dCS Bartok
Jun 9, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #301 of 2,048
In the same boat. Had my Bartok for about a week now and loving it. Got some new cables at the same time so there is a lot of burn-in going on.:ksc75smile: Hard to know what changes what when it comes to the sound but there sure is a constant improving in sound quality going on. Also waiting for my balanced xlr cable to arrive.

Im so happy I ditched my Hugo TT2.

Jun 9, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #302 of 2,048
In the same boat. Had my Bartok for about a week now and loving it. Got some new cables at the same time so there is a lot of burn-in going on.:ksc75smile: Hard to know what changes what when it comes to the sound but there sure is a constant improving in sound quality going on. Also waiting for my balanced xlr cable to arrive.

Im so happy I ditched my Hugo TT2.

I ditched a TT2 as well to get the Bartok. It is so much better and I had the mscaler as well. The Bartok is better than the Dave plus if you don't need the amp you can get a dac only version. It is even better with a speaker setup.

Jun 9, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #303 of 2,048
No i didn't audition the Clock, but have read extensively about it and spoken to people who have tried the Bartok with and without, it makes a notable improvement in sound, but how much will have to wait until it arrives and settles in. I am also familiar with the argument to skip straight to the Rossini DAC, but that generates a significant amount of additional spend on gear to get the same overall level of functionality.

Jun 9, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #304 of 2,048
I ditched a TT2 as well to get the Bartok. It is so much better and I had the mscaler as well. The Bartok is better than the Dave plus if you don't need the amp you can get a dac only version. It is even better with a speaker setup.

M-scaler was supposed to be my next upgrade. But when I realized what that unit and a network unit would cost me, I set my eyes on the Bartok instead. Big investment for me, but I am so glad I did. Could never totally relax in the sound picture of the TT2.

Jun 9, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #305 of 2,048
I also just received my Bartok a week ago and going through burn-in. For the first week, I have found the resolution of the music to improve each day. Quite amazing.
My next big question is how much improvement the Rossini Clock can make to the Bartok. Would very much look forward to hearing your comments after adding the Rossini Clock to your Bartok. Have you auditioned the clock previously? Thanks for your comments!

You guys keep a guy like me dreaming :xf_cool:

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #306 of 2,048
M-scaler was supposed to be my next upgrade. But when I realized what that unit and a network unit would cost me, I set my eyes on the Bartok instead. Big investment for me, but I am so glad I did. Could never totally relax in the sound picture of the TT2.

While the mscaler did improve the TT2 (wider stage) the Bartok is still better than the combo imo. Also I actually preferred the Dave without the mscaler for most music. The chord gear is great with headphones but lag behind with speakers compared to dCS and MSB to my ears.

Jun 9, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #307 of 2,048
While the mscaler did improve the TT2 (wider stage) the Bartok is still better than the combo imo. Also I actually preferred the Dave without the mscaler for most music. The chord gear is great with headphones but lag behind with speakers compared to dCS and MSB to my ears.

and the Bartok upsamples to either DSD or DXD, you can change it. Then there are the numerous filters that actual make a noticeable difference.

Jun 12, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #308 of 2,048
Question for people. What power cables are you using into your Bartok and has it improved the sound?

I am currently using a Russ Andrews Powerkord Evolution 300 which is made from Kimber Kable. Seems ok, but not tried experimenting yet.

Jun 13, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #309 of 2,048
Hi guys I have a couple of questions I could do with a bit of help with if any of you kind folk know the answers and can spare a moment or two.

1 When using Roon will the Bartok wake from standby on command from a Room remote?

2 When you power on or wake from standby does the Bartok remember which mode it was last in or default back to a start up mode?

3 When using the Bartok direct into a power amp (no pre) are you able to control volume via Roon remote interface?

Cheers

Jun 13, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #310 of 2,048
Hi guys I have a couple of questions I could do with a bit of help with if any of you kind folk know the answers and can spare a moment or two.

1 When using Roon will the Bartok wake from standby on command from a Room remote?

2 When you power on or wake from standby does the Bartok remember which mode it was last in or default back to a start up mode?

3 When using the Bartok direct into a power amp (no pre) are you able to control volume via Roon remote interface?

Cheers

Yes the Bartok will wake from sleep via roon. Once you start playing something it will start up. It will start up with the same settings that you had when it went to sleep. You can even set it up so that it will automatically go to sleep after a set amount of time with no music being played.

The volume can be controlled through the roon remote. You can even set it up so that the volume will only increase to a set level when dragging tha volume slider. This way you don't accidentally damage your speakers. I use the Bartok like this with my formula s as there is no remote control for the amp. It is nice to be able to sit away from the amp and still have volume control.

Jun 13, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #311 of 2,048
Yes the Bartok will wake from sleep via roon. Once you start playing something it will start up. It will start up with the same settings that you had when it went to sleep. You can even set it up so that it will automatically go to sleep after a set amount of time with no music being played.

The volume can be controlled through the roon remote. You can even set it up so that the volume will only increase to a set level when dragging tha volume slider. This way you don't accidentally damage your speakers. I use the Bartok like this with my formula s as there is no remote control for the amp. It is nice to be able to sit away from the amp and still have volume control.

Perfect thanks for the clarification that's exactly the info I was hoping for as I wasn't sure even after a look through the manual.

Just a couple of more questions if I may.

When running in pure dac mode or preamp mode to Poweramp the manual reads like the headphone out sockets are disabled when you select line out mode for the rear connections? I wondered if the headphone outs on the front were empty and you inserted your headphones in the Bartok does it mute the speakers and revert to headphone mode remembering their last setting?

From what I have read it looks like the headphone amp and pre amp function are seperate gain stages I'm not 100% clear if this is the case or if when selecting between the two it's the same gain stage for both and it's the output path that switch's.

Apologies for rambling on a bit.

Cheers

Jun 16, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #312 of 2,048
Hi All, did anyone use the headphone output with ZMF headphones?

I have now the Mscaler with a Hugo 2 and plan to upgrade to a TT2 and then add the Wave cables and then a USB reclocker and then a Streamer and then an ethernet switch and more cables :)

Perhaps the Bartok is the way to go..

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #313 of 2,048
Big price difference in upgrading to a TT2 vs a Bartok.

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #314 of 2,048
Hi All, did anyone use the headphone output with ZMF headphones?

I have now the Mscaler with a Hugo 2 and plan to upgrade to a TT2 and then add the Wave cables and then a USB reclocker and then a Streamer and then an ethernet switch and more cables :)

Perhaps the Bartok is the way to go..

I had the TT2 and mscaler with the auralic Aries g2. To my ears the Bartok is better than that stack. It was also cheaper than the stack as well. I don't have a Bartok with the amp though as I have the liquid platinum and formula s stack.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back