56 AM Post #1,644 of 2,060
Thanks for the advice on the fibre connection. I can't clock the EtherRegen direct from the Bartok since the Bartok offers only a wordclock output. The EtherRegen takes a 10mhz clock input so I believe it won't work. I have a Mutec Ref10 and clocking the EtherRegen. From the Mutec Ref10 I have 2 x Mutec MC3+ USB being clocked by the same Ref10 which in turn will clock the Bartok on both 44.1 and 48 khz.
Lovely setup. I didn't see your signature (until now). I'm not sure you can squeeze much more SQ out without significant spend. Slightly off-topic so please forgive me, but may I ask your opinion on the EtherRegen? It's been on my radar for a long while.

Sep 10, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #1,645 of 2,060
Lovely setup. I didn't see your signature (until now). I'm not sure you can squeeze much more SQ out without significant spend. Slightly off-topic so please forgive me, but may I ask your opinion on the EtherRegen? It's been on my radar for a long while.
No worries at all! To be honest, I did not perform an in-depth before and after in my setup with the EtherRegen. My goal was to optimize my setup by eliminating would be problems and the EtherRegen certainly fits that bill. There is a really long thread on the EtherRegen on the audiophilestyle forum full of praises and the impact the EtherRegen brings if that helps your decision. Since my goal has always been around optimising the setup, doing a fiber run definitely helps with the electrical isolation even further in my case 🤟🏻🤟🏻

Sep 11, 2022 at 1:23 AM Post #1,647 of 2,060
The Ethernet implementation on the Bartok is already really good.
Replacing it with an external one might tweak some things but not necessarily improve it.

It's sort of like having an already great amplifier and then using the pre out into another great amplifier.
Different but not necessarily better.
dCS DACs are designed for ethernet as the top choice for connections, and dCS themselves do not recommend spending money on upgraded ethernet cables, switches, etc. That's one of the main reasons I moved away from MDave and USB connections.

Sep 11, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #1,648 of 2,060
dCS DACs are designed for ethernet as the top choice for connections, and dCS themselves do not recommend spending money on upgraded ethernet cables, switches, etc. That's one of the main reasons I moved away from MDave and USB connections.
Couldn't agree more with your comments on MDave.

I was able to sell my MDave, streamer, USB conditioner and 3 x LPS, not to mention quite a few other cables just moving away from MDave to the Bartok.

Sonically I would even add the Bartok is a step up from my MDave setup and couldn't be happier!

The only thing I wasn't so pleased was I am not really enjoying the sound of my Susvara out from the Bartok both with the internal and an external amp. On the other hand, the Utopia is rocking out from the Bartok! Important lesson in synergy!

Sep 11, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #1,649 of 2,060
The only thing I wasn't so pleased was I am not really enjoying the sound of my Susvara out from the Bartok both with the internal and an external amp. On the other hand, the Utopia is rocking out from the Bartok! Important lesson in synergy!
The Bartok headamp does not drive the Susvara anywhere close to its potential. With Bartok on DAC duties and Kinki EX-M1+ as amp, the Susvara sings from the rooftops. I know there are conflicting reviews on the Bartok driving the Sus, but having had a glimpse of what the Sus is capable of, the Bartok headamp is simply not up to the task… the DAC, however, is a different story.

Sep 11, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #1,650 of 2,060
The Bartok headamp does not drive the Susvara anywhere close to its potential. With Bartok on DAC duties and Kinki EX-M1+ as amp, the Susvara sings from the rooftops. I know there are conflicting reviews on the Bartok driving the Sus, but having had a glimpse of what the Sus is capable of, the Bartok headamp is simply not up to the task… the DAC, however, is a different story.
I have heard the Sus on many amps. I feel the Bartok does a good job with it. Not the absolute best, but still excellent IMHO. I could see someone living with it and updating later as they desire.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back