dCS Bartok
Aug 11, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #586 of 2,046
Only time will tell if us Bartok owners are treated to a nice firmware upgrade that is more than a few minor enhancements. We don't need one, lets be honest the Bartok is a great piece of kit, but do we 'want' one... oh yeah.

I remain positive that this is a definite possibility for the future development of the Bartok.
No argument from me :)

Aug 11, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #587 of 2,046
Do you go to all threads that you do not plan to own to tell there why :) I mean @adrianm you do not ask any questions from owners, have any listening experience to share etc. You are the guy driving an old Volkswagen Polo telling the guys in an Audi A6 thread that you are going to buy a VW Arteon very soon..

Your posts do not add any value to the thread, since you appeared here there is not more information to the reader imho.
"asked and answered " since you're such a "Suits" fan :)
Might not be helpful to you, but some people did help me make a decision. And i didn't untill yesterday. There was a 5 week wait time for the "Arteon" order, and 3 months for the A6.
If you do end up getting one of them, hope you enjoy it as much as i do mine :) . Or at least the bragging rights since it seems like that's more your kinda thing. Whatever floats your boat.

Aug 12, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #588 of 2,046
Bartok actually is much cheaper then people think, especially if you break it down:

- good quality streamer,
- outstanding DAC section,
- very decent class A headphone module with a balanced output,

All in one elegant box solution, saving therefore desk space and what's more important, all the additional power and signal cables, which can be a substantial cost when going for a two/three box option.

For me dCS Bartok it is sonically such a complete package (realistic weight to each note, hence the music has a proper body/mass, plus the sense of space), even with the original software, that personally I wouldn't care much about any future upgrades, but if they are released, then great.

I am fairly sure that most people that are interested in Bartok also know that it’s a three in one elegant box solution and are calculating with that in mind.

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #589 of 2,046
I am fairly sure that most people that are interested in Bartok also know that it’s a three in one elegant box solution and are calculating with that in mind.
Yeah, that's why i was here, but after some testing i call bs on streamers as a whole. I have no need for one and have seen no evidence for any sq differences between sources. Except maybe playback software and conection types.So that advantage went out the window for me.

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #590 of 2,046
Yeah, that's why i was here, but after some testing i call bs on streamers as a whole. I have no need for one and have seen no evidence for any sq differences between sources. Except maybe playback software and conection types.So that advantage went out the window for me.

I can assure you that there are sound quality differences between sources. The best way to distinguish the difference, that counts, is by listen - it's what music and high fidelity is all about :smiling_imp:.

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #591 of 2,046
I have no need for one and have seen no evidence for any sq differences between sources

Interesting if this is your finding. I used to have the Chord Hugo TT2 and when connected to my imac via the streamer section in my current Naim NDX2 there was a very noticeable improvement in soundstage realism (its depth/gradation of plans) in addition to that the whole music sounded more organic, less edgy with better flow.

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #592 of 2,046
I can assure you that there are sound quality differences between sources. The best way to distinguish the difference, that counts, is by listen - it's what music and high fidelity is all about :smiling_imp:.
Well i'll keep testing stuff but if i have to keep looking for differences doesn't seem like this tinkering is worth the time and money.

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #593 of 2,046
Well i'll keep testing stuff but if i have to keep looking for differences doesn't seem like this tinkering is worth the time and money.

It’s okay, your money your choice :darthsmile:

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #594 of 2,046
It’s okay, your money your choice :darthsmile:
It's not just the money, i'm pretty wary of snake oil.i'm sure if i believe in it hard enough i'll "hear a difference " eventually. When i run out of stuff to buy LOL.
What can i say, maybe you guys have higher end speakers/headphones and listen to orchestras all the time. I couldn't spot differences with the pretty varied music i listen to.

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #595 of 2,046
It's not just the money, i'm pretty wary of snake oil.i'm sure if i believe in it hard enough i'll "hear a difference " eventually. When i run out of stuff to buy LOL.
What can i say, maybe you guys have higher end speakers/headphones and listen to orchestras all the time. I couldn't spot differences with the pretty varied music i listen to.
Says the guy driving an Audi A5, while a Skoda Octavia would fulfill the same goal to reach the destination easily..

It is the same...just AudiO

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #596 of 2,046

So what kit were you testing to come to your conclusions? Rather than the blanket statement that its 'bs' you need to explain what testing you have been doing and what hardware etc you were using. You need to justify these kinds of statement or you will lose credibility and just end up polluting the thread.

Pretty sure some comparisons will yield minimal or no benefits, but others potentially a significant benefit.

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #597 of 2,046
So what kit were you testing to come to your conclusions? Rather than the blanket statement that its 'bs' you need to explain what testing you have been doing and what hardware etc you were using. You need to justify these kinds of statement or you will lose credibility and just end up polluting the thread.

Pretty sure some comparisons will yield minimal or no benefits, but others potentially a significant benefit.
I’ve posted before in the relevant threads (Dave and sony Ta) ,didn’t want to spam this thread as it’s offtopic here.mostly a naim nd555 vs a node2i with Dave and Ta ,sounded a bit different ,but it was marginal and usb on the naim vs coax on node.Also a auralic vega g1 streaming to itself vs my mb pro 16 streaming to it.sounded the same

Aug 12, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #598 of 2,046
Says the guy driving an Audi A5, while a Skoda Octavia would fulfill the same goal to reach the destination easily..

It is the same...just AudiO
Well i didn't realize i could spend the difference on a Vivaldi at the time :p Not quite the same thing, but everyone can do as they please :)

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #599 of 2,046
I’ve posted before in the relevant threads (Dave and sony Ta) ,didn’t want to spam this thread as it’s offtopic here.mostly a naim nd555 vs a node2i with Dave and Ta ,sounded a bit different ,but it was marginal and usb on the naim vs coax on node.Also a auralic vega g1 streaming to itself vs my mb pro 16 streaming to it.sounded the same

I know that you can sometimes find so called upgrades to have no effect. That is why I really like companies that do home demo or 30d/60d no fuss returns. Then there is always eBay.

I have two things I want to try out before I buy, with my setup...

1) Decent music server
2) Decent power conditioner like an AQ Niagara, but there are others.

I already tried one Power Conditioner and it had zero effect. But I found there to be a decent improvement from upgrading my NAS psu and my network switch. You can read reviews but they are only a guide; you just have to demo new kit at home for a period of time.

Aug 12, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #600 of 2,046
I know that you can sometimes find so called upgrades to have no effect. That is why I really like companies that do home demo or 30d/60d no fuss returns. Then there is always eBay.

I have two things I want to try out before I buy, with my setup...

1) Decent music server
2) Decent power conditioner like an AQ Niagara, but there are others.

I already tried one Power Conditioner and it had zero effect. But I found there to be a decent improvement from upgrading my NAS psu and my network switch. You can read reviews but they are only a guide; you just have to demo new kit at home for a period of time.
An Isotek Sirius mains filter made a big difference with my Sony TA-ZH1ES before i returned it, haven't checked the effect with Dave,plugged it straight in. Why do you need a music server with Bartok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back