dCS Bartok
Dec 23, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #692 of 2,060
This is an exciting feature. The white paper reveals a carefully thought out strategy and implementation.

Would you say this is a subtle or more dramatic effect?

The changes in sound from using the different filters is quite subtle. The change in sound from switching the upsampling between DXD and DSD is very subtle.

Now when you turn the normal cross feed on, it’s a very noticeable change in sound; and it’s the same when you switch Expanse on, either from crossfeed off or on. Once year hear Expanse I don’t think you will want to use cross feed ’on’. Normal cross feed seems to mute/mask the lower end compared to no cross feed or compared to using Expanse.

Expanse sounds like cross feed done properly and doesn’t have the same sonic drawbacks you hear from normal cross feed. So now it’s a real choice between ‘off’ and one of the Expanse settings.

This is my opinion from listening and writing this with Mumford & Sons playing whilst switching between settings.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #693 of 2,060
The changes in sound from using the different filters is quite subtle. The change in sound from switching the upsampling between DXD and DSD is very subtle.

Now when you turn the normal cross feed on, it’s a very noticeable change in sound; and it’s the same when you switch Expanse on, either from crossfeed off or on. Once year hear Expanse I don’t think you will want to use cross feed ’on’. Normal cross feed seems to mute/mask the lower end compared to no cross feed or compared to using Expanse.

Expanse sounds like cross feed done properly and doesn’t have the same sonic drawbacks you hear from normal cross feed. So now it’s a real choice between ‘off’ and one of the Expanse settings.

This is my opinion from listening and writing this with Mumford & Sons playing whilst switching between settings.

Thanks for this. I also thought the different filters and DXD/DSD settings were subtle, for fine-tuning. I'm glad to know that the "Expanse" feature is "noticeable," to a similar degree as crossfeed.

Still, it sounds like Expanse does not transform the sound to a speaker-like presentation as with Smyth or BAACH products. I'd assume that it is not the goal and fidelity to the source file is more important.

Is this accurate?

Dec 23, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #694 of 2,060
Thanks for this. I also thought the different filters and DXD/DSD settings were subtle, for fine-tuning. I'm glad to know that the "Expanse" feature is "noticeable," to a similar degree as crossfeed.

Still, it sounds like Expanse does not transform the sound to a speaker-like presentation as with Smyth or BAACH products. I'd assume that it is not the goal and fidelity to the source file is more important.

Is this accurate?
I would say it is not an in front of speakers sound, but a shift; and yes it’s true to source or seems accurate when compared to turning all crossfeed effects off.

Dec 24, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #696 of 2,060
Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #697 of 2,060
Darko's article adds absolutely nothing to what dCS has already said. Its a complete regurgitation and the guy doesnt even seem to have listened himself. Its worthless.

Yeah, it's just more of an announcement. He's a Bartok owner and fan, so it would be great if he does a proper review. But, if it is just a version of crossfeed, that's not likely.

I'd love get some more firsthand impressions as well.

Dec 24, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #698 of 2,060
I keep getting a 'error processing update' message. Any suggestions? Tried restarting a bunch of times but no luck

Dec 24, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #699 of 2,060
Yeah, it's just more of an announcement. He's a Bartok owner and fan, so it would be great if he does a proper review. But, if it is just a version of crossfeed, that's not likely.

I'd love get some more firsthand impressions as well.

Yes I think you are spot on, its just an announcement; I was, ahem, expecting too much :O

So i find it tough to describe what happens to the normal sound when you turn on Expanse. But here goes a few more examples.

I am listening to California Soil, the new track by London Grammer.

No crossfeed - i am in the middle of the music and its totally clear all around me. Wonderful sound.

Expanse 2 - Feels like i sat back in my chair and there is more of an emphasis on the lower end of the spectrum. It almost sounds like a shift down in tone, but this isnt quite right as Hannah's vocals dont shift in tone, they move a little; but that i think is the 'sitting back in your chair' thing.

Yep, definitely tough to describe, but its worthy of a listen if you get the chance and its much better than standard crossfeed, i didnt use that at all, whereas i will likely be using Expanse from time to time.

Dec 24, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #700 of 2,060
I keep getting a 'error processing update' message. Any suggestions? Tried restarting a bunch of times but no luck

Update Mosaic App first, then physically turn off your Bartok for a short period of time, before turning it back on and letting it re-establish its network connection.

Then i set the update going from Mosaic. Downloads software, then starts the update count on the Bartok.

It ran and updated until it asked for a reboot. Again it needed physically turned off then on to do this. Power button is inactive until it reboots.

If you still have issues then get onto the dCS forums and see if you can get advice from the users on there or James from dCS Technical Support.

Link to the thread: Welcome Mosaic 1.1.1 - dCS Products - dCS Community

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #702 of 2,060
Update Mosaic App first, then physically turn off your Bartok for a short period of time, before turning it back on and letting it re-establish its network connection.

Then i set the update going from Mosaic. Downloads software, then starts the update count on the Bartok.

It ran and updated until it asked for a reboot. Again it needed physically turned off then on to do this. Power button is inactive until it reboots.

If you still have issues then get onto the dCS forums and see if you can get advice from the users on there or James from dCS Technical Support.

Link to the thread: Welcome Mosaic 1.1.1 - dCS Products - dCS Community
Done and it worked! Thanks so much

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #703 of 2,060
Has anybody compared the Rossini with the Bartok? Also with and without the Rossini clock?

How do they compared to the DAVE (as a dac)?

I feel like my dac is the weak point in my chain. I’m contemplating buying an external linear power supply for my DAVE and m-scaler. But, at that price, I’m close to the cost of a Rossini. I’m just wondering if I should upgrade my DAVE or just buy a Bartok or Rossini (I’d get the clock later).

Any help is greatly appreciated. :L3000:

Dec 31, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #704 of 2,060
Has anybody compared the Rossini with the Bartok? Also with and without the Rossini clock?

How do they compared to the DAVE (as a dac)?

I feel like my dac is the weak point in my chain. I’m contemplating buying an external linear power supply for my DAVE and m-scaler. But, at that price, I’m close to the cost of a Rossini. I’m just wondering if I should upgrade my DAVE or just buy a Bartok or Rossini (I’d get the clock later).

Any help is greatly appreciated. :L3000:

An interesting question which I've been thinking about as well. The feedback on the Dave thread on upgrading the power supply seems generally positive.

Certainly feel going Dave to Rossini might be a better option than investing more money in upgrading a Dave. Feedback of the Rossini is pretty universal positive plus the Rossini just looks amazing.

Dec 31, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #705 of 2,060
An interesting question which I've been thinking about as well. The feedback on the Dave thread on upgrading the power supply seems generally positive.

Certainly feel going Dave to Rossini might be a better option than investing more money in upgrading a Dave. Feedback of the Rossini is pretty universal positive plus the Rossini just looks amazing.

It might be a better option sonically, but the price difference is absolutely colossal going from a DAVE to a Rossini DAC. They are nearly £20k now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back