dCS Bartok
Dec 23, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #1,186 of 2,064
spot on, everyones hearing is different as are preferences plus nobody has the exact same equipment or listen to the same music

Dec 24, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #1,187 of 2,064
Why is it in all Audiophile forums some people think everything is an absolute when it comes to what constitutes the best in Audio? Some people seem so sure about certain brands/models and would challenge you to the death over this OPINION! When it comes down to it that's what it really is, just an OPINION! All ears and hearing are not created equal and since EVERYONE has different associated equipment and music tastes no two peoples listening experiences will be the same! Please get a life and stop believing that other people's opinions do not matter. Amazing to me how some people seem to be so sure of themselves like any of this is actually scientific or something! Even the so-called experts (Professionals) can't agree on this stuff!
Well said, but this isn’t related to just audiophile forums. I want to say this is any hobby, on any social platform.

Dec 24, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #1,188 of 2,064
Why is it in all Audiophile forums some people think everything is an absolute when it comes to what constitutes the best in Audio? Some people seem so sure about certain brands/models and would challenge you to the death over this OPINION! When it comes down to it that's what it really is, just an OPINION! All ears and hearing are not created equal and since EVERYONE has different associated equipment and music tastes no two peoples listening experiences will be the same! Please get a life and stop believing that other people's opinions do not matter. Amazing to me how some people seem to be so sure of themselves like any of this is actually scientific or something! Even the so-called experts (Professionals) can't agree on this stuff!

Great post.

Well said, but this isn’t related to just audiophile forums. I want to say this is any hobby, on any social platform.

Also true lol

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #1,189 of 2,064
I just picked up the Bartok and am hoping someone can help this non tech savvy guy. The manual says to connect the Bartok via ethernet to my router, my router is 3 floors away and not in an area I can keep the Bartok. Will connecting the Bartok via ethernet to a Mac that is connected via wifi to my network work? If not, can you recommend any work arounds?

I assume I can connect via usb to the Mac. Is the Ethernet connection preferable and will I loose any sound quality or features if using a USB connection.

Thanks to anyone who can offer help to a new Bartok owner.

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #1,190 of 2,064
Depending on the type of router you have, most have the option of getting what’s called a satellite unit - these are often used to extend your wi fi coverage but also can serve as a wired ethernet source. If you have three floors you might stand to benefit from a satellite anyway.

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #1,191 of 2,064
Depending on the type of router you have, most have the option of getting what’s called a satellite unit - these are often used to extend your wi fi coverage but also can serve as a wired ethernet source. If you have three floors you might stand to benefit from a satellite anyway.
Thank you. I have an EERO mesh router with a satellite repeater (or whatever it's called) on the floor where the Bartok will live. Can I just plug the Bartok into the Ethernet port on the back of that satellite?

Dec 28, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #1,192 of 2,064
Thank you. I have an EERO mesh router with a satellite repeater (or whatever it's called) on the floor where the Bartok will live. Can I just plug the Bartok into the Ethernet port on the back of that satellite?
Yes

Dec 28, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #1,194 of 2,064
always better to use a direct cable connection, I learned that the hard way over the years

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #1,196 of 2,064
I never had good luck with repeaters but perhaps others have had better luck...I go straight out of my router

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #1,197 of 2,064
Fantastic. I think you just saved me a lot of time, and probably frustration. The Susvara and Utopia are itching to get plugged into the Bartok. Just need to figure out Mosaic, or maybe Roon will make an easy connection.

Thanks again for your help.
Roon should work perfectly with the Bartok. Mosaic is pretty good though - I use Qobuz as a service and it works perfectly.

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #1,198 of 2,064
One day with the Bartok and wow, just WOW. How is that for an in-depth audiophile review? Tonight I'm going to setup an Auris Audio Headonia tube amp and the DanaTone Head-Space and see how they sound with the Bartok. I had been using the Chord TT2/Mscaler with those amps so I'm eager to hear them with the Bartok.

A few early experience questions I'm hoping for some guidance on.

When I play the same song from Roon and Mosaic the Mosaic versions seems to sound better. Is that just my brain playing tricks, or are their settings in Roon for the Bartok that could be causing it, or something else?

At times, when one song ends there is a noticeable double click coming from inside the Bartok (not through the headphones) is this normal?

When playing Tidal MQA files through Roon I see MQA on the Bartok display, when playing the same song thorough Mosaic I don't see MQA on the Bartok screen. Does this have something to do with the filters I have set?

I very briefly tried Expanse 1 and 2. Do many Bartok owners prefer them?

Is there a break-in period for the Bartok that you have noticed changes the sound much after "X" hours of usage?

Thanks to any and all owners who can help with advise on my new journey.

Warm regards,
Ken

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #1,199 of 2,064
The clicks are the unit changing bit rates.

Dec 29, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #1,200 of 2,064
One day with the Bartok and wow, just WOW. How is that for an in-depth audiophile review? Tonight I'm going to setup an Auris Audio Headonia tube amp and the DanaTone Head-Space and see how they sound with the Bartok. I had been using the Chord TT2/Mscaler with those amps so I'm eager to hear them with the Bartok.

A few early experience questions I'm hoping for some guidance on.

When I play the same song from Roon and Mosaic the Mosaic versions seems to sound better. Is that just my brain playing tricks, or are their settings in Roon for the Bartok that could be causing it, or something else?

At times, when one song ends there is a noticeable double click coming from inside the Bartok (not through the headphones) is this normal?

When playing Tidal MQA files through Roon I see MQA on the Bartok display, when playing the same song thorough Mosaic I don't see MQA on the Bartok screen. Does this have something to do with the filters I have set?

I very briefly tried Expanse 1 and 2. Do many Bartok owners prefer them?

Is there a break-in period for the Bartok that you have noticed changes the sound much after "X" hours of usage?

Thanks to any and all owners who can help with advise on my new journey.

Warm regards,
Ken
Congrats Ken!
More than a few people have mentioned that they thought music sounds better from Mosaic than Roon. No one can say why that would be, but some swear by it.
Also check out the dcs forum. There is tons to learn! https://dcs.community/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back